Englander NC 30 for $649.00!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont put anything in front of the dog house,keeping that area open,and i stack all the way up to the tubes,but dont bang up the tubes with wood. Also the fibre board is fragile ,so stay clear of that.

Well, it was 60 all day in KC yesterday, so I started the NC30 for the first time to start the seasoning process. Thanks for telling me about what to expect guys. The new finish burn-off smoked up the whole house. And the smell. Woo wee! LOL! But it is done! Wasn't too bad, as we were gone most of the night. Once we got back, the house was clear and stink-free.

Question, Do I need to move my temp gauge off of the flue and onto the actual stove? See pic. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4423.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 272
Question, Do I need to move my temp gauge off of the flue and onto the actual stove? See pic. Thoughts?

You need two meters, one on the stove top right in the middle just above the step near the flue collar and then that second one up on the flue.

The flue one to know when you are overheating the stovepipe (it has a rating that is easy to pass) and the stove meter to keep the stove at 700.

So I just got my Englander last week! $688 after shipping and taxes. Took the advice off of this thread It was $649. I told them I had a Ace hardware coupon for %15 and free shipping. They wouldnt honor the shipping but they took the %15 off. Thank You for the advice.

Reactions: Huntindog1
You need two meters, one on the stove top right in the middle just above the step near the flue collar and then that second one up on the flue.

The flue one to know when you are overheating the stovepipe (it has a rating that is easy to pass) and the stove meter to keep the stove at 700.

Of course you don't "need" any meters but if you want to measure such things then both locations provide vital, different, information.

No to change the subject but do you guys know if the base/legs can be removed from this model stove so that all you have is the stove box by it's self?

Can't do it. The primary air inlet box and the ash pan mount extend below the firebox farther down than the edges of the firebox.

Can't do it. The primary air inlet box and the ash pan mount extend below the firebox farther down than the edges of the firebox.
Thanks, I'm going to update to a larger stove but still want it to fit inside my small fireplace opening I was hoping to remove the base and set the stove on bricks

If u were gonna set on bricks just cut the legs down with a grinder and set in the fireplace.

If u were gonna set on bricks just cut the legs down with a grinder and set in the fireplace.
Exactly what I was thinking however with the size of my fire place (small) I would have to come out of the stove with a 90 elbow immediately......is this a problem with this stove?

Looking to do this
englander.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A 90 straight out of the stove is usually not a good idea. If the fireplace is that small and you need a 3 cu ft stove then perhaps extend the hearth and tap into the chimney above the damper.

A 90 straight out of the stove is usually not a good idea. If the fireplace is that small and you need a 3 cu ft stove then perhaps extend the hearth and tap into the chimney above the damper.
Thanks for your help!! Depending on the stove dimensions with the base removed I may be able to squeak it into the fireplace opening. I will have to see an actual stove in person and do some measuring to really know if it's possible. It's my understanding that the blower sticks out quite a bit too

Takes awhile that way. You got to steadily increase the stove temp a small amount over a period of time,. A whole house fan helps a lot, and be prepared for your smoke alarms to go off.

Why does one have to do it that way and what happens if you don't? Just got my first stove yesterday. Ran it hot for a while and it really stank up the house. Then ran it cool for a while, then hot again. Now it's spending the day on a low setting while I'm at work, windows open.

Why does one have to do it that way and what happens if you don't? Just got my first stove yesterday. Ran it hot for a while and it really stank up the house. Then ran it cool for a while, then hot again. Now it's spending the day on a low setting while I'm at work, windows open.

It's a big hunk of metal that is meant to be exposed to extreme heat for months on end, year after year, break it in however you want, just keep the temp readings comma free and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Wildo
The slow breakin is to control the amount of smoke and smell ,not anything to do with performance or some kind of breakin period for the steel.If you didnt already burn off the oils in the driveway you can do it after its installed.,slowly as not to smoke you out of the house.

The slow breakin is to control the amount of smoke and smell ,not anything to do with performance or some kind of breakin period for the steel.If you didnt already burn off the oils in the driveway you can do it after its installed.,slowly as not to smoke you out of the house.

Thanks. I think we're close to broken in now. Have been running it all day and night with a fan directing air out an open window.

Same. It appears to be over now though. Now I get to build a hearth and chimney.
The owner(?) of Englander was going to write a book on how to care for and feed these things. Did that ever happen?

This forum is better than any book or instruction manual. Real world users, using this particular stove are abundant here and share a wealth of experiences with this and other englander models.

Like my sig line says: "Lots of people make'em. Lots of people sell'em. Hearth.com shows you how to use'em."

Same. It appears to be over now though. Now I get to build a hearth and chimney.

The owner(?) of Englander was going to write a book on how to care for and feed these things. Did that ever happen?

im not the owner;), and im still working on it. its way more involved than I thought it would be. up to 137 pages without illustrations and am still about a third from being done. we're getting there.

the book is more a "start to finish" beginning with what to think about when deciding on if a woodstove is plausible, through the decision process buying , installation (including doing a flue) , wood gathering and storage, operation and maintenance.

im trying guys, seems its a lot more daunting task than I expected but we'll get there

I'll set up a book signing at our local library.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Where do you live to be burning this time of year?

I bet most won't buy or read it. I cringe to think of how many stoves a stove store sells each year and wonder how many get used with green wood and how many with questionable 30-35% wood thats maybe a year old. And then how many have truly 20% or less seasoned wood?

Reactions: billb3
Status
Not open for further replies.