EPA banning Catalytic stoves? "ZONKS"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldspark said:
The rat just turned into a mouse!

The only thing that counts is if it gets the cheese or not. :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:
Since we want to be accurate here, remeasure your usable fire box, it's more like 2.7, and while your at it unplug those zipper air outlets you modified to get a longer dirtier burn! :coolgrin:

The original long burns were before zipping up the zipper. And the firebox size measured to the top of the bricks leaving the combustion space above it is a dead even 3.0cf. That is why I say it and the Summit have the same box size. Summit owners stuff it up to the baffle but anymore I only load to the top of the bricks. So we have the same size load of wood.

Not a dimes worth of difference in burn time not stacking it up to the baffle and more heat and a more consistent burn leaving the combustion space. And anymore I burn all N/S. The thing burns forever E/W but I absolutely hate having to stack a load and get it going that way.

try using a tape measure instead of a case of Naty Lites. :lol:

BLIMP said:
Todd said:
BLIMP said:
stoveguy13 said:
everyone can defenend there cat stove and non cat stoves as much as they want but until the standards are set there is no one that will be able to tell you what the final outcome will be but i can tell you this , the likely hood of the cat becoming the standard again in very small the chc dosent even have a horse in this race! this is all about politics and the hpba pocket book those maf. dont even show up on the radar
catstove is complicated to operate properly & if not so,,, polluting!+ cats wear out, etc. I CAN SEE WHERE THE EPA IS COMING FROM

EPA doesn't have all the facts. I think you need to install one of those inline cats on your sawdust burner right before your Magic Heat.
why? the MH never plugs, i clean chimni every few years, & the sdust dont burn hot enuff to burn my hand on the fluepipe anyway.

Why not? Maybe you can squeeze a few more BTU's out and get a better efficiency?

With all the stupidity in the air right now we will be luckly to keep any wood burners.

Todd said:
BLIMP said:
Todd said:
BLIMP said:
stoveguy13 said:
everyone can defenend there cat stove and non cat stoves as much as they want but until the standards are set there is no one that will be able to tell you what the final outcome will be but i can tell you this , the likely hood of the cat becoming the standard again in very small the chc dosent even have a horse in this race! this is all about politics and the hpba pocket book those maf. dont even show up on the radar
catstove is complicated to operate properly & if not so,,, polluting!+ cats wear out, etc. I CAN SEE WHERE THE EPA IS COMING FROM

EPA doesn't have all the facts. I think you need to install one of those inline cats on your sawdust burner right before your Magic Heat.
why? the MH never plugs, i clean chimni every few years, & the sdust dont burn hot enuff to burn my hand on the fluepipe anyway.

Why not? Maybe you can squeeze a few more BTU's out and get a better efficiency?
if the "smoke" had something to burn it would plug up the MH

Back to OP.

When we started thinking about a replacement for our smoke dragon we went to out local stove shop. I asked about cat stoves. They told me that they were old technology and that nobody buys them anymore. I asked what he thought about the Woodstock Soapstone stoves and he told me that he wasn't even sure if they were still business. I guess both stove guys didn't want to let the truth get in the way of a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.