englander 17-vl baffle replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
I can't figure out how to install the very top baffle even after I remove both air tubes. What's the trick?

Not sure if @Corie is available, but if anyone knows the proper way it would be him.

Last edited:
Corie's profile says he was last seen on Nov 2, 2015. Should I try to start a private conversation with him?

Give it a try. He is the stove designer. Also, have you checked with Englander tech support?

No response from Corie, and even Englander tech support cannot figure this out! I notice that the corners of the broken upper baffle that I am replacing look somewhat "shaved off". I'm wondering whether this was necessary to do at the factory to make the upper baffle fit? Has anyone on this forum tried to do a replacement on a 17-VL?

I finally got the baffle installed. There's no trick - I had to bend and almost break the board to do it. I noticed that both pieces of angle iron (supporting the rear corners of the baffle) are bent toward the back of the stove, as if the manufacturer made a mistake. I wonder if this is true of all 17-VL models.