Enviro Empress FS Convection Blower Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewb

Jan 25, 2011
Southeast Connecticut
well, I'm finally sucking up my pride and admitting that I have no idea what more to do. I own a Enviro Empress FS pellet stove. During the middle of last season the convection blower began making a terrible whining noise. I was able to get the installer to get the installer out and replace the blower under warranty. A little over a month later the noise came back. I called them back and they all but outright refused to replace the blower again stating "there is no way that it could happen again" and saying "it needs a break in period". Well, the noise never went away so I went ahead and bought a blower online on 1/2/11. Everything was well and good until today (1/24/11) when the blower began making the noise AGAIN!! I am at a total loss and have no idea what it could be. As I understand it the bearings are self-lubricating and cannot be accessed. I am reluctant to thing that another (#4) blower will solve the issue. Does anybody have an idea what could be the issue? Has anyone else experienced this? What do I do????

Thanks in Advance!!!

Sounds like a bearing issue, but it's amazing that the blower you bought did the same thing....is it the exact same as the original ones?

First thing I would be doing is getting on the phone with Enviro, and inform them of the problem, and also inform them about the dealer who refuses to fix an item that is still under warranty.

I would also be informing them of their need to re-imburse you for the blower you were forced into buying, due to the non-responsive dealer.

THEN, they need to figure out the problem w/ the stove, or refund your money, or replace the stove.

You wouldn't have any contact info for Enviro would you? I've tried [email protected].. 3 emails, no responses. I can't find a phone number anywhere.

I am going to see if I can get a replacement under warranty from the company I ordered the most recent blower from as it's been less than 30 days.

andrewb said:
well, I'm finally sucking up my pride and admitting that I have no idea what more to do. I own a Enviro Empress FS pellet stove. During the middle of last season the convection blower began making a terrible whining noise. I was able to get the installer to get the installer out and replace the blower under warranty. A little over a month later the noise came back. I called them back and they all but outright refused to replace the blower again stating "there is no way that it could happen again" and saying "it needs a break in period". Well, the noise never went away so I went ahead and bought a blower online on 1/2/11. Everything was well and good until today (1/24/11) when the blower began making the noise AGAIN!! I am at a total loss and have no idea what it could be. As I understand it the bearings are self-lubricating and cannot be accessed. I am reluctant to thing that another (#4) blower will solve the issue. Does anybody have an idea what could be the issue? Has anyone else experienced this? What do I do????

Thanks in Advance!!!

Wow! that's strange. I also have an Enviro Empress FS and mine made a terrible whine at start up the other night and it happened the other day when my wife was at home while I was out. I just figure perhaps a little something was stuck in the auger, or perhaps some pellets were lodged and causing the grind noise.

I will be interested to find out why this happened to your stove. If it happens to me again, I will call my dealer who is great and am sure will help me. I will let you know if I find out anything!

I'd have to say that my issue is definately not related to the auger. If I increase pellet feed/ blower, the nose gets louder. If I slow it down, it get's quieter (but still noticeable and annoying).

andrewb said:
You wouldn't have any contact info for Enviro would you? I've tried [email protected].. 3 emails, no responses. I can't find a phone number anywhere.

I am going to see if I can get a replacement under warranty from the company I ordered the most recent blower from as it's been less than 30 days.

Technical Help number, 888-285-2224

Main # (250) 652-6080 . Sherwood Industries Victoria, BC

Imacman, Thanks for the contact info. I called the tech help number and spoke to a very knowledgable man. He suggested I hook up an inline variable switch to the blower directly to see if the issue is coming from the main board of the blower itself. I did so and found that it was still just the blower making all kinds of noise. I will call him back tomorrow and see what steps should be taken next. I also tried my inline switch on the blower that this one replaced, and it also made a horrible racket.

Will keep you all posted.

andrewb said:
Thanks in Advance!!!

Can I get some more info from you on the stove? How long have you owned it and how hot do you run the stove?

The Empress body seems to hold the heat and the blowers are paying the price when there run for long periods on high settings. But 4 convection blowers is very high. I have found the putting a small fan to move air in the case has help cool the units. I am not sure why this happens, Or if its because its a cast stove and it retains more heat back there.

Don't pitch the old blowers as the bearings are replaceable. Where in CT are you(you can send me a PM with the answer if you want)?

I've had the stove since the 2008/9 Heating season, which makes this the 3rd year I've owned it. I run the stove on the second lowest setting (#2). I tend to agree with your statement in that it seems to become more noisy (albeit, it's always whining) the hotter it runs. One way or another, Something's not right! I still have 2 blowers - one is still in use, the other is out in the garage in a box.

On another note - as previously suggested, I hooked the blower directly up to a variable speed switch bypassing the circuit board and sure enough it was wining away. I guess this would suggest that the blower is in fact no good. Next steps?! Will call Sherwood back this AM and see what they have to say.

