Looking for clarification of EPA certification & tax credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

soundofsilence

Mar 28, 2022
Chicagoland
Hi everyone, we purchased the Matrix 2700 last year, and at the time I remember reading that it had barely missed being EPA certified and eligible for the tax credit. However, I thought I had read somewhere that it may reach certification at a later date. Well, it's a year later and I figured I'd look to see if anything had changed.

Under the SPECS/MANUAL of the official manufacturer site it says "Yes, EPA 2020 approved" -- see here:

Our invoice is dated Sep 2022, are we still able to apply for a tax credit as it looks like this model is now EPA certified? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

Hi everyone, we purchased the Matrix 2700 last year, and at the time I remember reading that it had barely missed being EPA certified and eligible for the tax credit. However, I thought I had read somewhere that it may reach certification at a later date. Well, it's a year later and I figured I'd look to see if anything had changed.

Under the SPECS/MANUAL of the official manufacturer site it says "Yes, EPA 2020 approved" -- see here:

Our invoice is dated Sep 2022, are we still able to apply for a tax credit as it looks like this model is now EPA certified? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!
Epa approved doesn't mean it qualifies for the tax credit. Just that it's legal to sell

I believe SBI some time in 2022 -21 certified some of their models were tax credit eligible. I never got around amending my tax return. But as long as the dates match I’d say you could amend IF the matrix was in the list of tax credit eligible appliances for that tax year. Full disclosure SBI say they are eligible but the don’t meet the government requirements. They won’t come after you but it’s a bit of a grey area.

Reactions: bholler
Yes, it's a dumb and arbitrary amount. If it was just 2% less at 73%, many more stoves would be included.