Englander 28-3500 How much wood do you load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Karmakid

Oct 26, 2017
Eastern, PA
I am fairly new to the Englander 28-3500. As in, been running it for a few days since the install! I have it piped into new two ducts (one in dining room and one in living room) just to heat the downstairs of my house.

I am fairly certain I have the dampers and cold start worked out. I've been running it with small loads and the heat output is impressive...I have 72 degrees (with a small load) blowing out the duct vents.

Gearing up for cold winter nights. How much is safe to load into this unit? I've read through the forums here where some folks said to load it to the baffle and some have stated that they only load a few splits. What are your thoughts on getting this though the night and slightly higher temps outputs?

Look forward to all your input! TIA!

Moving to the boiler room. Hopefully there are more owners of this furnace there that can answer.

There are many models that say in the manual to only load to the top of the firebrick...I would venture a guess that anybody that has owned a 28-3500 very long has loaded it up to the baffle on cold January nights with no problems...but maybe an actual owner will check in here soon...I've never had one.
As a rule of thumb it is almost impossible to get a decent burn from less than 3-4 splits in anything.
And with almost any wood stove or furnace the way you regulate the heat into the house is by how much wood is loaded. In October you may only need 3-4 splits, in January you may need to fill 'er up

I ran one for a few years, heating an 1800 sqft tri level. Search for my user name and 28-3500. Lots of good info in those posts. The pics were on Photobucket so the links are no longer any good.

With well seasoned oak, I routinely loaded my to the gills with no issues, just lots of incredible heat, enough that it felt like we were living in an oven, LOL.