Enviro Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have the boston 1200 insert by the way.
When you get a chance can you add your stove make and model to your avatar's signature line?

How do you load with the 1200? I assume it’s got a shallower fire box and you load EW. That could mean a whole different loading style for a startup. Also your burn times will be less than most of us who have 1700s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That doesn’t seem right. That should be hotter. A few questions.

- Is your wood dry (20% or below)?
- Are you doing full loads up to the top of the bricks?
- Do you see any secondary burn coming from the burn tubes?

Maybe try posting a quick video of the fire about 30 minutes in. At that point you should be cruising with good temps.

Still experimenting with this. Getting pretty good heat but I fear the lack of insulation and a block off plate is hampering the performance.
I have noticed I get HUGE heat with the door open. I know that's not an efficient method, but it can heat a room very quickly that way.
Wood is dry, well below 20%. And I do a generous load a little above the bricks when its cold, but not crowding the tube. And I see secondary burn at the tubes. I did mimic your prob trick with a BBQ meter. I was getting temps high 300's to low 400's. But that's still cooler than the glass. Just wondering if I could be losing that much heat out the back due to no insulation and no plate.

Still experimenting with this. Getting pretty good heat but I fear the lack of insulation and a block off plate is hampering the performance.
I have noticed I get HUGE heat with the door open. I know that's not an efficient method, but it can heat a room very quickly that way.
Wood is dry, well below 20%. And I do a generous load a little above the bricks when its cold, but not crowding the tube. And I see secondary burn at the tubes. I did mimic your prob trick with a BBQ meter. I was getting temps high 300's to low 400's. But that's still cooler than the glass. Just wondering if I could be losing that much heat out the back due to no insulation and no plate.

Is the probe on the collar? If so, high 300s low 400s is good there. I can have the stovetop at 550 or higher and the collar at around 400. That’s actually about where I like to keep it.

In terms of the heat output a block off plate will make a world of difference, especially with the fan on low / off.

No it's close to the right front. The stove was hot so I used needle nose pliers to put it as far back as I could reach and put a wrench on it to hold it in contact with the stove top.

I did solve part of the riddle with the house heat problem by blocking off the air circulation from the family room.

That's a huge space on the north side of the house, walls of windows and skylights and 24' ceiling peak. The house has a big "Figure 8" air flow that passes through the family room, which was sending a "polar vortex" into the room with the insert. I don't think it will keep up even after we put a block off plate.

A door will be going up in the family room next spring at the same time as the block off plate.

I have a 1700 so i can fit more but you should be getting more than 2 hours and it shouldn't take that long to get up to that temp. Load the box up. This year I'm burning maple and cherry I got for free off Craigslist. I split it last April and top covered it. Maybe cut some pallets up and mix a few pieces with your wood and see if that helps. I'm getting ahead working on some dead standing oak this winter for next year. I also made a solar kiln for some dead oak and soft wood I split this summer.

No it's close to the right front. The stove was hot so I used needle nose pliers to put it as far back as I could reach and put a wrench on it to hold it in contact with the stove top.

I did solve part of the riddle with the house heat problem by blocking off the air circulation from the family room.

That's a huge space on the north side of the house, walls of windows and skylights and 24' ceiling peak. The house has a big "Figure 8" air flow that passes through the family room, which was sending a "polar vortex" into the room with the insert. I don't think it will keep up even after we put a block off plate.

A door will be going up in the family room next spring at the same time as the block off plate.

That’s a pretty good temp for where you’re measuring it.

I started a new fire about an hour ago. Right now I’ve got these temps:

Flue collar: 373
Stove Top ~12” back: 500
Left Front 4” back with IR Gun: 360
Right Front 4” back with IR Gun: 400

So it really depends on where you’re measuring and more importantly how good the fire looks. Good secondaries with a lazy but solid flame is where you want to be. If the fire looks good then you’re probably good.

I have a 1700 so i can fit more but you should be getting more than 2 hours and it shouldn't take that long to get up to that temp. Load the box up. This year I'm burning maple and cherry I got for free off Craigslist. I split it last April and top covered it. Maybe cut some pallets up and mix a few pieces with your wood and see if that helps. I'm getting ahead working on some dead standing oak this winter for next year. I also made a solar kiln for some dead oak and soft wood I split this summer.

Friday I’m going to load it up to the top of the fire bricks and let it rip. It’s supposed to be pretty cold out then. And once that’s burns down I would load it up again right?

This is how I have it loaded for Friday night. 4 splits. News paper and kindling on top.

Attachments

• 4ACA2B22-9644-44A0-B02F-D9C4EAC3E78F.jpeg
    4ACA2B22-9644-44A0-B02F-D9C4EAC3E78F.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 236
This is how I have it loaded for Friday night. 4 splits. News paper and kindling on top.

I’d try putting kindling on the from one the bottom in front of the dog house.
If you have smaller stuff that you could orient the other direction it would be easier.

For reload, wait several hours until there’s a small amount of coals. Pull them all the way forward in a line across the front - again in front of the dog house. Lay the new splits on top.