Sounds more like improper lube in the motor bearings. If the unit saw high heat settings for long periods, I might think it was heat related.

Fasco has had some issues in the past. Its possible they have it figured out now. I would see what Sherwood Ind./ Enviro has to say.

Hope you get it straightened out! :)

With the help of Sherwood Technical Support, my Local Enviro parts Distributor, resources on this site, and a lot of legwork - They are shipping me yet another convection blower. Hopefully 4th time is the charm!

Andrewb,

How did things work out for you. I seem to have a very similar problem, but I haven't replaced the blower yet. I sent you a PM, with more information.
Any help you can give about your solution, if in fact it was solved, would be appreciated.

Bad news. Blower # 4 didn't last too long. I woke up yesterday morning to the familiar whining sound of that stupid blower. I don't know what the deal is. Who ever heard of 4 convection blowers having bad bearings! Obviously there is an issue here. Is Enviro, or their supplier, using inferior parts? I run the stove on #1 or #2. It's not like I'm overworking it. I've contacted the local distributor who was able to help me in past. I'm waiting for a response. Does Anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed???????

The Empress is pretty compact and not lots of room back there. I'm thinking more heat related than anything else. I'd contact Enviro's costumer service and give them the scoop.

Breckwell had this very same issue and released a blower that had a cooling fan on the motor end to help keep the motor cooler. Seemed to fix the problem AFAIK.

Keep us posted.

Interesting post. I have the empress fpi. The convection blower on my stove has oil ports on the motor. I don't know if both the fpi and fs use the same blower though. My stove is an 08. I usually put a few drops in at the beginning of the burn season and again after 1- 1 1/2 tons when I vac out the rear flue of the stove. Double check the motor for oiling ports.

I bought the omega stove last fall, and at some point last season mine started doing the same thing. It comes and goes. I am going to look and see if it has the oil Ports. Mine does it only when it is on low after the thermostat has been satisfied.

I've been led to believe that the bearings are sealed and cannot be accessed to lubricate them. I'm not sure if the FS and FPI have the same blower. If it was as simple as lubricating I'd be satisfied but the runaround I have to endure every time this happens (like I said, this is the 4th blower I've been through) is exhausting . I haven't been able to get in contact with Enviro yet, but I am going to keep trying.

Usually the motor maker's plate has lubrication information on it.

The oil ports if any must also be facing up if at all possible, and it pays to have caps.

The heat inside a stove shell can be a major issue. All slots in the shell need to be kept free of buildup and anything that blocks or hinders free access to room air kept away from them.

You do not want any detergent in the oil.

andrewb said:
I've been led to believe that the bearings are sealed and cannot be accessed to lubricate them. I'm not sure if the FS and FPI have the same blower. If it was as simple as lubricating I'd be satisfied but the runaround I have to endure every time this happens (like I said, this is the 4th blower I've been through) is exhausting . I haven't been able to get in contact with Enviro yet, but I am going to keep trying.

The Empress Insert uses an EF-002 Convection blower and the FS uses a 50-1455 and they are completely different design. The Freestanding stove uses a Transflo style blower made by Jakel and you should be able to give it some shots of lubricant but without proper oiling ports I don't know how effective it will be. I am going to try putting a little fan blade I have that is used to cool some auger motors on a fan and see if it will fit on it and if it does maybe you could try something similar?

I've been on the FASCO website and seen other transflow blowers with that little fan on it. Thing is, I think it'd be too late. I believe the bearings are already shot. I've plugged an in-line variable switch into the blower while the stove is off, and cooled and as soon as I turn it on, it whines. I really don't think there is anywhere it can be lubricated. I've looked and see no oil ports.

I have had the same problem. The first blower started to whine on the new stove in a month. It was replaced by the shop and lasted about two months before starting to squeal and then whine. About to call the shop to replace it again, but it seems this is going to be only a short fix based on what you guys are writing.

Will a fresh air intake cool the rear area near the blower fan. I do not have fresh air installed.

Somewhat relieved to find others with the same problem as it helps in how to proceed. Every con't have this problem can it?

I'm not too happy with how it's been going for me. Since my dealer went out of business (and they were terrible to deal with anyways) I have tried contacting the regional distributor as I did for my last situation. Many emails and many phone calls - none returned. I talked to Enviro as well, they basically said to talk to the distributor and have them get back to Enviro. Well, it's kind of hard when they won't return my correspondence.

I took an old power supply fan from a PC and wired it to an ac/dc converter and attached it to the side of the stove to circulate air into the back of the stove. (I do not have a fresh air intake). I think it's helping but it's hard to tell. That fan is sort of noisy so it's hard to tell which fan is making the noise! Also, it's been rather warm here in CT so I haven't had the need to really crank up the stove.

I suggest trying to contact your shop again and see what they say. Let me know too as I'd like to hear what they say since I can't get any answers down this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.