Envi-Blocks instead of BioBricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
This is an update to my earlier thread on BioBricks:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9889/P0/

My husband and his mother have been generally pleased with the BioBricks. The heat is not as intense as cordwood, but it does seem to burn longer. And there is less ash. There are some other advantages that I won’t re-hash here.

Unfortunately, our local BioBricks supplier --Ken of South Shore Wood Pellets in Holbrook, MA-- has run out and he can't get any more. However, he is committed to buying 3 truckloads of "Envi-Blocks" from the manufacturer that bought its equipment from BioBricks. If I understand correctly Tom Engells of BioBricks oversaw the installation of the equipment and did the training for Envi-Blocks. The manufacturer of the "Envi-Blocks" is “Barefoot Pellets”. Ken believes they've been making pellets for 10 years.

The first truckload came in yesterday morning and it’s already sold out. Given how quickly the BioBricks sold out he doesn't know if he'll be able to sell "single" packs or how much they would cost ... since he doesn't know how many there are per pallet.

Because Envi-Blocks is further away (Pennsylvania instead of Connecticut) he will have to charge $10.00 more per pallet than he did for the BioBricks ($255.00 rather than $245.00). The pallets are the same size.

I couldn't find a link for the manufacturer but here is a link to South Shore Wood Pellets.

http://www.southshorewoodpellets.com/envi-blocks

620 South Street
Distribution Facility
Holbrook, MA 02343
1-617-590-1788

I'm optimistic they will burn comparably to the BioBricks.

Ken also mentioned that BioBricks may be building two more plants. One may be located in Maine which should reduce the shipping costs; therefore the price should be lower. Who knows when that might happen.

When he received the first truck load Ken learned that although the pallets are shrink wrapped that there are no smaller packages or sample sizes. The individual Envi-Blocks are loose once the shrink wrap is taken off of the pallet.

I'm guessing they were in a rush to fill the void in the market. They should have better packaging at some point but it could be awhile. It's something to take into consideration since it affects some of the convenience of the product in terms of unloading and stacking it.

He did sell me a small amount out of the one pallet that he opened but I suspect it will be difficult for him to sell smaller amounts in any real volume.

The delivery charges for 2 to 4 tons are as follows: up to 25 miles $36.00; 25+ $40.00. The rate probably drops for 5 tons or more.

The Envi-Blocks are significantly larger than the BioBricks: 4.5 x 4 x 10.5 versus 3.5 x 3.5 x 6. There are 300 per pallet.

Again, the cost per pallet is $255.00. I paid $1.00 per block for the Envi-Blocks I got yesterday.

We put one in my Dad's fireplace, which isn't much of a real life test but for what it's worth it did hold its shape for quite awhile.

I'll post back when we have a chance to do a test fire.

I'm guessing the other two truckloads load will go quickly despite the packaging. He got a couple of phone calls while I was there and he was careful to explain that only the pallets are shrink wrapped but one caller from Cape Cod was going to make the trip anyway.

At the risk of stating the obvious, South Shore Wood Pellets does in fact carry wood pellets. What may be noteworthy is that he currently carries 2 brands of premium pellets and he's working on a third.

Apparently he doesn't want to be too dependent upon one manufacturer if they run into production problems.

He did carry a corn product but no longer carries it due to quality issues.

Craig,
Let me know if I should cross post this in the pellet forum.

Cath,

copy & paste it into the pellet room. Good info on where to get pellets is always usefull.

Even better, post it in the Fuel Price guide (at least the pellet prices and there is also a Biomass log submittal)....

thanks for the helpful post. I really like the idea of biomass logs (in general), because there are so many more stoves out there (hand fired), than Pellet Stoves, so the potential market is probably quite high. Still, it takes a big investment and a lot of work to make them, and it is very seasonal.

Webmaster said:
Even better, post it in the Fuel Price guide (at least the pellet prices and there is also a Biomass log submittal)....

thanks for the helpful post. I really like the idea of biomass logs (in general), because there are so many more stoves out there (hand fired), than Pellet Stoves, so the potential market is probably quite high. Still, it takes a big investment and a lot of work to make them, and it is very seasonal.

have you seen the hearthwise logs??
evry time i go to leominster i pick up some and they are awesome they burn longer than wood
http://www.hearthwise.com/page/page/4064628.htm

Cath said:
iceman said:
have you seen the hearthwise logs??
evry time i go to leominster i pick up some and they are awesome they burn longer than wood
http://www.hearthwise.com/page/page/4064628.htm

Iceman,
Unfortunately I'm never in the Leominster area. From their website, it doesn't look like they have any distributors in the Boston area.
~Cath

Cath i am sorry to hear that maybe a friend could stop by??
but i was really asking our webmaster if he has heard or tried them.....
i am hardly down there but if i get within distance i try to grab at least ten of them.. the good thing is as long as they sta y dry they are good so even if its summer i try to pick up a couple as they do not require alot of space

No response from either the US distributor or the Canadian manufacturer.

BeGreen said:
No response from either the US distributor or the Canadian manufacturer.

A pellet distributor i talked to yesterday told me they have the Bio-blocks and The envi? blocks. I was just wondering if there better then the bio.

John

No news, cuz I'm in the wrong thread. Doh! This was in reference to the SmartLogs.