I would put more. I load up to the secondary bars, but I load north to south. not sure what size your firebox would fit loading that way. How much kindling is back there? I only see 5 pieces. could work but if your wood isn't ideal I'd put a few thicker sizes. Hit up a dumpster and grab scrap 2x4 or whatever is in there. I keep a box with some small splits and some that I only split in half. I might do a cold start tomorrow night depending what time I get home. I'll take a pic

Yeah, you could probably fit another split in there but it’s a little dicey when loading EW because the top one can roll into the glass.

If that happens it’s ok - it will dirty the glass but ideally you don’t want that to happen.

Also if you are questioning whether to add more kindling, then add more kindling.

This is mine for tonight. I had some short pieces because I had to cut some long ones that wouldn't fit and it's what was in top in my storage rack.20191204_205142.jpg

I have four pieces of kindling on top of the wood. This is the kiln dried wood from Lowes that I'm using so it is pretty dry. I'll add more kindling and ill look for a piece or two of drier small wood in my stack to add NS.

I think the length for NS for me is about 14-15". For the coming seasons I'm going to start cutting some shorter splits so I can load NS for colder nights.

Ya I would pack that thing and definitely use more kindling to get the temp up quicker. That load from last night kept the fans on till 610am right after I woke up and reloaded.

Reactions: RIMatt
So once I light this, at what temp (stove top or flue collar) do I start to close down the primary air? I haven’t figured that part out yet. I have an IR gun and I point it infront of the collar about a foot away.

So once I light this, at what temp (stove top or flue collar) do I start to close down the primary air? I haven’t figured that part out yet. I have an IR gun and I point it infront of the collar about a foot away.

I’d start with 300F pointed at the collar. You want to keep the flames pretty vigorous for a while. Try cutting down to half at 300 and then check every 5 minutes and cut it down a little more if the fire has built up again. Eventually after half hour or so you should have it cut down 85% to 95% and you should have good secondaries (assuming your wood is good and dry). With an EW load I’d err on the side or more air then less.

Reactions: moresnow
So basically start her up, let it heat up for about 5-10 mins with the door cracked then close the door and keep the primary open until 300 at the flue collar. Cut it to half and then keep checking and adjusting down about every 5 mins until the stove is at 550-600? This should be done in about a half hour or so?

5 to 10 with the door cracked is a long time. I would only do it until the kindling fire can support itself. This is usually 1-2 minutes for me with a decent amount of kindling and a super cedar. If the fire is self supporting and there’s not much visible smoke in the firebox then I’d keep the door closed.

That’s also why I said to build some kindling in front of the dog house. Getting that going right there with fresh air hitting it directly really helps.

Reactions: shortys7777
I point the gun right on the flue collar and turn down depending on the flame and the temp there. I keep turning down depending on how well it is heating up. anywhere from a couple minutes to 10-15 depending if I am in the room or not. When its at cruising temp I check the flue collar again and the top left of the front of the stove above the glass. Last night my flue collar was 408 and the front top left was 396. It takes a little longer for the front of the firebox to get up to the same temp as the flue collar. You'll learn what works and what doesn
t. Keep an eye on your chimney cap and clean more often if you're worried. I got the soot eater for christmas last year. I will probably clean it out sometime after christmas when we have a nice day just for my own peace of mind.

Reactions: RIMatt
Yesterday, I had a good burn going from 1030am to about 9pm. I loaded the stove twice through out the day with the driest wood I could find in my pile. Unfortunately only the smallest splits are good enough to burn right now. I was able to get some good heat out of the unit. It was a comfortable 75 in the house and about 33 outside. I cant wait until my wood dries out and I am able to throw a few bigger pieces in the box to burn and hopefully get a little longer burn times. I started at 1030, reloaded at 230, then reloaded again around 530 and at 9 I had nice glowing coals. I didnt reload again at 9 before bed because I wasnt confident my wood would have caught easily and I didnt want it to smolder and waste all that heat. Overall I was a warm and happy camper yesterday. I find that once you get the stove up to temp with dry wood its pretty easy to dial in.

I do the opposite - paper on the bottom, kindling next and small splits on top. I get a quick fire, the fan kicks in within 12-15 minutes and I start feeding larger splits after that.

Put some ash in the morning. I have everything closed down completely. My flue collar is reading 440 and the front corners are reading just about the same. I have the fan on full speed. Is this safe? That's with the gun a foot away. I just cleaned the chimney 3 days ago so it's clean. I've been monitoring the temp for 40 minutes. Hasn't changed much. Thanks!

Last edited:
Put some ash in the morning. I have everything closed down completely. My flue collar is reading 440 and the front corners are reading just about the same. I have the fan on full speed. Is this safe? That's with the gun a foot away. I just cleaned the chimney 3 days ago so it's clean. I've been monitoring the temp for 40 minutes. Hasn't changed much. Thanks!
Should be ok. Sounds like the ash is nice and dry.

I know this is an old thread but maybe someone will look at it. I just had an enviro 1700 installed. I have a question about ash and coals. When do you remove them and how much do you remove? I have so many coals in the firebox that it’s basically half way up the fire bricks. We take some ash out everyday but afraid to take to much out. The installer said to remove ash every few days and only a scoop or two. How is that possible? I feel like I have so much coals and ash that if I put 2-3 pieces of wood it’s above the fire bricks and touching the top of the tubes. I am also not getting good burn times but still trying to do research and figure it out more.