Englander 25pdvc Igniter not Working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nickster

Feb 22, 2014
new Hampshire
Hi everyone. My igniter hasn't worked in quite some time so while lubing the auger bearings I thought I'd look into it. The igniter isn't getting power from the control board. I removed the igniter and powered it with 110 from outlet and it got red hot. I also did a board reset that I got from this site (f5 then set burn mode to D) and still no go, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. My igniter hasn't worked in quite some time so while lubing the auger bearings I thought I'd look into it. The igniter isn't getting power from the control board. I removed the igniter and powered it with 110 from outlet and it got red hot. I also did a board reset that I got from this site (f5 then set burn mode to D) and still no go, any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Is it getting hot when it is supposed to be starting the stove? You should be able to see the glow through the hole above the fire pot.
Sometimes if it is too close to the hole it will not pass enough air to ignite the pellets.

From my experience if the igniter is touching the plate it won't get hot enough to light the pellets. It's almost like the heat goes in to the surrounding metal and acts like a heat sink.

I shut the stove off, cold stove, loosened screw holding igniter in stove, set igniter in metal tray, turn on stove and the igniter is ice cold after 15 minutes it never got hot. The boards not putting out voltage to the igniter.

I shut the stove off, cold stove, loosened screw holding igniter in stove, set igniter in metal tray, turn on stove and the igniter is ice cold after 15 minutes it never got hot. The boards not putting out voltage to the igniter.
Unfortunately, it sounds like your control board is bad.

Yea I was afraid of that. On Englanders website they say if the igniter stops working the board may need a reset but it didn't help.
If you know somebody with circuit board skills, replacing the appropriate triac is probably all it needs.

Wish I did, a new boards over $200.00. I think I could do the actual soldering but I wouldn't know how to find which part is bad or where to get it.

you can try resetting the board here is how unplug then plug in press and release all 3 bottom buttons (quickly) should show F S factory setting this will also should put it back in the A mode from factory.Hope this helps

Ohh sorry see you tried that already,yep probably new board.

I gave up on the Englander ignitor long ago. Got tired of it taking 3 start up cycles to get it started. I've been using a blow torch the past 5 years. Just put a handful og pellets in the burn pot, light them with the torch,and the stove will cycle through a normal start up. Takes about 1 minute to get the pellets lit. Much less stressful. :)

We are planning on hooking up a 5 minute timer, to our daughters 25pdvc's ignitor circuit, come summer - for the same reason.

The label on the inside of the hopper gives details on how to do a manual start if the igniter has failed.

I have the same stove/same issue. Have ordered new triacs. I will post after I replace the triac with results. Can you check igniter with a meter? Mine was around 49 ohms. Hooked it to lower auger motor output on control board with igniter on concrete floor. Fired up stove and igniter glowed. All the AC outputs appear to use the same triac circuit. Hope this helps. I am in Western Maine and work in the Electronics field. I do know how to solder. If you have any questions, give me a shout. Just reread your original post. See that your post was from February. Probably all set?

Mike

Last edited:
Hi. I have found that sometimes when my igniter isn't working on my Englander pellet stove that by simply taking a pellet and sticking in the igniter hole then closing the door and pressing the start up lights everytime. Again this is after adjusting and cleaning your igniter hasn't helped. I hope this mite help some people out.