Englander 30 or Country Hearth 2500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
So I'm up in the air about these 2 stoves. I know Englander has a great rep as a reliable, economical stove with a big fire box (3.5 cu.ft.) The Country Hearth 2500 (a.k.a. US Stove 2500) is a China made stove that I have heard nothing but good about with a 2.69 cu.ft. fire box. I have saw both stoves up close and they are pretty much the same with the englander being a little bit bigger and a few things between them that isn't really a deal breaker. So my dilemma is that the Englander is $900 versus the Country Hearth being $607. They are both rated for 2500 square feet but the burn time btu output vary by about 50k btu 231,525 for the Englander and 178,605 for the Country Hearth. I guess I'm asking if the Englander is worth the higher price? The house is going to be about 2300 sq.ft. all said and done. The Country Hearth stove at home depot where I'm looking at the Englander is $1136 where tractor supply had it for $675.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: coreboy83
Check to see if anybody has had a warranty claim on us stoves. Englander has a stand up reputation on this, and a presence on the board. No idea on us stoves reputation on this.

It's the end of the season, I'd see if the HD manager will sell you one for $100+ off. He did in my case.

Reactions: chance04
I can't comment on Country Hearth because I've never seen one in action, so my vote is Englander.

Just from the stand point of where each of the 2 stoves in question was manufactured I know what direction I would go.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Yeah that's my mindset too but it is tough dropping $300 more on a stove with basically the same features. Same thickness steel and the quality seems about the same when it comes to construction.
Made in VA would count for a lot with me too.
Yeah my thought too.
I can't comment on Country Hearth because I've never seen one in action, so my vote is Englander.
I have liked the englander a lot from the time i looked at it. The big firebox is what I'm really liking being i can set her and not worry about loading it in the middle of the night.

The firebox seems like my main reason for the Englander but my vogelzang defender had a 1.7 cu.ft. firebox and i can get 6 hour burns with big splits and nice enough coals to start another fire after 8. So the 2.7 is that much bigger and should get me 8 hours of burn and coals after 10 hours.

Home Depot often times puts a blow out price on the 30 coming up here pretty soon. You have to know which store # to use though...the last one was #1534 IIRC...that got me a 30 dropped in my driveway for $650 1 year ago.
Has anybody seen the HD deal yet this year?
vogelzang defender had a 1.7 cu.ft. firebox
Isn't it 1.2 CF?

Last edited:
So I'm up in the air about these 2 stoves. I know Englander has a great rep as a reliable, economical stove with a big fire box (3.5 cu.ft.) The Country Hearth 2500 (a.k.a. US Stove 2500) is a China made stove that I have heard nothing but good about with a 2.69 cu.ft. fire box. I have saw both stoves up close and they are pretty much the same with the englander being a little bit bigger and a few things between them that isn't really a deal breaker. So my dilemma is that the Englander is $900 versus the Country Hearth being $607. They are both rated for 2500 square feet but the burn time btu output vary by about 50k btu 231,525 for the Englander and 178,605 for the Country Hearth. I guess I'm asking if the Englander is worth the higher price? The house is going to be about 2300 sq.ft. all said and done. The Country Hearth stove at home depot where I'm looking at the Englander is $1136 where tractor supply had it for $675.

I just bought a 30 from Home Depot. Had a broken brick when it arrived, and called England Stove works yesterday and today. Each time they answered the phone fast, no hold time, spoke a language I understand and will be sending a new brick plus a can of paint for a very minor scratch I mentioned. To me, a stove this good that cost me $899 with added excellent tech support is worth every penny!

Forgot to mention the other reason we bought the 30. The 30's emission is 1.6G/Hr, I think the 2500 is 3.1G/Hr. During our stove search, it seemed that the stoves in our price range were cheaper if the emissions were higher. Here is a link to the EPA site with the information. https://www.epa.gov/compliance/list-epa-certified-wood-stoves

Honestly, I think this is a no brainer.

The englander is made in the USA, had a 1 CuFt larger firebox, and the warranty support is top notch. I am as cheap as they come and I would gladly plunk down an extra 300 Bennies for the stove. I maybe a bit biased since I own one

I think you will be glad you have the larger firebox with your winters up that way.

