Englander 13-NC not on EPA 2020 list?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MainePatsFan

Nov 24, 2007
Southern Maine
I have been away from this terrific site for too long. (Man I cannot get enough of wood burning, and wood acquiring threads.) I bought an Englander 13NC woodstove 7 years ago, and it is still going strong. So happy to feel the chill in the evening air, means it is almost woodstove season. Anyway, I kept getting this popup to do the EPA survey, so I did. One of the questions asked if I owned an EPA compliant stove, and I was sure I did with the Englander, but I looked it up just to be sure. Imagine my surprise when I saw that it was EPA compliant until the NSPS 2020 standards: https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodstove/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.appliancerecord&appliancesID=181

So what happened? This loyal little stove that has served me so well, providing cozy heat and ambiance for almost 8 heating seasons is suddenly a bad guy? Sorry, I am sure there are EPA 2020 threads where I could find out what the new standards are, but I am just so disappointed. Not once have I seen too much smoke escaping my chimney. In fact I am amazed sometimes when my little Englander is burning nicely at 500 degree, when I go outside and all I see is heat haze rising out of the chimney.

Several stoves are not on the 2020 list. Some will come back after redesign or retesting and some are gone forever. So far the 13-NC is MIA.

Last edited:
I think you would still answer the question yes, your stove is epa certified. Just not epa certified to 2020 standards.

Yes, most of us own pre-2020 stoves. They are still allowed, even in states with strict requirements. They just can't be sold new.

Thank goodness that stove was pulled off the list, maybe that's why Englander didn't want to invest into fixing the door warpage issues on the last few factory batches, sorry but that whole thing got me all steamed up, my friend with 2 little kids and not much of a pot to piss in was trying to buy one last year, glad I went with him and saw the issue, he would have gotten a dangerous stove, and hosed by the company at the same time.

Thank goodness that stove was pulled off the list, maybe that's why Englander didn't want to invest into fixing the door warpage issues on the last few factory batches, sorry but that whole thing got me a
The recent manufacturing defects there have been troubling, but not limited to the 13-NC. A few people posting issues here are not representative of the many that have no issues. Problems are what bring many people here in the first place.
The stove design itself is fine, working well in thousands of homes and owned by many H.com members. It just didn't pass the 2020 requirements evidently. I hope they return with a stove in this size range again.

The NC13 had door warping issues too? I thought that was just with the newer Madison stoves?

The NC13 had door warping issues too? I thought that was just with the newer Madison stoves?
I thought that the user reported the face of the stove had a warp in it, but only found one thread without pics. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah, not sure or aware about recent manufacturing defects. Like I said, I bought this stove 7 years ago. We need various levels of woodstoves so that wood burning does not become yet another luxury only available to the elite. The Englander series was a quality series of stoves for the everyman. Heck I could have afforded a top of the line stove but I grew up poor in a single-wide trailer so I still consider myself an everyman and I budget for the everyman.

Yeah, not sure or aware about recent manufacturing defects. Like I said, I bought this stove 7 years ago. We need various levels of woodstoves so that wood burning does not become yet another luxury only available to the elite. The Englander series was a quality series of stoves for the everyman. Heck I could have afforded a top of the line stove but I grew up poor in a single-wide trailer so I still consider myself an everyman and I budget for the everyman.
Englander stoves are still here as are the budget sbi lines and the crappy us stove ones. There are still various levels of stoves.

Reactions: Sailrmike
Hah, US stoves. Guess I mean affordable, quality stoves that won't burn the homes of the poor down. :)
You did notice I said they were crappy right? They have had a few ones on par with Englander stuff but overall pretty bad.

But Englander and sbi are still here

You did notice I said they were crappy right? They have had a few ones on par with Englander stuff but overall pretty bad.

But Englander and sbi are still here

I was probably unfair. I only know of their $299 stove. I try to fight my snob impulse. I just tend to think that you can't find any safe stove for under $500.

I was probably unfair. I only know of their $299 stove. I try to fight my snob impulse. I just tend to think that you can't find any safe stove for under $500.
I think that is probably true. But they have stuff priced similar to englanders stuff