Enviro-Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wilson

Nov 19, 2005
Orient Point, NY
So there I was, walking through my not-so-local Home Despot, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a product that I think is like Bio-Bricks... but ain't.

So they are selling these things, they call them Enviro-Logs... and they say that they are safe for wood stoves. Now I'm sorry, but while I am still a fan of Dylan's cardboard ideas circa 2006, I am not going to put rolled up waxed cardboard logs into my stove. I thought they might be a substitute for Bio-Bricks, which, for some reason known only unto God himself, sell for somewhere in the 400 buck per ton range in my area... but no.

Anyone try these yet? Thoughts?

-- Mike

mike not impressed using compressed cardboard with color inks and having it unravel and leave messy ashes
and the smell like wax logs burning One made it in me cat stove ant the others I gave away They don't even look right burning

I have burned bio bricks nice fuel , but the cost is the killer. Might not be a bad idea to have a 40 lb bundle of them during horrible weather not
fit for man or beast, and not to going outside makes it worth it

The website says "no petroleum additives", yet they are made from recycled *waxed* cardboard.

They say the wax is FDA approved "food grade" - but not whether or not it is petroleum based.

I see them saying "safe for wood stoves" but I also see the warnings in cat stove manuals about colored inks and non-wood fuels potentially poisoning the cat. I don't see anything in their adds about cat stoves, nor any indication they've been tested with a cat stove.

My expectation would be that the wax might not be a big problem - I don't know of anything that the wax would put out in the way of combustible vapors that would be all that different from natural wood. BUT I COULD BE WRONG...

I would be somewhat more concerned about the colored inks - Do they use chemicals that might be bad for the cat?

The bottom line I guess would be to ask the stove makers if using these logs would void any warrantees? What about the makers of cats? If your cat dies prematurely, and you tell them you were burning enviro-logs, will they still cover it? (Will Enviro?)

Gooserider

HaHa look at the comparison from wood to Enviro logs.

Chimnea-firewood: "Yes :: can be smoky if wood is wet."

Mike Wilson said:
So there I was, walking through my not-so-local Home Despot, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a product that I think is like Bio-Bricks... but ain't.

So they are selling these things, they call them Enviro-Logs... and they say that they are safe for wood stoves. Now I'm sorry, but while I am still a fan of Dylan's cardboard ideas circa 2006, I am not going to put rolled up waxed cardboard logs into my stove. I thought they might be a substitute for Bio-Bricks, which, for some reason known only unto God himself, sell for somewhere in the 400 buck per ton range in my area... but no.

Anyone try these yet? Thoughts?

-- Mike

Mike, I sell wholesale for less than $200. Please help me to move my product out to LI. There is no reason to get gouged if we work together...

BioPellet said:
Mike, I sell wholesale for less than $200. Please help me to move my product out to LI. There is no reason to get gouged if we work together...

I have got to get you hooked up with more local dealers here... the one you have, Woodland Valley, is out of hand on price. Plus, they have no competition, which is probably half the problem. I posted (a rant) on another thread, ignore it. Its just that I get frustrated seeing a perfectly good product going to waste because someone wants to make a killing selling a few of them, rather than a killing selling a lot of them... it speaks to me of laziness. Time to break out the phone book and see who could sell these things... Agway?

-- Mike

I'm new to wood burning stoves - so this is my first year and my first post here.
Actually I'll post a question too here about over firing etc and what temps other folks are getting as well on their stoves,pipe etc.

I have a wood stove as purchased from homedepot last year for $600 w/50 coupon so 550
cost of piping near $2000 and that was shopping around finally acquired from ebay chimney store..great service fast shipping way better than mom & pop store (save 30% at least even with shipping)
the stove is billed as airtight and 10k-->29k btu's - manufactured by century hearth

I've gotten enviro-logs to supplement my wood burning pile left over from construction debris. Mixed southern yellow pine, white pine etc and 125yr old wood.
I find I use the enviro things and pile wood around it - I think it makes the fire start and last close to 3.5 hours or so.

I have magnetic temp gauges on my stove, on my duravent dvl (double wall) stove pipe and once through the 2nd floor and into the soffit I have one more temp thing on my chimney pipe.

temps are as follows...and are max for each that I have observed

on the stove - 550F

on the dvl at about half way between floor and ceiling - 250F

on the chimney pipe 2nd flr (about 15' above stove) - 150F

Any comments, suggestions etc welcome

and great site

I'm now looking to entertain the biobricks idea - I just dont like the idea of storing typical cords of wood

homedepot price I paid for enviro-logs (45lb) = 12.98
walmart - was 11.98 so better price point

bio bricks I think $280/ton from saugus,ma distributor but need to check on this

I also have a pellet stove for the basement - from englander stoves - I think its rated for 1500sq/ft
pellet stove no where near the heat output of my wood burning unit but the pellet stove is carefree (where loading is concerned) since set it on low setting and 40lb bag lasts 24 hours
pellets bought at lowes 1ton 50 bags 40lbs each $4.76/bag when purchased in bulk
pellets from lowes better quality than local walmart...less dust seems to end up with less ash - no doubt different vendors of pellets depending on locality
and walmart price is higer (wow...a first?)

sorry for my random post...hope to see responses to my temp reading observations
oh heck I gotta put a temp thingy on the pellet stove too now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.