I ran a US 2500 for 2.5 seasons, my adivce... go Englander NC30!!!
The US stove was a decent heater but the stove literally fell apart on me over the course of 2 years. I knew something was up with my "cheap" stove when i did the 1st cleaning. I tried to remove the re-burn tubes to drop the single baffle board. Well the tube bolts (cheap chinese bolts) just snapped when i put my hand nut driver on it. I had to retap new bolt holes to remount. (did this twice) which wasnt fun during what was suppose to be a quick mid winter cleaning.
Second issue was cracks developing around all corners of the door, they were between 1/2" to 1" lond stress cracks, this is from using poor steel quality and poor engineering, i think there solution was to drill out the corners in the factory to create an arch to handle the stress of the door against there thin steel.
Third issue was there factory door gasket, durning my 2nd season with this stove, i learned on this site to do a dollar bill test to test the gasket when the door was shut, mine failed so i replaced it with an new one to there online specs, this gasket was to small, so i got another larger one and that was to big, so i took the old gasket to a stove shop and the owner was dumb founded, he said the gasket was a standard size, i bought the door in and he looked at the grove the gasket layed in and found the problem, the grove was to deep in spots, poor quality control from the factory.
I was fed up and got rid of the stove.
Back to the NC30, I have helped install 2 of them, my friend loves his, the quality and workmanship of the stove is great. Materials are more heavy duty. Look up the specs, compare the weights of both stoves and notice the englander is the heavy boy with noticibly thicker steel materials.
I cant say enough about the NC30's, I would by one in a heart beat if i was on a tight budget.

Bought my Englander from HD at the end of season blowout a couple years ago. 729 delivered to my door. If you don't need heat NOW, I would wait until they start clearing them out. I would try to sweet talk the dept. Manager here in the next couple weeks to try and get a good price and if you or a family member is a vet don't forget about the 10% discount!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Go with the Englander. Search the forums. You'll find droves of people bragging about their Englander 30's. Not so sure you'll find that with a U.S. Stove.

Also do a search about year end deals on NC-30's. There's lots of stories about people getting super deals on them.

Bought my Englander from HD at the end of season blowout a couple years ago. 729 delivered to my door. If you don't need heat NOW, I would wait until they start clearing them out. I would try to sweet talk the dept. Manager here in the next couple weeks to try and get a good price and if you or a family member is a vet don't forget about the 10% discount!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm going to wait it out and see what happens.
While shopping, keep in mind that the NC 30 is sold under several different names. The Timber Ridge 50-TNC30, the Summers Heat 50-SNC30, and of course the classic Englander 30-NC.
There is a list of dealers for each "brand" on the ESW site http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...ned.com//RK=0/RS=DKHdsIi7ImBv_qrXZ0vARadmfBE-
Good to know, I'll look around and see if they have the same one other places cheaper.
I ran a US 2500 for 2.5 seasons, my adivce... go Englander NC30!!!
The US stove was a decent heater but the stove literally fell apart on me over the course of 2 years. I knew something was up with my "cheap" stove when i did the 1st cleaning. I tried to remove the re-burn tubes to drop the single baffle board. Well the tube bolts (cheap chinese bolts) just snapped when i put my hand nut driver on it. I had to retap new bolt holes to remount. (did this twice) which wasnt fun during what was suppose to be a quick mid winter cleaning.
Second issue was cracks developing around all corners of the door, they were between 1/2" to 1" lond stress cracks, this is from using poor steel quality and poor engineering, i think there solution was to drill out the corners in the factory to create an arch to handle the stress of the door against there thin steel.
Third issue was there factory door gasket, durning my 2nd season with this stove, i learned on this site to do a dollar bill test to test the gasket when the door was shut, mine failed so i replaced it with an new one to there online specs, this gasket was to small, so i got another larger one and that was to big, so i took the old gasket to a stove shop and the owner was dumb founded, he said the gasket was a standard size, i bought the door in and he looked at the grove the gasket layed in and found the problem, the grove was to deep in spots, poor quality control from the factory.
I was fed up and got rid of the stove.
Back to the NC30, I have helped install 2 of them, my friend loves his, the quality and workmanship of the stove is great. Materials are more heavy duty. Look up the specs, compare the weights of both stoves and notice the englander is the heavy boy with noticibly thicker steel materials.
I cant say enough about the NC30's, I would by one in a heart beat if i was on a tight budget.
Ok you convinced me Englander it is!

Reactions: bcrtops
The 30NC can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Make sure you feed the beast with dry wood and it won't disappoint. Also get a thermometer so you can tell what's going on.

Decided to go englander but as a summers heat stove. Went with the SSW02 a little different version of the 30 with the smart damper control.

Reactions: begreen
Decided to go englander but as a summers heat stove. Went with the SSW02 a little different version of the 30 with the smart damper control.

A good choice, I think. Better clearances & just ember/spark protection

I find it ironic that the ENGLANDer is made in the US, but a stove named "US STOVE" is Chinese made.:confused:;lol

Reactions: brenndatomu
Last edited by a moderator: