Enviro Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hope your Kodiak goes forever too.

Stovelark, for those of us who have Enviro stoves that we want to maintain as long as possible, are there any wear components (e.g. baffle, fan) that we should stock up on now? I'm concerned that if I try to buy a part that fails in 5-10 yrs, I may not be able to find it.

Stovelark, for those of us who have Enviro stoves that we want to maintain as long as possible, are there any wear components (e.g. baffle, fan) that we should stock up on now? I'm concerned that if I try to buy a part that fails in 5-10 yrs, I may not be able to find it.
I would buy secondary tubes and extra baffles.enviro has the worst customer service around.phoned them to ask a few questions and they would not talk to me and gave me the distributer in canada to talk to.they said enviro was tough to get parts for.thats what I was TOLD.that said I burn 24/7 and could not take a chance on parts availability. As much as I hated to I parted ways with enviro.loved my kodiak .

236.JPG

Duae, Any version of black high temp (I still prefer satin black from stovebright) will do. Just remember, when you repaint, it will stink a bit from the paint curing. Hope your Kodiak goes forever too.

Thanks, Stovelark. I appreciate it.

I would stock up on as many parts as possible. Baffles and tubes for sure. My insert had the little switch malfunction for the fan. The thermostat controlled one stopped working so it only turns on in the “ always on “ position. If your in it for the long haul I’d by everything I could get my hands on to make future repairs simple.
Brick is easy enough to find as well as door seal rope. But I’d say get as many parts as you can and then rest easy knowing you’re backed up if something fails, especially mid winter.
It’s really a shame enviro stopped making wood stoves. They had a good product. Such an easy to light and burn unit.Good looks too.

Ok so believe it or not, I just found a ridiculously good deal on a used Boston 1700. I am really tempted to just buy it as a parts stove...

Ok so believe it or not, I just found a ridiculously good deal on a used Boston 1700. I am really tempted to just buy it as a parts stove...
If the stove is run right and not overheated, it will last a long time. But if you have a good dry area to store it, I'd buy it, if nothing else, for resale next fall.

I'd still stock up on OEM door gasket material. You will need that every 5 yrs or so.

If the stove is run right and not overheated, it will last a long time. But if you have a good dry area to store it, I'd buy it, if nothing else, for resale next fall.

I'd still stock up on OEM door gasket material. You will need that every 5 yrs or so.

Thanks. I'll buy the gasket material. We try to be careful with our stove. I guess I'm just scared that 10 years from now there will be something that breaks, and we'll have to retire it prematurely. The stove that is for sale looks like it is in mint condition, and it's selling for $700.

That is a very good deal if indeed it's a low mileage Boston 1700. Is this a freestander or insert?

That is a very good deal if indeed it's a low mileage Boston 1700. Is this a freestander or insert?

It is an insert. It would also give me the freedom if we were ever to move to take one of them with me, assuming the seller wanted to hang on to the one that is installed.

When I was looking for stoves, I realized that although there are tons of stoves out there, there aren't many that combine all of the following:
  • Insert (this narrows the list significantly)
  • Loads north/south (also reduces the list substantially)
  • 2.5 cuft or larger
  • Non-catalytic
  • Cast Iron jacketed steel stove
To my knowledge, the Enviro stoves were the only ones that checked all of these boxes. The PE T5 checks every box but size. I think I'd be happy with a Summit, although I do really like the cast iron look.

The Hampton HI300 covered this too along with the Hearthstone Clydesdale.

Reactions: illini81
If Russn77 lived closer I would have suggested he consider a trip over to CT.

Reactions: illini81
The Hampton HI300 covered this too along with the Hearthstone Clydesdale.

Good to know! I had thought the Clydesdale was E/W. I also thought it was soapstone lined on the inside?

I looked at the Hampton, but it was slightly smaller (2.3 vs 2.5), whereas I figured I needed to be as close to 3.0 cuft as possible. Also, Enviro made some pretty outrageous claims (up to 12 hr burn times, heat up to 3,000 sqft) which were backed up by several people I contacted privately on the forums. Not to say that the stove will burn for 12 hrs with any load or that it will heat any 3,000 sqft house. But there were owners who confirmed they were getting burn times (i.e. coals for next reload) of up to 12 hrs and were heating houses over 2,000 sqft. Happily, I found that both claims were true for our situation as well.

