2023 Biomass Tax Credit Clarification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hoot

Burning Hunk
Jan 6, 2012
Ben Wheeler, TX
Some retailers are saying the stove must be installed by a professional in order to qualify for the credit.
I could not find anything that confirms this.
This is the only mention of installer and it looks to be a suggestion.

"To ensure that your stove burns as efficiently, cleanly, and safely as possible, be sure to have it installed by a professional credentialed by the National Fireplace Institute."

Please refer to IRs.gov...the retailer aint gonna help you if Irs asks for receipts.. i'd call bs it.get a receipt either way.

Installing yourself still gets you the max tax credit if your stove/liner hits the max x 30%. So install cost could be irrelevant for a pricey stove.

Reactions: hoot
Please refer to IRs.gov...the retailer aint gonna help you if Irs asks for receipts.. i'd call bs it.get a receipt either way.

Installing yourself still gets you the max tax credit if your stove/liner hits the max x 30%. So install cost could be irrelevant for a pricey stove.
Thank you and yes I easily hit the $2000 max.