Englander pellet grill, have a short, testing help please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
Englander pellet grill, have a short, testing help please.

Folks, I have had the englander pellet grill for a few years now and for no apparent reason it started tripping the GFCI every so often. Weird. I plugged it into a nonGFCI outlet and everything worked fine for several cooks. Then I popped the 6 amp fuse on the control board. Uh oh, this isn't good. I checked all wires for pinching or chafing, removed all pellets from the auger tube and verified that everything is free to move. Replaced the 6 amp fuse. Put a small amount of pellets in the burn pot and test fired the stove. Popped the GFCI, so I moved to the nonGFCI plug, stove finished igniting itself and ran as normal before shutting off. 6 amp fuse popped again.

At this point I think I need to test the motors. There's not much to this pellet burner. Ignitor, combustion fan, auger motor. Short wires that are all visible.

Please offer any advice, Thanks!

Well, in case a future reader looks at this, it appears to be a bad igniter shorting to ground. A really bad short as it heats up but bad enough short when cold to trip the GFCI. A new igniter is on the way. It's cheap. Same igniter as most englander stoves.

Reactions: heat seeker
Yup, new igniter was super easy to pop in and no ground faults or popped fuses anymore. Works like new. 15$ igniter may not last 2-3 years like the original or maybe it will.

I added a 3 amp fuse to the igniter circuit so in the future I will know when the igniter fails and the fuse will also prevent big draws through the circuit board.

Attachments

• F12A9E32-E9B1-4DC8-9E7A-75FB02926863.jpeg
    F12A9E32-E9B1-4DC8-9E7A-75FB02926863.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko