Englander pdv-25 steel wool mod.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
just got the 25pdvc a week ago and wanted to see if someone can verify i have plugged the correct holes......when removing the plate in the burn pot there are two holes on the rear section that are about 3/8' and sit next to each other. there are also two holes on either side of the burn pot in the lower section. these two holes face each other and are about 5/8-3/4 in diamater..i plugged the two larger holes that face each other. its been about 24 hours since doing this and i notice zero change in ash build up or heat. just wanted to check and make sure im not missing anthing here. thanks

You are correct . The lower 2 holes are the ones. But there is more to it than that. How are you vented? What are your numbers set at? Do you have a good seal on the door , glass , hopper lid?

just got the 25pdvc a week ago and wanted to see if someone can verify i have plugged the correct holes......when removing the plate in the burn pot there are two holes on the rear section that are about 3/8' and sit next to each other. there are also two holes on either side of the burn pot in the lower section. these two holes face each other and are about 5/8-3/4 in diamater..i plugged the two larger holes that face each other. its been about 24 hours since doing this and i notice zero change in ash build up or heat. just wanted to check and make sure im not missing anthing here. thanks

i did the flame test with a grill lighter and notice on the bottom corner on each side of my door there is air being pulled in. this stove is brand new so im not happy about that rope gasket letting anything in. also my vent set up is high for EVL. this was dictated by the location and need to pass inspection because of vent clearances. i was going to remove the outside section today and place just a horizontal cap to see if there is any increase in effciency but it was just too cold to mess around with anything today.

when it comes to plugging holes on the burn plate itself or drilling a slightly better diameter what is the consensus there? which holes are worth modifying?

i did the flame test with a grill lighter and notice on the bottom corner on each side of my door there is air being pulled in. this stove is brand new so im not happy about that rope gasket letting anything in. also my vent set up is high for EVL. this was dictated by the location and need to pass inspection because of vent clearances. i was going to remove the outside section today and place just a horizontal cap to see if there is any increase in effciency but it was just too cold to mess around with anything today.

when it comes to plugging holes on the burn plate itself or drilling a slightly better diameter what is the consensus there? which holes are worth modifying?
I had the same issues with the vent and Inspections . To pass my inspection my Evl went through the roof . After the inspection I lowered my evl by rerouting my vent but still keeping it safe. Made a difference. As far as the burn plate I inlarged the center group of holes . But not by much. This also helped

After blocking the two bottom holes with round magnets, I also closed off some of the wear plate holes to improve burn efficiency on my 25- pdv. If you look at the burn center on the wear plate, you'll see that you will get a circle of burning pellets in front of the auger tube, with ash all around it. I blocked off all of the wear plate holes around this circle with stove cement, to force more air up through the wear plate. You can use high temp foil tape underneath, to block the holes temporarily first. If you like the results, you can use the stove cement.

Reactions: MFair
I blocked only the holes where the ash gathers around the burning circle. You leave the circle open in front of the auger tube. This forces more air up through the pellets. If you're going to use the high temp metal tape, you would apply the tape underneath the wear plate. It will fall off after a few days though.

Last edited:
20181113_173801.jpg