Tax credit for used stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AZnewbie

Oct 4, 2022
Arizona
We bought a used Intrepid II 1990 last year (2022) and installed it ourselves (paying close attention to the required clearances, etc). We paid about 1000 for the stove and about 1000 for the materials for installation. A couple of questions:

1. The stove is on the EPA list, when you check the " Previously Certified Models that are Out of Production". Does that mean that the stove qualifies for the current tax rebate?

2. I don't see anything in the IRS information that specifies that you have to buy a new stove for the credit--anyone have experience or knowledge about that?

3. I assume that IF the stove qualifies we can take the credit for the installation materials even if we can't include the cost of the stove (because of it being used). (We bought it assuming we could only take the credit for the installation materials but now I am wondering if the stove itself might qualify.)

Thank you for sharing your experience, I have learned a LOT from this forum. By the way, I expect some to recommend that we ask our tax guy but we do our own taxes so I thought I would see if anyone here could help.

Kathy

I know that Vermont Castings stoves are not loved by all but this stove has worked very well for us. We are now very comfortable in the evenings and have saved on our utility bill each month. This is our first wood stove and we are learning.

Without personally knowing definitive answer, I would bet money a used stove does not qualify. I don't know of anything bought used that qualifies for tax credits.

No used stoves don't qualify. To qualify a stove needs to be 75% efficient or higher as tested by the 2020 EPA standards.