Englander 25PDV owners I need help with ash pot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRXL

Jan 7, 2013
Ontario,Canada
I've had this stove now for a few months and called customers service about what I considered a dirty burn, the had me cut back on the feed rate from 6 to 3. Which is fine I now have more control of the heat and a 40lbs of pellets lasts longer, but my burn pot is still overflowing with coarse looking ash within about 8hrs of running on heat setting 2-3. Does the amount of ash in the pics look right? I have nothing to compare them to.
IMG-20121223-00159.jpg IMG-20121223-00160.jpg IMG-20121223-00161.jpg

Some pellets create more ash than others. What kind of pellets are you burning?

It does look somewhat coarse, but the bottom line is.......does it seem to be heating correctly? Also, if I read your post correctly, your bottom 3 buttons are now at 3-4-1? If so, try turning the LBA up to 5, and maybe eventually to 6....see if that clears the "dirty" burn up.

I don't need to ask how many bags of pellets have gone through the unit since it had a complete cleaning (or from when it was new), do I? It was new, or a factory refurb, right?

Premium 60/40 hardwood softwood pellets w/ 1% ash.
John, If I were to offer you a nickel for every bag of wood pellets that you could find that does not say either "premium" or "low ash" somewhere on the bag, you still would not accrue enough money to buy this pack of sugarless gum that I saw on sale at the gas station this morning. They all say it. My point being that some brands will have less ash and some have more ash. What is the brand name of the pellets that you have?

It does look somewhat coarse, but the bottom line is.......does it seem to be heating correctly? Also, if I read your post correctly, your bottom 3 buttons are now at 3-4-1? If so, try turning the LBA up to 5, and maybe eventually to 6....see if that clears the "dirty" burn up.

I don't need to ask how many bags of pellets have gone through the unit since it had a complete cleaning (or from when it was new), do I? It was new, or a factory refurb, right?
You are correct on the lower buttons.
That pics was one bag after a complete clean, and the unit was brand new when I bought it.

Try the higher LBA settings I mentioned......and please give us the NAME of the pellets you're burning.

i'm no expert but that looks like alot of ash for a 8 hr burn. Have you cleaned the ash pot below the wear plate. To me, and i'm no expert by far, it looks like a lack of air flow throw the plate. I get a good amount towards the end of week of burning, and i give it a good emptying and it's good to go.

One thing i've learned from this site is, a clean stove is a happy stove!

I'm sure the experts will chime in shortly.

John, If I were to offer you a nickel for every bag of wood pellets that you could find that does not say either "premium" or "low ash" somewhere on the bag, you still would not accrue enough money to buy this pack of sugarless gum that I saw on sale at the gas station this morning. They all say it. My point being that some brands will have less ash and some have more ash. What is the brand name of the pellets that you have?
The brand is "Canadian Bio Fuel" I bought a skid of it right from the manufacteur.

The brand is "Canadian Bio Fuel" I bought a skid of it right from the manufacteur.
Hmmm....never heard of it. Do yourself a favor and try different stuff, two bags at a clip, and see if you can land something that will create less ash.

As CT Pellet says, you should give some other brands a try. 3-4 bags of each should tell you whether it's the stove or the pellets.

Looking at those pictures it seems that you do not have enough air coming in to burn the fuel. Make sure your OAK is connected correctly if you have one fitted. Also make sure you don't have any leaks on the venting.

When you have it set on 2 or 1 for the heat range, change the LFF to 4 or 5 and the LBA to 5 or 6 and the blower speed on any number from 2 - 5.

looks pretty much the same as mine but with that said...mine is due for the LBT this weekend

Looks pretty much normal to me for a pdv, I scoop mine every 12 hours.

As CT Pellet says, you should give some other brands a try. 3-4 bags of each should tell you whether it's the stove or the pellets.
I'm going to get a few other brands this weekend and try them out.
Looking at those pictures it seems that you do not have enough air coming in to burn the fuel. Make sure your OAK is connected correctly if you have one fitted. Also make sure you don't have any leaks on the venting.

When you have it set on 2 or 1 for the heat range, change the LFF to 4 or 5 and the LBA to 5 or 6 and the blower speed on any number from 2 - 5.
The OAK is not rescricted at all but I will be checking for leaks around the door and hopper lid.

looks pretty much the same as mine but with that said...mine is due for the LBT this weekend
Looks pretty much normal to me for a pdv, I scoop mine every 12 hours.
well thats a little relief, at least someone elses stoves are doing the same thing but I will be giving it a good thorough clean tomorrow along with checking for leaks.

Did you try raising the LBA a couple of numbers as a few of us suggested? 3-5-1 or 3-6-1

Canadian Bio Fuel
A quick look at there web site will tell you that your problem is probably the pellets. Grass and waste paper products may burn in a commercial unit but I don't think anyone has had much luck here with them.

A quick look at there web site will tell you that your problem is probably the pellets. Grass and waste paper products may burn in a commercial unit but I don't think anyone has had much luck here with them.
That sucks! I wish I had known before buying a ton of them. Guess I better do some shopping and figure out where else to get good pellets from.
I have TSC, rona, home depot, and Lowes to choose from. Any suggestions on who or what to look for?

I ve got 40 bags of pellets left, wanna buy them? LOL.

I wish I had known before buying a ton of them. Guess I better do some shopping and figure out where else to get good pellets from.
I have TSC, rona, home depot, and Lowes to choose from. Any suggestions on who or what to look for?....
That is EXACTLY why we always suggest to try 3-4 bags before you commit to a large quantity.

As for those places near you, just get on the phone, ask them what brands they have in stock, and what their per bag and per ton prices are....post them here and we can give you a pretty good idea what brands to TEST BURN, which ones are too much $$, etc.

I'm burning these in mine.

greeneteamplat.jpg
These I get from Lowes $5.38 per bag

maineschoice.jpg
These I get from Lowes $4.78 or so per bag

naturesheat.jpg
These I get from Walmart $5.00 per bag

Status
Not open for further replies.