If Russn77 lived closer I would have suggested he consider a trip over to CT.

I appreciate you thinking of me! After talking with my wife though, I think we both agree that an insert isn't what we want. I think she hates the extra background noise (fan) more than I do.

I appreciate you thinking of me! After talking with my wife though, I think we both agree that an insert isn't what we want. I think she hates the extra background noise (fan) more than I do.
It's arguably one of the best-looking inserts made and it sticks out a bit onto the hearth for adequate heating without the blower. What is the frame of reference? The old CDW? That is not typical of a good insert.

It's arguably one of the best-looking inserts made and it sticks out a bit onto the hearth for adequate heating without the blower. What is the frame of reference? The old CDW? That is not typical of a good insert.

Its more of the fact that we have 4 young boys in the house.. and extra noise is just... bad. Our house isn't huge for our size family, and being a log cabin, sound kind of reverberates throughout the house. It's probably a psychological thing as well. And I'm sure my wife will not want to buy used regardless. I'm a very handy guy, but this stove install she wants done by the "professionals".

After installing my insert myself and seeing how all my neighbors insert were installed by the "professionals", I would never let a local professional near my fireplace.

Thanks. I'll buy the gasket material. We try to be careful with our stove. I guess I'm just scared that 10 years from now there will be something that breaks, and we'll have to retire it prematurely. The stove that is for sale looks like it is in mint condition, and it's selling for $700.
Wow. Assuming you aren't far from me. Good deal. Wish it was for sale when I was looking 3 years ago. Ended up with a barely used Kodiak. I love it. Not my forever home, so not sure it will be coming with me depending on what the lay out is at my next place. I'd love a free stander

Love all the Enviro wood stove love- don't understand why Sherwood didn't get them approved, guess cost was just prohibitive. Enviro wood stoves burn beautifully, were reasonably priced (but got very expensive towards the end) and were great performers.
For spares, I have a set of burntubes, ceramic baffles and an extra piece of glass for mine. i'm now in my 60's so this will be my last stove unless it is a steal. I'm moving toward gas, lots of pretty gas stoves too, but I'd have to burn propane, too darn expensive here in SE CT.
Keep going folks, I do like the Pacific Energy and Hampton woodstoves too...

Love all the Enviro wood stove love- don't understand why Sherwood didn't get them approved, guess cost was just prohibitive. Enviro wood stoves burn beautifully, were reasonably priced (but got very expensive towards the end) and were great performers.
For spares, I have a set of burntubes, ceramic baffles and an extra piece of glass for mine. i'm now in my 60's so this will be my last stove unless it is a steal. I'm moving toward gas, lots of pretty gas stoves too, but I'd have to burn propane, too darn expensive here in SE CT.
Keep going folks, I do like the Pacific Energy and Hampton woodstoves too...

Thanks! I will follow your lead. If a blower goes bad, is it possible to replace with non-OEM?

Thanks! I will follow your lead. If a blower goes bad, is it possible to replace with non-OEM?
That sounds worthy of some pro-active research by documenting in detail the current blower. A replacement blower is available here:
And in Canada here:

It looks like some parts, like burn tubes are compatible with some Vistaflame models. I’m not sure what’s happening with the Vistaflame pellet line - hopefully there is some interchangeability between the old wood stoves and Sherwood’s current offerings. That being said, I’ll probably still hoard some tubes. There also looks to be an aftermarket baffle that’s compatible as well that’s cheaper than the OEM version.

Yes everyone- VF is a sister to Enviro. Looks like Enviro is going to be just pellets and heavy into gas, the trend for all. Their wood stove parts will be available for years, just will get more expensive...

Just placed an order for a bunch of replacement parts for my Enviro Boston 1700. Was getting nervous that when/if ever needed I wouldn’t be able to find parts on this discontinued stove.
It’s really to bad they stopped making them, considering what a great stove this is.

GM Haven,

Totally agree with you. Has been mentioned to us that Enviro might start back up with wood stoves, seeing as the feds are after a lot of gas products here of late. Rumor only from what I can see. I hope they do, their Kodiak steel stoves were pretty much bullet proof and the Boston was the steel stove clad in cast iron, a gorgeous combo, behaved like a steel stove (easy to run, warmed up quick), pretty as a cast stove. Stay warm.