EPA approved stove for tax credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

34Roy

Oct 1, 2016
Michigan
Are all EPA stoves that are approved for tax credit decent stoves? I've been looking at Jotul, Quadra Fire, Lopi.., many of which are not available until spring 2022. Then I noticed that the Ashley stoves that are eligible for the tax credit are available in my area at the big box stores for a fraction of the cost of those mentioned above. They can be delivered in a matter of weeks. We are looking for a stove that will be be utilized in the event of energy outage and some supplemental.

Thank you in advance for your input. BTW, this is for a new build which is extremely well insulated.

No not all EPA stoves qualify. Search here for qualifying models. HHV must 75% or greater.

I think the question is whether all tax rebate qualifying stoves are of high quality. That is a big no. Meeting a specific efficiency requirement for a test at a lab is zero guarantee of quality.

Reactions: Ashful and woodey
I think the question is whether all tax rebate qualifying stoves are of high quality. That is a big no. Meeting a specific efficiency requirement for a test at a lab is zero guarantee of quality.
28/52 are made by Blaze King, regency, Kuma, Morso, Travis, and Woodstock, That’s enough to have several choices. I wouldn’t question a stove from any of the above listed manufacturers.

Reactions: Ashful
28/52 are made by Blaze King, regency, Kuma, Morso, Travis, and Woodstock, That’s enough to have several choices. I wouldn’t question a stove from any of the above listed manufacturers.

What about the other 24? Are you willing to make a blanket statement that high efficiency always equals high quality?

What about the other 24? Are you willing to make a blanket statement that high efficiency always equals high quality?
That isn't what he said at all. He said there is lots of choice in good stoves from the list. For the record I am still not sure about the regency cascade line.

Reactions: Ashful
Of course not. Consumers should do their homework. There are good stoves to be had. I think the absence of reputable brands, like Pacific energy and SBI, from that list also should be noted.

Reactions: Ashful and Highbeam
That isn't what he said at all. He said there is lots of choice in good stoves from the list. For the record I am still not sure about the regency cascade line.
That’s why I asked, I used a question mark. I wasn’t putting words in his mouth. Point is, sure there are great qualifying stoves but it’s important to realize that epa is testing for certain things, quality is not one of them.

Anybody have personal experience with the Ashley the OP asked about?

Last edited:
I think the question is whether all tax rebate qualifying stoves are of high quality. That is a big no
A huge no...one of the "qualifying" wood furnaces is a real terd...

The issue with the lower quality of stoves like the ashley's is that your getting what your paying for, nothing wrong with them, they will just wear out much sooner then higher quality stoves.

Good Day, came across this thread and was wondering how do I search the EPA spreadsheet for ZC wood fireplaces that qualify hhv 75%? I do not see the filter to support this search.

Dave

I went through the whole list of >75% on the EPA site and made a catalog with pictures for each stove, prices I can find, and links to websites that show their prices. I did skip all the very traditional looking ones, as those will not suit my space. I then calculated the after tax rebate cost for them assuming $2000 for install supplies and $1000 install labor. Maybe someone will find it useful.

At the end I added a few that are <75% that I'm interested in, just to compare after the $3000 install cost.

Reactions: tjohnson
I went through the whole list of >75% on the EPA site and made a catalog with pictures for each stove, prices I can find, and links to websites that show their prices. I did skip all the very traditional looking ones, as those will not suit my space. I then calculated the after tax rebate cost for them assuming $2000 for install supplies and $1000 install labor. Maybe someone will find it useful.

At the end I added a few that are <75% that I'm interested in, just to compare after the $3000 install cost.
LOL my pleasant hearth is the winner by a long shot.;)

Well, he made the right first step: coming here and asking for advice. Even between cheap stoves, there can be big differences in quality and suitability for a given application. This is the place to learn about any specific model.

As noted, not everyone can jump right into a premium brand.

Reactions: bholler
Well if it does the job, and satisfied with the looks, more power to him.
Absolutely and if he likes the stove and it works for him great. But to imply a stove with such poor build quality is the clear winner just because of the price and the fact it qualifies for the tax credit I don't feel is an accurate statement