Englanders Madison/Summers Heat, 50-SHSSW01

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CenterTree

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2008
SouthWest-Central PA
:confused:Can't seem to find too many threads or real reviews on this model.

I like that Englander finally came out with a unit that fill the void between their nc13 and nc30.:cool:

What's even more appealing (to me) is the fact that the Madison requires ember/spark hearth protection only. Sweet!

Any one here have this edition from Englander?
I am curious about that AAS (auto-air setback).

While I appreciate a stove with LEGS over a pedestal, I am willing to make this exception as we are in need of a basic, easy to use stove at a hunting camp.

Hoping to get lots more info on this stove here.:)

Last edited:

I like that Englander finally came out with a unit that fill the void between their nc13 and nc30.:cool:

What's even more appealing (to me) is the fact that the Madison requires ember/spark hearth protection only. Sweet!

While I appreciate a stove with LEGS over a pedestal, I am willing to make this exception as we are in need of a basic, easy to use stove at a hunting camp.

We just hooked ours up this evening, and I'm in the process of doing the break in fires they say to do in the manual.

So far, the stove has been more than what we expected. It's also on sale at Lowes for $600 so if you're waffling on buying, maybe that will help.

Observations so far from a complete wood stove newb:

I've seen gripes about how hard this thing is to get going, all I have to say is it has to be user related, as my ignorant self actually had to throttle back on the second break in burn because I almost got things TOO hot. Granted I haven't sourced a supply of wood yet, so I'm using bundles of kiln dried from the local Hannaford's, so that could help things.

The stove is gorgeous. Seriously, that huge glass window just makes things in the family room now.

It throws some serious heat. Even with me having to cap the burn at 400 degrees, it's outpacing the kerosene heater we wee stuck using all winter. I can see the family room being a steady 80 degrees or more all winter. This is without the blower, to - I never hooked mine up to gain that space behind the stove and allow more room in front on the hearth.

Tomorrow should prove the real test, we're hitting a high of about 15 at best as winter does its usual reluctant retreat here in Maine. By then I should be done my third break in so will be able to really see how she flies.

So far I have zero regrets.

Reactions: CenterTree
I have the Madison, purchased at Lowes with all necessary accessories, total cost $1400 and some change installed.
Since this is my first stove I purchased mainly because of cost to see if a wood stove was for me, also undersized for my house, but once again, cost to see if wood burning was for me.

So far I have been extremely impressed with this stove, I also like the more utilitarian look. Ash pan in pedestal, I used it once then just decided scooping is easier. AAS, used it a couple times, normally just shut the air down manually since I am around the stove anyway. Nice feature, just not something I use.

Ember protection only, this was a selling point, It sits on ceramic tile that is on 1/4" cement backer board. For added ember protection (just in case since I have carpet), I have a fire resistant wool rug that goes in front of the stove. (This now also doubles as the cats sleeping area).

Clearances, another selling point, with the double wall telescopic stove pipe, and rear and side heat shields, this stove sits 4.5" from a sheetrock wall, with stove top at 550-600, the rear wall might get to 90, the base of the stove in the rear actually remains cold as this is where the OAK connection is. The Install Manual has clearances listed for Double Wall Chimney Connector to Unprotected Surface with side shields listed as N/A for all clearances, I actually called the manufacturer to clarify why there were no specified clearances for this.

As for heating, this is where I was impressed, as I said, I knew this was undersized for my house, but since my first burn on Dec 3rd, I have not had my primary heat on in my house. This has managed to heat 90% of my 2500sqft house quite comfortably and has been the only heat source I have used since installed. I normally let it cruise around 450 on cold days, bitter cold I have to load it up and burn around 550 - 600.

Last edited:
Reactions: CenterTree
Thanks to both replies so far. This is the kind of info I am looking for.:)

Tomorrow should prove the real test, we're hitting a high of about 15 at best as winter does its usual reluctant retreat here in Maine. By then I should be done my third break in so will be able to really see how she flies.

So far I have zero regrets.
Keep me posted please.
What size area are you trying to heat? (sq. ft.)

There's quite a few threads about it but search "Madison" since most of us knew about its codename back when England's stove works announced it :)