Englander Pellet stove shuts off about 10 seconds after start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nikovevo

Dec 28, 2017
Connecticut
I just got an Englander Pellet stove given to me from my grandparents. They got it and only used it for about 1 winter because of the construction of their house made it so hot in only one room and it got unbearably hot and the rest of the house was cold.

Anyways I’ve only been using it for about 1 month now for only about 6 hours a day. I clean out the fire box about once every other day to clean the ash out.

About a week ago I went downstairs to check on it and it said e1. I shut it off and started it up again and about 10 seconds after start up it e2 and then e1 and shut off. I checked pretty much everything I found on forums.

I sniped the ends of the vacuum hose and reapplied.
I cleaned out the room blower. I cleaned out the exhaust/combustion blower.
I decided to take the plugs for exhaust blower and plugged it into the room blower and the room blower works.
The exhaust fan doesn’t come on at all. Should it turn on as soon as I turn on the stove? I forgot it or did when it was running properly.

I just ordered the exhaust fan from home depot for about 150.

Hope that it work. Does anyone have any other input of things that it could be that I could try up until the new fan come in?

If the fan doesn't come on when you hit start its probably the motor, especially if you hooked up another motor on the circuit. does the motor spin freely? did you try the combustion fan with a test wire in a wall socket?

I just got an Englander Pellet stove given to me from my grandparents. They got it and only used it for about 1 winter because of the construction of their house made it so hot in only one room and it got unbearably hot and the rest of the house was cold.

Anyways I’ve only been using it for about 1 month now for only about 6 hours a day. I clean out the fire box about once every other day to clean the ash out.

About a week ago I went downstairs to check on it and it said e1. I shut it off and started it up again and about 10 seconds after start up it e2 and then e1 and shut off. I checked pretty much everything I found on forums.

I sniped the ends of the vacuum hose and reapplied.
I cleaned out the room blower. I cleaned out the exhaust/combustion blower.
I decided to take the plugs for exhaust blower and plugged it into the room blower and the room blower works.
The exhaust fan doesn’t come on at all. Should it turn on as soon as I turn on the stove? I forgot it or did when it was running properly.

I just ordered the exhaust fan from home depot for about 150.

Hope that it work. Does anyone have any other input of things that it could be that I could try up until the new fan come in?
Exhaust fan should turn on as soon as unit is turned on. Blower fan only comes on after several minutes of burn time ( certain stove temp)

If the fan doesn't come on when you hit start its probably the motor, especially if you hooked up another motor on the circuit. does the motor spin freely? did you try the combustion fan with a test wire in a wall socket?

The fan definitely is loose enough to spin freely and I’m not that handy to try that in wall method. Not sure what I need to do to try that. I assumed it was the motor that’s why I sucked up and spent the 150$ on it. Doesn’t come in until Jan 8 and of course this week and next is the coldest so far by far....

full.jpg
Plug the exhaust motor in to 120v for testing before you replace it.

Take an old power cord and add the spade connectors to the end, connect the motor to the cord then plug it in to the wall.
If the motor runs, your problem is somewhere else. If the motor does not run, she is the problem.

Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: ridgeracing
View attachment 219082 Plug the exhaust motor in to 120v for testing before you replace it.

Take an old power cord and add the spade connectors to the end, connect the motor to the cord then plug it in to the wall.
If the motor runs, your problem is somewhere else. If the motor does not run, she is the problem.

Bill

Awesome thanks a lot. Does it matter which spade I plug into which plug coming from the fan itself?

Nope

View attachment 219082 Plug the exhaust motor in to 120v for testing before you replace it.

Bill
I just tried this and the fan works...I tried the by pass on the exhaust pressure switch and it actually went into start up mode but the exhaust fan still didn’t come on? What else could be wrong?

What model is the stove pdv, pdvc, or another?

Ok cool its a PDV. Just above the combustion blower, mounted on the wall is a vacuum switch make sure the vacuum line is connected to the grey/white nipple. If is then we need to jump the 2 wires on the switch. Unplug the stove. Remove both wires (remeber witch spades you remove them from) then take a paper clip and insert into both connectors. Plug stove in ans see if combustion blower comes on when you hit start

Yep sounds like that is you culprit!

Yep sounds like that is you culprit!
Thanks so much man I’m so grateful. I’ve been tinckering for so many days now. You made my entire week. Happy new year to you.

And thanks to everyone else who helped me along the way too. This forum is a great resource.

Nik

It might not be the switch, just might not be seeing enough vacuum.

Doubtful. The usual - blocked passage(s) in stove, slow combustion fan, block venting, leak in vacuum hose, etc. Clogged nipples for vac hose. The switches rarely go bad, but they do.

What could cause that? I don’t have the cold air intake coming into the house. I just have it pulling air from inside. Could that cause it?

Did you clean out the inside of the stove behind the impingement plate and the chamber the combustion motor impeller is in? and you did order a new combustion blower correct? vac switch works on the upper auger i would assume the same vacuum would be at the motor. but i could be wrong!