Enlighten me, wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
This is in my sisters backyard, the seeds look similar to Silver Maple but nothing else says that. The wood is very dense also.
@CincyBurner

85F404B5-090D-4051-8CF3-8B474773350E.jpeg9D086292-794A-4DA6-8226-87B47F511B79.jpeg4D61C9C8-9212-4A0B-A97E-EC9541288A1C.jpeg

Both the trunk and leaves say "sugar maple". The wood is definitely much harder/heavier than silver maple. Good firewood.

Excellent photos for ID, by the way.

Norway maple has a similar leaf, but a different bark.

Hard Maple for sure

Reactions: JimBear
I'm going with sugar maple (Acer saccharum), or black maple (Acer nigrum) if your a splitter.
Bark: Norway maple has very tight, even textured pattern. Sugar maple is more platey.
Seeds: Norway is more spread out, and more flattened; sugar is more fattened, smaller and more turned downward
Leaf: Norway has longer petiole and deeper sinuses with more even and pointy lobes, but big give-away is that Norway petiole will exude a white, milky sap when plucked off from twig.

Black maple with its cupped, more rounded, thicker and tougher leaf is more durable in the Midwest heat, and and is more prevalent in midwest. Sugar maple more consistent lobed leaf with deeper u-shaped sinus (Think 'U' for sugar).
The leaves in pic 1 are more characteristic of black than sugar. A stipule, a tiny, leafy appendage attached at the base of the petiole if noted is a dead give-away for black maple.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I guess the limbs I took off will give me some nice BTU’s in a couple of years then, not a lot but it all adds up.
F5829210-039A-45A6-AD06-365EC4BA17B0.jpeg

That baby looks like it has some twist to it, gona be a tough one to split, expect lots of little shavings coming off of it.

That baby looks like it has some twist to it, gona be a tough one to split, expect lots of little shavings coming off of it.
Yes it has some serious twist to it. I just have the limb wood from it, she is selling the house so I took some limbs off to tidy things up.

Barnes and Wagner make this note on Acer nigrum (black maple) in Michigan Trees (1981):

"...There is a continuum of forms intergrading with sugar maple, from which many botanists do not consider black maple distinct. Hybridization with sugar maple is likely. Reported to produce more and a better grade of maple syrup than sugar maple...."

Yeah I don't really think that's a sugar maple. The leaves are not pronounced enough and have 3 big nodes vs 5. Good wood regardless!

I live in maple country and you learn to see the differences. Here's a little pic to see some of them:

Screenshot_20210522-145651_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I don't really think that's a sugar maple. The leaves are not pronounced enough and have 3 big nodes vs 5. Good wood regardless!

I live in maple country and you learn to see the differences. Here's a little pic to see some of them:

View attachment 278949
Bark look like sugar, what do you think it is?

View attachment 278949
Definitely not red maple.