Englander 17vl installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally665

Oct 3, 2014
Livonia, MI
I was looking for any tips or advice on installing the chimney for my wood stove before it arrives. I am currently on furlough from my job and have only a few days left to complete this project. I have ordered my stove FOUR times now (Englander 17vl or the equivalent as a summers heat, timber ridge) Once from Home Depot they called same day to say out of stock for next few weeks. Then dixie products who showed it in stock only to determine this was not the case and they had no idea when they would have it again. Then from ACE Hardware, they told me in a email six days after placing my order and charging my credit card that they couldnt fill my order without any explanation. Now I ordered a refurb from am fm energy last night. Hopefully I dont get jerked around yet again... Anyways sorry for the rant its just flustrating.

I have all the piping and adapters (supervent from menards) and will be doing a through the ceiling (flat) one story home install. I have zero experience with wood stoves and installation, but am quite handy. I already built my hearth to specs for the stove and am wondering if I create a model/template of the top of the stove and use that to determine pipe location will I be okay, or am I better off waiting to receive the actual stove. Any advice would be appreciated!

That does sound frustrating. Yes, it is possible, but it sure would be better to have the stove there to take measurements off of. If you do go ahead I would add a bit to the stove clearances to provide a bit of wiggle room. The ceiling joist alignment may also come into play. This may affect stove placement as well.

Will you be able to get 15 ft of vertical flue on the stove?

15ft is the required height. Sounds like you will be ok. This stove will want dry, fully seasoned wood.

So I poked a hole in the ceiling to check attic location where the pipe will be going. The englander 17vl states 8 inch minimum from rear of stove from combustibles using double wall pipe. I already installed a quartz stone wall with thinset over my drywall where the chimney will be in front of (1/2" depth at thinnest area). How close can I safely move the stove closer to the wall. How close can double wall be to this wall? Debating on looking into getting some angled pipe, like a 15 degree elbow kit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.