Enviro Empress intermittent high-pitched vibration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi all! Glad to find that this forum exists. We bought a home about a year ago that had an Enviro Empress insert and have felt sort of mixed about it. It keeps our house super toasty, and saves on oil, but it loves to rattle and make all sorts of noises. I spend a lot of time futzing with it to get the sounds to stop, with mixed results, but we now have a fun little issue that is driving me crazy.

Basically, after the stove gets nice and hot, there's a high pitched sort of whirring/vibration that kind of comes and goes at regular intervals. It sort of fades in and out, and no amount of shifting the stove around, pressing on different parts, or messing with the door seems to stop it.

My gut tells me that it's a bearing issue in one of the fans. It's kind of a buzzing sound. It lasts about 15 seconds — kind of slowly fades in until it's loud, then fades back out. 15 or so seconds later, it comes back. You could set your watch to it.

It seems to be coming from the left side of the stove. It's definitely louder on that side, anyway.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that makes it go away is shutting the whole thing off. As you might imagine... that's no good. Particularly with a big storm on the way.

Left a voicemail for a stove service pro in MA to come out and service it, but given the upcoming holiday weekend, the incoming snow, and my sanity, I'm just curious if there's anything I might be able to do about this. Maybe pull the insert out and vacuum out one of the blowers? Tighten a bolt somewhere?

It doesn't help that I'm extra sensitive to this noise. I think I'd stop hearing it if it would be consistent, but the fading-in-and-out is driving me nuts. We last had the stove serviced at the end of the season in, say, April, so it shouldn't be *too* dirty. But at this point, who knows.

Thanks!

Sounds like its the combustion blower if its on the left side as you face the insert. Easy to take it off and clean the blades, I just replaced my exh blower, the old one was getting noisy, but this stove is 11 years old. I still like my empress...

while you have it out see if you can get some 3in1 oil on each end of the armature shaft im thinking your bearings are on the way out.

I’ve had two that did that and both times it was the convection blower. Let the stove get going and when it starts whistling unplug the con fan. If it’s still there it’s the combustion fan.