Seeking inexpensive 75%+ stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Casbeck

Aug 7, 2007
WA state
I'm grateful for this thread; shopping now for small, simple efficient stove. Budget is super tight. I was looking for used stoves on CL and FB, but also want efficiency.

Can any of you spot the least expensive option on the EPA list, small?https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodstove/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.searchResults

So many manufacturers don't list prices, and I'm exhausted from contacting dealers. Some are not aware of this credit yet. One tried to sell me a Country stove, now IronStrike brand, Tahoma 1600. Told me it's EPA efficiency rating is 75%, but on database it's only 70%.

This stove is for a split level remodel, will be secondary heat source (also shopping for a heat pump mini-split).

Thanks in advance. I love this site/forum!

Moved the inquiry to its own thread.

What size stove? How large an area will the stove be heating? The Pleasant Hearth GWS-2200 is probably the cheapest stove on this list.

I'm grateful for this thread; shopping now for small, simple efficient stove. Budget is super tight. I was looking for used stoves on CL and FB, but also want efficiency.

Can any of you spot the least expensive option on the EPA list, small?https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodstove/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.searchResults

So many manufacturers don't list prices, and I'm exhausted from contacting dealers. Some are not aware of this credit yet. One tried to sell me a Country stove, now IronStrike brand, Tahoma 1600. Told me it's EPA efficiency rating is 75%, but on database it's only 70%.

This stove is for a split level remodel, will be secondary heat source (also shopping for a heat pump mini-split).

You may be in my part of the state. Country brand was made in Auburn for many years and established a strong local following.

Good for you for finding the EPA database so that you can call BS on the marketing/dealer's misleading tactics. That's an important benefit of the EPA list.

I just helped a friend put in a Englander 2000 sq ft stove (I believe its called the madison) $899 at homedepot. I was impressed with the stoves construction, pretty heavy duty and the door by far blew me away (much much better then the old 17vl) The only thing I didnt like was the cheapo blower, but there's an upgrade option for that to from Englander) Firebox size seemed ok, can fit up to 20" splits n/s loading and it has a 2 - 3" belly so ash wont have to be scooped out for at least 5 days depending how hard your running it.

I just helped a friend put in a Englander 2000 sq ft stove (I believe its called the madison) $899 at homedepot. I was impressed with the stoves construction, pretty heavy duty and the door by far blew me away (much much better then the old 17vl) The only thing I didnt like was the cheapo blower, but there's an upgrade option for that to from Englander) Firebox size seemed ok, can fit up to 20" splits n/s loading and it has a 2 - 3" belly so ash wont have to be scooped out for at least 5 days depending how hard your running it.
That is 74% efficient. It just misses the mark for the tax credit.

That is 74% efficient. It just misses the mark for the tax credit.
ohhhhhhh, and they did a pretty good job with that stove, my friend is very happy with the purchase

ohhhhhhh, and they did a pretty good job with that stove, my friend is very happy with the purchase
Yeah, it's pretty irritating that one percent difference disqualifies it for the credit, especially when the changeout could be magnitudes cleaner than an old stove.

You could be me and get that sweet sweet $300 for my 2019 install lol. Hey it's free money but does sting a bit to miss the better credit.

Moved the inquiry to its own thread.

What size stove? How large an area will the stove be heating? The Pleasant Hearth GWS-2200 is probably the cheapest stove on this list.

THANK you, I wasn't aware of the Pleasant Hearth brand, sold at Big Box stores. I can get this stove at ACE Hardware for under 1K, plus with a coupon, maybe free delivery!

Searching for reviews potential issues with such an inexpensive stove...
WOW: this intake issue. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pleasant-hearth-ws-2417-outside-air-intake-build.182865/

Last edited:

Our main floor is 1500 sq ft. It's in a large (for us) open plan living room 500-700 sq ft. Other areas are bedrooms.

I wonder why so many of the stoves on the EPA 75% efficiency list are large...

THANK you, I wasn't aware of the Pleasant Hearth brand, sold at Big Box stores. I can get this stove at ACE Hardware for under 1K, plus with a coupon, maybe free delivery!

WOW: this intake issue. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pleasant-hearth-ws-2417-outside-air-intake-build.182865/

Yes be advised that Pleasant Hearth's production and quality control is garbage and their customer service is even worse. That being said if you have some mechanical skills, time, and patience you can make the stove work but if I had it to do over again I would steer clear of Pleasant Hearth.

Yes be advised that Pleasant Hearth's production and quality control is garbage and their customer service is even worse. That being said if you have some mechanical skills, time, and patience you can make the stove work but if I had it to do over again I would steer clear of Pleasant Hearth.

thank you. Makes sense. Get what you pay for. Most stoves I’ve looked into start at $2k.

Any 75% stoves around $1500?
Thanks

The 2200 with the blower is 950 with 11% mail in store credit at Menards. With the 26% tax credit, that is a good deal, if the thing is half decent. It says it is made in the US, which is something at least.

Also keep in mind a decent insulated flexible stainless steel liner will add another $500 plus any installation costs if you don't do it yourself.
$500 for about the cheapest option for a liner that could possibly work. I can't even buy the stuff I use for that price