EPA Stoves Approved for Fireplace Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dylanboro

May 15, 2021
Western Massachusetts
Hello Everyone,

As stated above, I'm looking for freestanding EPA wood stoves that are approved for masonry fireplace install.

I have a 1,200 SF saltbox house in western Massachusetts that's open concept. Built it 1979, the insulation is not great. I was looking at inserts but prefer the aesthetic, and radiant of freestanding stoves.

My first choice was the Buck 91, but my 6" chimney liner is too small for the 8" flue vent required. My second choice was the Jotul f55 v2, but the efficiency is below 75% so it doesn't qualify for the 30% tax credit.

Does anyone know any tax credit wood stoves that are approved for fireplace install? I'm open to the right insert if it protrudes enough and primarily functions as a radiant heat source. Also needs to be a decent size firebox for overnight burns since I heat primarily with wood.

Thanks in advance!

PXL_20221030_165356730.jpgPXL_20221014_153858029.jpg

What are the full fireplace dimensions?

The opening is 27.25" H x 43.5" W. Hearth protrudes 17.5". Distance from back of fireplace to opening is 21" at the bottom and 19" at the top. Width of the back of the fireplace is 32". Thanks

The height will be the determining factor for a freestanding stove. 27.5" is below most stove heights and below several flue collar heights. Have you looked at Woodstock stoves? A rear-vented Progress Hybrid with short legs would work if the hearth extension is deep enough.

The height will be the determining factor for a freestanding stove. 27.5" is below most stove heights and below several flue collar heights. Have you looked at Woodstock stoves? A rear-vented Progress Hybrid with short legs would work if the hearth extension is deep enough.
I have. The ideal steel fits the description, but the rear vent is too high and the legs can't be lowered enough to vent it out the top.

Not opposed to having the lintel raised for the right stove.

Being approved for fireplace is great but with limites options I'm willing to look at all stoves.

@begreen I read fast and didn't see your recommendation for the progress hybrid. Definitely a great option I'll look into!

You can always run an insert without the surround. Opens up lots more options. Osborn would be good brand to look at. Really a stove set back in there needs a fan if you’re heating a large space with it. Blisters on most inserts are pretty quiet and it really doesn’t take that much air moving through the stove to really up the heat output. Want to go big?

I wouldn't let the tax credit force you away from a stove you want. If you split the savings up on a per year basis based on the life of the stove, it doesn't cost much more per year to get the stove you want.

You can always run an insert without the surround. Opens up lots more options. Osborn would be good brand to look at. Really a stove set back in there needs a fan if you’re heating a large space with it. Blisters on most inserts are pretty quiet and it really doesn’t take that much air moving through the stove to really up the heat output. Want to go big?
Yes, the goal is to comfortably wear a t shirt in my living room. I'll take a look at the Osborn inserts. Thanks for the comment.

Reactions: EbS-P
There are stoves that have short leg options: Woodstock Progress Hybrid and Jotul F55 to name two. My hearth has an opening or 27” and both work using rear exit that both also have.

Reactions: EbS-P
There are stoves that have short leg options: Woodstock Progress Hybrid and Jotul F55 to name two. My hearth has an opening or 27” and both work using rear exit that both also have.
My original choice was the Jotul F55 but it doesn't qualify for a tax rebate. Still a contender. An equivalent stove at 30% off is more enticing through.

My original choice was the Jotul F55 but it doesn't qualify for a tax rebate. Still a contender. An equivalent stove at 30% off is more enticing through.
Picked mine up a F55 in MA for $2k brand new.

The credit caps at $2000.

Picked mine up a F55 in MA for $2k brand new.
Make that stole. :cool:

From where? I was quoted 3700 with the short leg kit from Higgins.
Yankee Fireplace & Grill in Middleton, ask for Alan Davis and see what he can do for you. He used to do via their web sales if I recall correctly.

Yankee Fireplace & Grill in Middleton, ask for Alan Davis and see what he can do for you. He used to do via their web sales if I recall correctly.
@KDubU Well I did it! Called Yankee Fireplace and Alan wasn't in. They quoted me $3,500. Happened to stumble upon a brand new on on FB marketplace posted by Alan. Next thing I know I'm on the phone with him and he's placing the order. 3 days later I made the drive and picked it up for $2,500 out the door.

Running it through the break in process now, but seems to be a phenomenal stove. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: EbS-P and begreen
They say, pics or it didn't happen. :cool:

Here I was getting all ready to show what an Osburn insert with no surround looked like. Nice!

Look at begreen being all hip!

• Haha
Reactions: weee123
@KDubU Well I did it! Called Yankee Fireplace and Alan wasn't in. They quoted me $3,500. Happened to stumble upon a brand new on on FB marketplace posted by Alan. Next thing I know I'm on the phone with him and he's placing the order. 3 days later I made the drive and picked it up for $2,500 out the door.

Running it through the break in process now, but seems to be a phenomenal stove. Thanks for the tip!
No worries. Yeah Alan posts the F55 on Marketplace and he is the only one that can get you the price as it’s a “web sale”. They do not stock Jotul as they are not an authorized dealer in that area. Enjoy the stove, I hope to get mine all connected and installed in the next couple weeks.