BeGreen said:
No news, cuz I'm in the wrong thread. Doh! This was in reference to the SmartLogs.

It happens LOLOL

im very pleased with bio bricks i plan on buying a pallet next year, they rock....

im very pleased with bio bricks i plan on buying a pallet next year, they rock.... now im trying landman earth friendly logs got them at lows a little expensive but seem to burn good. stove safe....

argus66 said:
im very pleased with bio bricks i plan on buying a pallet next year, they rock.... now im trying landman earth friendly logs got them at lows a little expensive but seem to burn good. stove safe....

Thank you. John

argus66 said:
is this your product?

If this is directed at me-- No its not my product.I like to hear from the end user before i try something. thats why i will give my experiences to others.

argus66 said:
is this your product?

Argus,
A representative of this company is a member of this forum. I believe his member name is "BioPellet".
~Cath

Cath said:
argus66 said:
is this your product?

Argus,
A representative of this company is a member of this forum. I believe his member name is "BioPellet".
~Cath

I asked him or her a Question and never got a response? The envi bricks do look bigger. i'm just not sure they are better???This is a great alternative to wood.

johnnywarm said:
I asked him or her a Question and never got a response? The envi bricks do look bigger. i'm just not sure they are better???This is a great alternative to wood.

johnnywarm,
Did you actually PM him or did you simply post a question here hoping he would respond? Either way I wouldn't be surprised if he is to busy with production to participate here. I know they are having trouble meeting demand. If you really want to hear from him but haven't PM'ed him yet then I would try that.

My inexpert impression based on what I've read here is that BioBricks are better. But that Envi-Blocks aren't bad and are significantly better than the "Smart Logs" that someone mentioned recently.

I do know that BioBricks sold Barefoot Pellets (they make the Envi-Blocks) the equipment. In fact, the Hearthnet member "BioPellet" reportedly went out and trained them. Part of the agreement was that the size had to be different (not necessarily bigger but different). From memory, visually, it looks like the BioBricks either used smaller wood particles or they are slightly more tightly compressed. Which could help explain any minor difference in performance.

The larger size might make it harder to use in a small stove without overstuffing it.

For more info you might try the thread I linked in my first post in this thread.

~Cath

Cath said:
johnnywarm said:

johnnywarm,
Did you actually PM him or did you simply post a question here hoping he would respond? Either way I wouldn't be surprised if he is to busy with production to participate here. I know they are having trouble meeting demand. If you really want to hear from him but haven't PM'ed him yet then I would try that.

My inexpert impression based on what I've read here is that BioBricks are better. But that Envi-Blocks aren't bad and are significantly better than the "Smart Logs" that someone mentioned recently.

I do know that BioBricks sold Barefoot Pellets (they make the Envi-Blocks) the equipment. In fact, the Hearthnet member "BioPellet" reportedly went out and trained them. Part of the agreement was that the size had to be different (not necessarily bigger but different). From memory, visually, it looks like the BioBricks either used smaller wood particles or they are slightly more tightly compressed. Which could help explain any minor difference in performance.

The larger size might make it harder to use in a small stove without overstuffing it.

For more info you might try the thread I linked in my first post in this thread.

~Cath

Thanks cath. I did do it in a thread. I hear that the bio-bricks bend or U when they are heated up or are burning. Did you see this when you used them???

John

johnny,
Don't feel too slighted. I threw in a casual question in a thread he was participating in fairly recently and never got a response. Again, I assume he's a little pre-occupied with production.

I didn't scrutinize the BioBricks while they were burning but my husband reports a long slow burn when properly packed, which would seem to rule out the "accordion" effect you are asking about.

We still haven't run our stove with the Envi-Blocks yet but we did put one on a fire at my Dads over the holiday and I made a point of watching to see how well it held its shape. It outlasted the small to medium sized logs on the fire for quite a long period. From this I would have predicted performance as good as the BioBricks but at least one person on these boards has said that the BioBricks burned better.

~Cath

I have a ton of envi blocks in my basement (well 3/4 ton now)....i am very happy with them. I bought several packs of biobricks to test out the concept of manufactured firewood and was pleased with the results overall. I like the envi block form factor better than biobricks since its a lot more like adding logs to the fire....envi blocks are longer than biobricks and stack more like cordwood. I use a base of pallet wood with 3 blocks stacked on top and get 6-8 hours of burn time (I always have coals left in the morning....stove at 180-250). On cold nights I use 4 and open the stove up a bit more.

Obviously I would prefer burning the stack of free (green) wood under my porch but I will just have to wait till next year. I like both the biobricks and envi blocks and would have no problem buying another ton of either....if given the choice I do prefer envi blocks tho.

Chris

Cath said:
johnny,
Don't feel too slighted. I threw in a casual question in a thread he was participating in fairly recently and never got a response. Again, I assume he's a little pre-occupied with production.

~Cath

I understand about him being busy.I'm learning more from the end user lately so the delay is no problem.

This is a great way to burn and store wood.

John

chaynes68 said:
On cold nights I use 4 and open the stove up a bit more.

Chris

Chris thanks for the hands on report. Awsum. When you say"Open up the stove a bit more" are you talking about the door or the vent or "Flue"??

Do you know what the temp is at peak??? Hows storing it then wood HaHaHa.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.