Englander 25-PDV basement installation - Air intake set up question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbartman613

Nov 3, 2014
North East USA
Hello folks,

I wasn't able to locate the answer to my question in the forum so my apologies if this is a repeat topic.

I just recently purchased an Englander 25-PDV pellet stove that I plan to install within the lower level family of my raised ranch house. This lower level room is about 3 ft subterranean with the remaining section of the room being above ground. In such an instance, would I be able to use Englanders outside air kit to supply my stove with fresh air or should I use the 3 inch diameter pipe to supply the fresh air? My assumption is the latter but I haven't been able to find any reducers that connect 3 inch pipe to the 1.5 inch air inlet pipe on the back of the stove...

Has anyone else installed this model of stove in a basement and used the 3 inch diameter pipe to supply their stove with fresh air? If so, would you be willing to share insight, part numbers or images that will help me with this installation?

Thank you in advance for any insight that can be provided :).

Mine is a 25-PVDP (I just found out today!) ... so is a bit different. It has a 2" fresh air connector. There is a rule of thumb, as to when you need to go up a larger size (in my case 2", to 3" .. but seems like it was something like 12 or 18' ... if the horizontal run is over so much, or if there are too many 90 degree connectors. (Sorry .. can't remember the particulars. Mine is installed in the basement as well. Although my vent pipe went straight out (after raising the stove about 5-6" off the floor), it barely cleared ground level for the cleanout. I ran the fresh air intake up to the vertical wood area above the sill plate (flat wood board sitting on top of the poured concrete wall. I would think you could use the standard pipe (1.5") to go up that far, and stubbed it out, or put a 90deg drop at the end, outside (it will need a heavy wire screen in it). Otherwise, if the 1 1/2" pipe is the standard PVC size, you should be able to go from that to some 2"+ size, then to the 3". Less restriction is better, so I wouldn't think up-sizing to 3" would be a bit better.

So ... my 2" (all PVC) went straight back about 2' to a 90 elbow, then up to the top of the concrete basement wall (the equivalent of a 14 block wall), another 90 degree, then < 2' out through the wood and siding, then another 90 degree down, with the metal screen in it. One wall stand-off/support about 1/2 way up the concrete wall, on the inside. Just to be safe, I put a couple brick spacers under the vertical run of the pipe, for it to set on. Everything will be glued up this weekend, as it passed building inspection today. My profile photo shows a bit of it. The only pipe showing is the 2" PVC, as the 3" vent pipe goes straight out the back, through the wall, to a 'T' clean-out, then up 4" to a hood.

Sorry, not many specifics there ... but 'some' insight, anyway. ;-)

My 25pdvc has the same connector.....I installed the stove in the basement, used 3 inch aluminum flex for the OAK, and had the local muffler shop fab up an adaptor...worked great!

Status
Not open for further replies.