Englander 25-pdv smoke on start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chuckwagon

Feb 24, 2018
catskill ny
I completed my fall clean out including a new combustion blower (complete housing). I got a smoky smell on start up and let it run thinking it was the new blower getting rid of the new smell. I did the flashlight test and spotted smoke on start up. I retightened the blower to the housing to insure the new gasket was seating and resealed all the smoke pipe with 600 degree metal tape. I`m still seeing smoke (not as much as previous, but smoke nonetheless) I cant for the life of me pinpoint where the smoke is leaking from, be it the piping or the blower. Any hints on tracking down this leak? Thanks ,Chuck

It has to be leaking from somewhere you had apart reseal it all

It could be leaking from around the adapter by the exhaust pipe. Mine will sometimes do that when I move my stove out for a deep clean and put it back in place. I just need to make sure the pipes are all lined up and it usally stops ounce it get hot.

I use Red RTV myself. I tossed the combustion fan gasket years ago for Red RTV but I apply the RTV to the fan flange and let it cure before attaching it to the housing. That way it releases easily when it's time to clean it out in the spring

Reactions: johneh