Englander Model 28-3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
alfio said:
BeGreen said:
Ibjamn, welcome. Is there any possibility of installing a stove on your first floor? A basement stove installation is unlikely to heat the whole house. Woodstoves are designed primarily to be space (room) heaters.

Hi, begreen i would like to put my two cents worth . I have to disagree with you on that . I heat my single family 28x52 ranch from the basement , with a coal , or pellet stove . or wood stove. It takes a little longer but it can be done. Here is what I did, the stoves are in the basement, i placed a floor grate right above the coal and wood stoves, then i placed two 4x12 registers in the other end of the house, and ran two 6 in. flex ducts to the room were the stove are, and I get natural convection . It works pretty well , when i want to move more heat up i open the cellar door .NO fans just natural convection.

p.s. the other end of the house is 3 to 5 degrees cooler , depending on what the outside temp. is .thats were the bedroom are, and i like it it cooler anyway

Yes, it can be done, and sometimes successfully. Note that I said "unlikely", especially in Ibjamm's case. Many basement stove installs disappoint because of house layout, lack of unostructed airflow, uninsulated basement, stove location, etc.. Ibjamm's house is a 2 story home on top of the basement, very different from a ranch. When it gets cold is the first floor Quad 3100i also running?

PS: Are there fire dampers to the registers over the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.