Englander 25-PDV Blows Fuse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vultage

Dec 1, 2017
NH
This is my first experience with any pellet stove. My fiance' had bought it new in 2006. I just started researching, and learning about these stoves, hoping to get it back up and running for supplimentary heat.

First,.. I took everything apart and cleaned everywhere I could. I installed the outside air intake kit. (10yrs it ran without). I added a surge protector. I got the lower auger cleaned out, and unjammed. I believe it needs both auger bearings, as the augers feel like they are just flopping around in the tubes.

I noticed that someone had bypassed the vacuume switch for the top auger. I replaced the wires, figuring, I would replace the switch if needed, but it was probly bypassed for the wrong reason,(dirty stove?). I also did a hard reset, as I have no idea what others may have done in the past.

The first test run, about an hour in,. .I noticed that the room blower had still not kicked on, even tho heat was starting to pick up, I felt the blower motor and it was Super Hot!!! At that point, I disconnected the blower wires. About 10mins after I disconnected them, the stoves main fuse blew. I thought maybe the bad motor may have weakened the fuse, so the next day, I tried again, but with the room blower fan disconnected the whole time. After an hour and 20mins,.. the fuse blew again.

Any idea if having the room blower motor disconnected, could cause fuse to blow? How about if that vacuume switch where bad, could that cause the fuse to blow?

I will be putting the new auger bearings in, as well as the new room blower, then will test again, but if the fuse blows then, I will be at a loss, as where to check next.

Oh,.. after fuse blew,.. I replaced it, and put stove into shutdown mode, at this point, the stove ran fine all the way until it shut off. Not sure if that means anything, but figured I would share all my findings.

With the room blower not working,stove could possibly get hot enough to make a auger motor or combustion blower motor seize,which would blow fuse.Pull room blower,may be just stuck from dog hair or something.

Reading some more,.. I'm wondering if it has something to do with stove getting hot,.. I was expecting stove would shut down with an overheat error, if that were the case,. but not blow the fuse.

Also, I am seeing alot of places have listed as it should have a 6a fuse. Also, a couple where it said 5a. I'm guessing this has to do with manufacture date? I pulled out a 5a fuse, so that is what I got at the hardware store.

Make sure you're getting the correct type of fuse - probably a slow-blow type. A fast blow fuse may not survive the startup current for the motors.

Reactions: Mt Bob
With the room blower not working,moving air around different parts of the stove,could be very easy to overheat a motor(especially older motor),which could blow fuse before temp sensor "sees" an overheat problem.

Make sure you're getting the correct type of fuse - probably a slow-blow type. A fast blow fuse may not survive the startup current for the motors.
I will be receiving CONTROL BOARD FUSE-PART NUMBER: PU-CBF6, today, and will replace for the next test, as well, with new room blower. The replacement fuses are 6a, and say they can be used in boards originally using 5a. However, they do not specify slow or fast blow. These are listed for this model, so I'm assuming they are correct.

So, these should be Slow blow?

Last edited by a moderator:
With the room blower not working,moving air around different parts of the stove,could be very easy to overheat a motor(especially older motor),which could blow fuse before temp sensor "sees" an overheat problem.
Ok,. thats good to know! The new blower, and correct fuses will be here today. Thank you for the replies, I will let you know the results of the next test.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first test run, about an hour in,. .I noticed that the room blower had still not kicked on, even tho heat was starting to pick up, I felt the blower motor and it was Super Hot!!!
Blower motor work at all? At an hour in that stove is overheating? On any old stove and history is not known i would replace all vac and snap disc’s remove, clean lube motor then bench test for 30 min.

Blower motor work at all? At an hour in that stove is overheating? On any old stove and history is not known i would replace all vac and snap disc’s remove, clean lube motor then bench test for 30 min.

Room blower motor did not work at all,. it did have power going to it. That blower motors casing was cooking!!! The ductwork for blower was not much more than room temp, top was barely starting to warm up.

The history is kind of known, by m'lady, however she had an ex who was a bit of a different thinker, I guess, to put it nicely :/ . The top auger does not stop working, so that disk would have to be working, no?

I did remove and lube the other motors, grease auger bushings,. ect. then ran unfired for 2 cycles (40mins) didn't have a problem then.

If the blower is inop don’t run the stove till it’s replaced.

:)

I will be receiving CONTROL BOARD FUSE-PART NUMBER: PU-CBF6, today, and will replace for the next test, as well, with new room blower. The replacement fuses are 6a, and say they can be used in boards originally using 5a. However, they do not specify slow or fast blow. These are listed for this model, so I'm assuming they are correct.

So, these should be Slow blow?

When you get your new ones, take a look at them to get the number off them. You can then get the correct ones - if you should need them. Generally, if there is just a fine wire inside, it's a fast blow; if there is something that looks like a spring connected to the element, it's probably a slow blow. However, the part number will tell you for sure. Google it.

When you get your new ones, take a look at them to get the number off them. You can then get the correct ones - if you should need them. Generally, if there is just a fine wire inside, it's a fast blow; if there is something that looks like a spring connected to the element, it's probably a slow blow. However, the part number will tell you for sure. Google it.
They are gma-5a buss.for his stove.

GMAs are a quick blow fuse, so it appears that the startup current for the motors isn't all that large. Sounds like they're sending 6 amp fuses.

Yes,.. I got the new 6a fuses,.. they were the same type as what I had,. and what I pulled out originally, except those were 5a. After installing the new blower motor,.. it did not blow another fuse, so the 5a is still in there.

It burned all night on setting 1-1. In the morning, I turned it up to 8 with my coffee, then back to 2 when I left for work. That took care of the fuse blowing,.. however now onto my next issue, I will start another thread.

Reactions: Mt Bob