Enviro Kodiak 1700 Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scottydont

Nov 4, 2010
Ontario
So I have an enviro kodiak 1700 installed with 20' 5.5" ss liner and roxul block of plate. The stove works great; no complaints with operation or burning.

But there is one problem... if I turn down the air too much or too soon I get a significant smell coming from the fan air stream coming out the top of the stove. It is a sweet smell like a smouldering fire. This must mean that it is pulling some smoke from somewhere and blowing it into the house.

I've wrapped the liner and collar with roxul and resealed the gasket between the collar and stove with stove cement. So it can't be coming from the liner connection.

The only thing I can think of is that the fan air flow is sucking from the secondary air intake at the rear of the stove. Is this even possible... a reversal of flow from the secondary combustion port?

What do you think?

Wondering if this is paint still breaking in. Is the insert completely packed with roxul around it? As the stove air is turned down it is going to get hotter. Is this a new installation? What was used for stove cement?

No problem with the cement. Is there any place where silicone was used and possibly in contact with the flue liner?

Last edited:
Is the insert completely packed with roxul around it?

Is the insert completely packed with roxul around it?

No. The block off plate is roxul. The liner that extends below the block off plate is wrapped in roxul. The wrapping also covers the top part of the stove collar and thus seals the joint between the liner/adapter and adapter/collar.

No. The block off plate is roxul. The liner that extends below the block off plate is wrapped in roxul. The wrapping also covers the top part of the stove collar and thus seals the joint between the liner/adapter and adapter/collar.
Odd. Is there any chance something got sucked into the blower and onto the convection deck?

Odd. Is there any chance something got sucked into the blower and onto the convection deck?
Yep, strange. But if he's been dealing with the issue a long time, I'd think that anything that ended up on the convection deck would have burned off in relatively short order..

The only thing I can think of is that the fan air flow is sucking from the secondary air intake at the rear of the stove. Is this even possible... a reversal of flow from the secondary combustion port?
Not sure on the insert but I thought the secondary intake was down low on the bottom of the stove and the blower intake on the front (left?) side. Might be worth pulling the surround and checking the blower wiring, but that's a long shot.

Not sure on the insert but I thought the secondary intake was down low on the bottom of the stove and the blower intake on the front (left?) side. Might be worth pulling the surround and checking the blower wiring, but that's a long shot.

According to the manual diagram the secondary intake is on the bottom at the rear of the stove. But of course I have never actually seen it/them.

What could be wrong with the blower wiring?

What could be wrong with the blower wiring?
I don't know, but the motor intake is where air is pulled in. The guess is that maybe a wire is against the insert body? Like I said, it's a long shot and I see no correlation with closing down the air control.

I asked about the age because sometimes paint baking will give that smell.

Another left field question, do you have young children?

I would also do some detective work. Kids can put stuff in the darndest places. Maybe over the summer some candy or little toy was pushed into a location where it shouldn't be. We had a case many year back where a toy (soldier?) was pushed between the rear heatshield and the stove.

Speaking of children; the funny smells I have gotten on occasion (same stove as you) has turned out to be melted wax from a crayon. The wax itself isn’t always apparent because it is basically melted and the stove is a flat black, so it just looks like a possible stain on the stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very unusual- I've never ran into a Kodiak having a leak issue except if the stove flange collar under it got shifted. That happened to one customer and they could see flame under the convection shell at the liner connection. That would still be the area I'd think any smell could be from. The weird thing is its only on low burn..... could the door gasket be leaking slightly or the glass be loose, when airflow is cut down, air through the stove moves much slower. So, if you burn at a high burn rate, you never smell it? Does blower speed affect it as well? I'm stumped, if something was burning off or up, by now you would think it would have been done with.....

I don’t think it ever smells when fully open.

Fan speed doesn’t seem to make any difference.

I’ll check the door and glass gasket.

Door gasket is good with bill test.

I think I’ll pull the bricks and shine a flashlight around inside.. see if any light shows on the outside.

Good thought to do as well. I hope you find this- I know its frustrating.....