Englander 25-PVD Top Auger Motor Jams?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTmedic

Sep 2, 2014
Connecticut
For the past week. I have had a couple of situations where I have woke to the stove off. Seems the top Auger just stops. I Empty the hopper clean any fines, vacuum and clean everything. I haven't removed the Auger Motor or Auger, however both times It seemed like the Auger was Jammed. I gave the motor a twist and it seemed to clear any jam and works great.

Last night I woke to smoke in the house the stove was off and I had a small fire (Smoldering) pellets in the feed chamber.

I am going to take everything apart this morning however just want to get an idea of what might be causing this other then the obvious.

1. Bad Auger Motor? (How can one check this issue)
2. Pellets jammed causing the auger to bind up?
3. Clogged door vacuum port?

Thanks.
Frank

UPDATE:

Well after cleaning the vacuum door switch and removing the Auger Motor. LOW and behold went to remove the 1/2 bolts (4) from the Auger housing and ALL bolts were only finger tight (if that). I bet I had a large airleak causing backdraft into the hopper. It burned the Auger Gasket, but the motor seems to work fine as does the auger itself so I think the bearing is ok.

Now to find a gasket on a Sunday. It seems Lowes and Home Depot don't really carry parts much around here at all. So guess it might be oil heat until I can get the gasket.

That's just a square gasket.. Does lowes or any hardware store sell high temp gasket? You can buy it in sheets and with a exacto knife just make one your self..

That's just a square gasket.. Does lowes or any hardware store sell high temp gasket? You can buy it in sheets and with a exacto knife just make one your self..

My Englander was build in 2011 and has the new style Nylon Gasket that shields the bearing. Its different then the older PVD's that just used a standard gasket. Its the PU-ABGN that's needed for this stove.

Also try your local automotive supply too. Avoid the rolls if possible, getting them to lay flat is irritating.

edit: to slow on the response

UPDATE:

Well ordered every gasket for this stove and going to do a full change. I had emailed Mike from Englander on Sunday explaining the issue and Monday afternoon. He was calling me to discuss the issues. While I am unhappy that I keep hearing my oil furnace go on. I am very happy with the service the Englander and Mike give. Mike and I are still not sure what might have caused the burn back, however Mike offered up some suggestions after getting the parts to Rule out certain things including switching the motors.

Keeping my fingers crossed however saw today my parts scheduled for Friday delivery were backed up to Next Monday due to a UPS "Sorting Error"

Status
Not open for further replies.