Englander Evolution 25-EP Install w/Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look great so far!

Word of caution....keep the stove & surge protector un-plugged in the non-heating months.....save it from getting zapped for no reason and blowing a new surge protector too.

One other thing....is that a log set I see in the stove? Nice to look at in the summer months, but a BIG pain once burning & cleaning start.

imacman said:
Look great so far!

Word of caution....keep the stove & surge protector un-plugged in the non-heating months.....save it from getting zapped for no reason and blowing a new surge protector too.

One other thing....is that a log set I see in the stove? Nice to look at in the summer months, but a BIG pain once burning & cleaning start.

I had it plugged in while I was testing to make sure my thermostat was wired correctly. Thanks for the reminder though...

Why is the log a pain? I like the way it looks.

I finished running the pipe up too the roof tonight. I plan on cutting the roof Saturday AM if it's not raining... I really like this Selkirk DT, no silcone or screws, it goes together very nicely.

I like the way the logs look too. Tried mine for almost a season. Didn't know this Foum existed then. And I still took mine out. Affects the burn. But the biggest thing is Cleaning around it. Only use mine in the Summer also.

Attachments

• Done-till%20next%20year.jpg
    Done-till%20next%20year.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 953
I bought the log set for my stove. It sat in a bay window. After trying to clean around it, I gave up on it. I have come to see the burn pot as the natural view and the log set as not real. After all, I am not burning cord wood and can't recall why I wanted it to look like it was. One person posted some sort of cut out metal insert that looked like a forest silhouette. I thought that looked interesting.
I like the set up of your Englander stove. You sure gave the installation a lot of thought. The slate base and backing looks real glassy. Your stove is a good choice for that set up. I'm betting that when you start to heat your home with that new stove, you will be more impressed than what you had anticipated.

save$ said:
I bought the log set for my stove. It sat in a bay window. After trying to clean around it, I gave up on it. I have come to see the burn pot as the natural view and the log set as not real. After all, I am not burning cord wood and can't recall why I wanted it to look like it was. One person posted some sort of cut out metal insert that looked like a forest silhouette. I thought that looked interesting.
I like the set up of your Englander stove. You sure gave the installation a lot of thought. The slate base and backing looks real glassy. Your stove is a good choice for that set up. I'm betting that when you start to heat your home with that new stove, you will be more impressed than what you had anticipated.

Yea, I guess I can see that log being a pain after awhile. Plus after a few days burning i'm sure the glass will get pretty smoked up and the log will be hard to see anyhow.

I have kept my expectations low on how much I will be able to save. Honestly, I didn't buy this stove for the sole reason to save money. I miss having a fireplace/woodstove and the pellet stove offers great efficiency , controllable heat, and the installation (vent) makes life a lot easier. Plus, it feels good to work a little for some heat. Although it will be less work than a wood stove.

I did call last week and cancel my automatic propane delivery. I have a 500 gallon underground tank that they make sure stays full, which aggravates me but I understand why they do that. We use propane for the downstairs aux heat, range, clothes dryer, tankless water heater, and whole house backup generator. I have two high efficiency heat pumps, so their may be some savings on my elec bill too.

We shall see....

I'm done!

I got all the rest of the pipe in today and she is done except for the chase i need to build in the office. I fired her up and she puuuurrrrs quite nicely. I do smell a little smoke but I'm not sure if that is the new stove smell or I have a leak. I used a flashlight after dark to look for leaks and I don't see a thing.

EDIT: I looked again and found a small leak at the T. It was easily fixed with a bit of high temp silcone.

46c48bed.jpg

ea593c7b.jpg

cd7074a1.jpg

031cf639.jpg

16b512ed.jpg

This looks safe, right? :)

5f80fbe0.jpg

7d7ae16c.jpg

54b0dc9c.jpg

Stove, fire, & pipe install look great! LOVE that integrated exhaust/OAK set-up.

I forget if this question was asked, but what is the prevailing wind direction on your house.....what side gets hit the most?

youre gonna need to install a firestop for the ceiling and some sort of insulation shield in the attic... also, get one more length of the direct temp pipe over the flashing! no room between flashing and the top conversion, so your storm collar is riding up hard into the air intake on the vertical termination conversion......otherwise looks great! I like the direct temp pipe. Nice vac fitting on the tee, btw....

That ladder and tractor set-up is classic. Have you been driving by my house???? LOL.. Here in Ohio, OSHA would $hit. But been there and done that myself. Do what you gotta do. The 12x12 pitch is a bear. I help Roof a 3 story house a few years ago...Not FUN at all.

Stove looks great. The burn looks good too.
2 Questions...
1- What is the little "T" nob under the front glass? What purpose does it have?
2- Does the 25-EP have a Damper on the intake? Or is Wide open. I am pretty sure Englanders are all Wide Open and are adjusted through your bottom settings. LBA, LBf, and AOT.Just wondering if it maybe had one.

Fine looking stove.... Your gonna love the Winter's again.

imacman said:
Stove, fire, & pipe install look great! LOVE that integrated exhaust/OAK set-up.

I forget if this question was asked, but what is the prevailing wind direction on your house.....what side gets hit the most?

Thanks.. The wind in the winter generally blows out of the north west which is straight at the front of the house. Are you worried some smoke could get through the vented soffit above? I questioned that too. I however followed the manufacture guidelines. It is 4' from the dormer wall.

summit said:
youre gonna need to install a firestop for the ceiling and some sort of insulation shield in the attic... also, get one more length of the direct temp pipe over the flashing! no room between flashing and the top conversion, so your storm collar is riding up hard into the air intake on the vertical termination conversion......otherwise looks great! I like the direct temp pipe. Nice vac fitting on the tee, btw....

Thanks....

Does this looks like the firestop needed? This is what came with my kit and what I installed. I didn't put the trim plate on it though since I am building a chase around it. I figured the trim plate was just for looks.

3rv-fs.jpg
4dt-tpblack.jpg

I was worried about that storm collar blocking the intake as well but it is down about 1/2" so I think it should be okay. Do you think it should be lower? if so, how much?

94bf8f53.jpg

a8b2ea9b.jpg

DexterDay said:
That ladder and tractor set-up is classic. Have you been driving by my house???? LOL.. Here in Ohio, OSHA would $hit. But been there and done that myself. Do what you gotta do. The 12x12 pitch is a bear. I help Roof a 3 story house a few years ago...Not FUN at all.

Stove looks great. The burn looks good too.
2 Questions...
1- What is the little "T" nob under the front glass? What purpose does it have?
2- Does the 25-EP have a Damper on the intake? Or is Wide open. I am pretty sure Englanders are all Wide Open and are adjusted through your bottom settings. LBA, LBf, and AOT.Just wondering if it maybe had one.

Fine looking stove.... Your gonna love the Winter's again.

Yea, my dad wasn't too excited about my rigged latter when he showed up to help. lol.. I wasn't expecting him to get on the latter anyhow.

That T is the knob to take the ash pan out. basically like a screw to tighten down the seal.

no damper just the bottom three adjustment controls.

mepellet said:
GrahamInVa- In the third pic from your Aug. 6th post, what is the device that looks like two wires are coming from it going to the venting?

That is the module for my honeywell wireless thermostat. I was dreading running the wires and found this wireless deal. Pretty neat.

Honeywell focus pro 6000

Status
Not open for further replies.