Englander 25pdv Lazy Flame, Pellet Build Up in Burn Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Any of you guys know how the control panel functions to regulate heat? Do you know if it senses the heat and stops the top auger if the fire gets too hot or does the top auger just keep running at its regular interval for the setting it's on?

I ask this because yesterday when I was in the shop I noticed the flame went out, and the top auger wasn't coming on, stove still blowing a ton of heat with cherry red pellets in the pot, a few minutes later the top auger kicked on, flame started right back up.... I did check in the hopper to see if the auger was blocked, and it wasn't. Dont know if I ever noticed that before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any of you guys know how the control panel functions to regulate heat? Do you know if it senses the heat and stops the top auger if the fire gets too hot or does the top auger just keep running at its regular interval for the setting it's on?

I ask this because yesterday when I was in the shop I noticed the flame went out, and the top auger wasn't coming on, stove still blowing a ton of heat with cherry red pellets in the pot, a few minutes later the top auger kicked on, flame started right back up.... I did check in the hopper to see if the auger was blocked, and it wasn't. Dont know if I ever noticed that before?

No it feeds pellets by it's programmed intervals based on the heat level the stove is set at. There does seem to me by observation that there is a certain randomness factored into the how long the auger turns and how often. My stove sometimes does this too and I just attribute it to pellets not always feeding consistently due to their varying lengths.

There is a over fire protection however if the exhaust exceeds a certain temperature I believe the stove will shut down with an error code.

That's correct, I have the 25 PDV I bought new in 08. If I'm using Dry Creek (which I have this year) pellets, I can't run the stove over 7. If I try to it gets so hot that it does shut down, and give me an error code. I have to just cool her down and restart, and all is fine. Its amazing how much heat this stove will put out with a good pellet.

Stove ran all night on 2-7 with the low burn settings on 4-7-1, and I had the same full burn pot. I even set the restrictor plate to block almost half of the opening I had before.

Stove ran all night on 2-7 with the low burn settings on 4-7-1, and I had the same full burn pot. I even set the restrictor plate to block almost half of the opening I had before.
Have you attempted to reset the board again? I know you tried the other day with customer service and was unsuccessful.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Not sure when you say you have a "full burn pot", do you mean its full of burned pellets as ash? Or are you still getting a burn pot with clumped up half burned/ash buildup? One note to think about with the PDV is its not a fill it and forget it type stove.(with an ash holder) After a full night of burning I have a pretty full burn pot of ash. Its all dependent on the brand of pellets, and the higher number I have the stove set on, as to how much. I just use an old burger flipper to flip the ash to the sides, and I'm done with it. Every couple days I shut it down while having coffee and scrape the sides of the burn pot and remove ash under it. Once a week I do a thorough cleaning by taking out the plate, and scrapping all sides, and vacuuming out all the ash from the week. If your getting good heat output, and its burning the pellets to a complete ash, then your doing ok.

Reactions: Hot Foot
Not sure when you say you have a "full burn pot", do you mean its full of burned pellets as ash? Or are you still getting a burn pot with clumped up half burned/ash buildup? One note to think about with the PDV is its not a fill it and forget it type stove.(with an ash holder) After a full night of burning I have a pretty full burn pot of ash. Its all dependent on the brand of pellets, and the higher number I have the stove set on, as to how much. I just use an old burger flipper to flip the ash to the sides, and I'm done with it. Every couple days I shut it down while having coffee and scrape the sides of the burn pot and remove ash under it. Once a week I do a thorough cleaning by taking out the plate, and scrapping all sides, and vacuuming out all the ash from the week. If your getting good heat output, and its burning the pellets to a complete ash, then your doing ok.

What I'm getting in the pot is not ash, its half burned pellets, and they build up pretty quickly. I had no choice but to run the stove all day today, needed to get some work done, and have been spending a lot of time tinkering with the stove. While working I had it on heat 5 / blower 5, had to clear the pot 4 times as it was full to the top. I noticed that the flame would get very small / go out, but the pellet embers were red hot, stove blowing good heat. Then the flame would kick back on again? I didn't care because when it did this, it helped burn up some of the additional pellet build up in the pot.

Did not get a chance to try the rest again, stove is off now, and I will try it in the AM when its cool.

Either this thing is feeding way to many pellets or it can't burn them fast enough.

What I'm getting in the pot is not ash, its half burned pellets, and they build up pretty quickly. I had no choice but to run the stove all day today, needed to get some work done, and have been spending a lot of time tinkering with the stove. While working I had it on heat 5 / blower 5, had to clear the pot 4 times as it was full to the top. I noticed that the flame would get very small / go out, but the pellet embers were red hot, stove blowing good heat. Then the flame would kick back on again? I didn't care because when it did this, it helped burn up some of the additional pellet build up in the pot.

Did not get a chance to try the rest again, stove is off now, and I will try it in the AM when its cool.

Either this thing is feeding way to many pellets or it can't burn them fast enough.

Sounds like what you would see with the stove on A mode. Are the flames lively and "vigorous"? Are they still really tall? I'm wondering if you still are not getting airflow properly through the burn pot?

if you feel the airflow is sufficient then the pellet feed is still too much. Try for the heck of it turning the low fuel feed back to 1 and see what happens.

Any changes?

After all that and your still back at the starting line...I feel your pain. Looks like you have a nicely equipped work shop. Might want to go through this thread on the burn pot.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/25-pdvcs-original-burn-pot.123615/

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/need-help-with-englander-25-pdv.118384/

Wow, that custom burn pot looks pretty sweet, I am going to make one when I get some free time!

As for any additional work on the oven, I have not been out to the shop since Sunday, and am hoping to get out there today. I do have a question for you guys though. All of the gaskets on my stove have been changed except for the hopper? It doesn't seem to be an issue, but when I was working on the restrictor plate I was running the stove without it lit to move the remaining pellets down the auger. Noticed a lot of air flow thru there, made me think about the hopper gasket. Going to see if my local parts place has it in stock.

Wow, that custom burn pot looks pretty sweet, I am going to make one when I get some free time!

As for any additional work on the oven, I have not been out to the shop since Sunday, and am hoping to get out there today. I do have a question for you guys though. All of the gaskets on my stove have been changed except for the hopper? It doesn't seem to be an issue, but when I was working on the restrictor plate I was running the stove without it lit to move the remaining pellets down the auger. Noticed a lot of air flow thru there, made me think about the hopper gasket. Going to see if my local parts place has it in stock.
Sure the stove can suck air through the hopper and yes a bad gasket could affect your burn. I honestly think that based on everything that you have done it would not be a simple fix as just a hopper gasket causing all of your issues. Obviously this is my opinion and sure I could be wrong, but I think not. At this rate you owe it to yourself to change the hopper gasket to see if in fact that could be it so I would go for it! When you get a chance check that board again to see if you can reset it.

Will the hopper on that stove allow you to tape the hopper door shut (temporarily) to see if it makes a difference. There should be no part of that lid that gets too hot I wouldn't think. One way to know without having to change it first. Also the latches for those lids adjust to get the lid to close tighter. It should be quite snug.

Also check this thread regarding a user that got his stove from factory without a sealed auger. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-55-trp-ip-s-aka-25-ip-s.113588/page-7

Different stove model but same manufacturer.

One more idea, something I will do with mine come spring is that I will seal the exhaust outlet and rig up an adapter for the air inlet on the stove so I can feed compressed air into the stove under pressure, maybe 5-10 psi, then go around with a lit cigarette and feeling with my hands for leaks. I will feed it with an air pig so its quiet.

They should be pressure testing these from factory like this using canned smoke but I doubt they are.

Last edited:
The gasket looks to be in good shape, there is no play in the lid once it's locked down.

As for resetting the control board, tried it again just now, won't display the F5.

The gasket looks to be in good shape, there is no play in the lid once it's locked down.

As for resetting the control board, tried it again just now, won't display the F5.

Are you following this for reset:
Unplug the stove from the power outlet.

Plug the power lead back in.

You must press and hold the bottom 3 buttons all at the same time within 4 seconds and wait 3 seconds and then release buttons.

Wait 5 - 10 seconds for the F5 readout display to go blank.

Unplug power lead - wait 5 seconds

Are you following this for reset:
Unplug the stove from the power outlet.

Plug the power lead back in.

You must press and hold the bottom 3 buttons all at the same time within 4 seconds and wait 3 seconds and then release buttons.

Wait 5 - 10 seconds for the F5 readout display to go blank.

Unplug power lead - wait 5 seconds

Yes, Plug in immediately press three lower buttons. Englander tech support had me hold the three buttons in while plugging the unit in to see if that would work no go.

Yes, Plug in immediately press three lower buttons. Englander tech support had me hold the three buttons in while plugging the unit in to see if that would work no go.

I'm sorry.... I just don't know where else to point you at this time. It also sounds like the board is bad since it will not reset. I'm just a little confused since you can change the heat mode, but no reset!!

I'm sorry.... I just don't know where else to point you at this time. It also sounds like the board is bad since it will not reset. I'm just a little confused since you can change the heat mode, but no reset!!

The tech support guy from ESW was confused as well. I am holding all three buttons, and I checked to make sure they all work. Spending $218 because the tech said it's "probably" the board?

The tech support guy from ESW was confused as well. I am holding all three buttons, and I checked to make sure they all work. Spending $218 because the tech said it's "probably" the board?

I just find it odd that all the other buttons work including changing the heat mode so I can sympathize with your concern and I'm hoping maybe someone else will see this on the thread and have something to say about the board issue?

Something is causing lack of airflow through the burnpot and the pellets. If the exhaust blower is fine then something is leaking.

The stove is in D mode is it?

Something is causing lack of airflow through the burnpot and the pellets. If the exhaust blower is fine then something is leaking.

The stove is in D mode is it?

Yes, the stove is in D mode, and I have the Hillman plugs installed on upper and lower holes in the sides of the burn pot.

Yes, the stove is in D mode, and I have the Hillman plugs installed on upper and lower holes in the sides of the burn pot.

What's your next move?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure. The flame always seems to be a large campfire type flame even when running on setting 1-1 or 2-2 with the three lower settings on any combination. The tech said if I set the low burn fuel to 1 that my fire would probably go out, well that's not the case, it still burns very healthy.

The thought of throwing another $200 at a "possible" fix isn't too comforting. Would be nice if I had a friend with the same stove to swap control panels to see what happens. I've been scouring eBay and Craigslist looking for a cheap board with no luck.