EPA banning stove production in the future? Any industry people confirm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JKanor

Oct 17, 2018
Northeast PA
So a good friend was telling me today that a reputable retail location here in Northeast PA was telling him that the EPA plans on banning the sale of new woods stoves in the near future for residential heat. Basically told him, if you plan on buying a new one, buy it soon cause new production won't be around much all that much longer.

Does anyone know if thats true? I can't really find anything on it besides that they upped the emissions standards recently.

Pic of my first fire this year in my BK princess just for the hell of it.

Attachments

• 20201008_223845.jpg
    20201008_223845.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 137
So a good friend was telling me today that a reputable retail location here in Northeast PA was telling him that the EPA plans on banning the sale of new woods stoves in the near future for residential heat. Basically told him, if you plan on buying a new one, buy it soon cause new production won't be around much all that much longer.

Does anyone know if thats true? I can't really find anything on it besides that they upped the emissions standards recently.

Pic of my first fire this year in my BK princess just for the hell of it.
It is complete nonsense

Well we see from short term past experience how our local, state and federal governments handled a major health crisis, I think we'll be burning wood stoves for a long while if we please.

The EPA would never ban wood heating outright. What they could do though is make such stringent emission regulations that it's effectively impossible to pass.

I think the best example to look at are diesel trucks. The EPA phased in more and more stringent requirements over the years to reduce pollution, but manufacturers were given fair and ample warning of these changes. If they desired to do the same with wood stoves I think they would follow the same process, both manufacturers and consumers would be made well aware of the changes before they came into effect. The people at the EPA are very well aware of what's possible for wood stove emissions, I don't think they'd set limits that were technically impossible to meet.

What's much more likely is cities and municipalities putting restrictions on their use, some of our major cities have placed limits on when stoves can be used, and some are mandating that only new stoves meeting the 2.5gr/hr limits be used. A couple small towns have even banned the install of wood stoves in new homes.

Reactions: JimBear and EbS-P
The best source for info about the EPA is generally ...the EPA. They aren't some black cave where regulations are cast in stone and set by the entrance every few months. They're a government agency, with a web page, where they publish regulations, tentative standards, host comment sessions, etc. They even answer questions if you contact them!

etc...

What's much more likely is cities and municipalities putting restrictions on their use, some of our major cities have placed limits on when stoves can be used, and some are mandating that only new stoves meeting the 2.5gr/hr limits be used. A couple small towns have even banned the install of wood stoves in new homes.
This is a more likely scenario. On Nov 16th Fairbanks, AK is going to release their testing result and what stoves they will permit burning there.

Reactions: JimBear
The shop is looking for a sales boom in tough times.

Think about how many people rely on wood for there only source of heat. How many more use it as the primary source of affordable heat. Not a chance that wood stoves sales are banned without significant uproar.

Like others have said, I can see it being banned in a few communities where every house has access to natural gas and the local govt doesn't understand that new cat stoves dont really hurt localized air quality. But other than that, no.

Reactions: Gunn and JimBear
Many towns in my area put ordnances into effect on outdoor wood boilers and furnaces, they stipulated that properties needed to have a certain amount of acreage to have one installed, the problem was many people were installing them and essentially running them at idyll year round on green wood, hazy humid days those area's would have so much low smoke, many complaints from neighbors and such.

So a good friend was telling me today that a reputable retail location here in Northeast PA was telling him that the EPA plans on banning the sale of new woods stoves in the near future for residential heat.
Fourth-hand information is just that. And no one knows how many other retellings this got before the dealer. The EPA is not out to close down a multibillion-dollar industry. They have a responsibility to develop a wood smoke reduction plan can help achieve meaningful emission reductions and improve public health in the local community. It's a long term goal. The current 2020 regs gave the industry 5 yrs. to adapt. Phase II is the first major change in about 35 yrs. This is not an overnight process. The salesperson was blowing smoke and either taking advantage of consumer confusion or a poorly informed rumor monger.

Reactions: JKanor and Gunn
Seems like every two or three years we see a thread about the impending doom of the EPA making wood burning illegal.

I suspect it will not happen in my life time . . . for all of the reasons other folks have mentioned.

I also suspect some places may adopt more stringent requirements depending on population density or micro-climates . . . but where I live I don't suspect that will be too much of an issue.

Reactions: JimBear and bholler
They would look ridiculous trying that. How much smoke is produced by just a few of the fires on the west coast versus all the wood stoves in North America? Start there first.
Comparing the two is not that relevant. Yes, the fires created a temporary situation that was intolerable and there is little that anyone can do about that other than reduce exposure. Conversely, if one lives in a situation where temperature inversions commonly trap smoke in the region, then that is what is relevant. Serious air pollution that is human-caused can be remedied. This is what the local, regional, state or federal authority addresses. It's why the air in our cities is so much cleaner and healthier since lead was removed from gasoline and emissions controls were employed.

Comparing the two is not that relevant. Yes, the fires created a temporary situation that was intolerable and there is little that anyone can do about that other than reduce exposure. Conversely, if one lives in a situation where temperature inversions commonly trap smoke in the region, then that is what is relevant. Serious air pollution that is human-caused can be remedied. This is what the local, regional, state or federal authority addresses. It's why the air in our cities is so much cleaner and healthier since lead was removed from gasoline and emissions controls were employed.

I get it I was just saying banning them all together is silly. I grew up in the Rogue Valley in Oregon I know all about the smoke getting trapped during the winter. I’m a fan of cleaner more efficient Wood stoves for sure.

Got it and agreed. The EPA is not going to ban stoves within my lifetime.

I get it I was just saying banning them all together is silly. I grew up in the Rogue Valley in Oregon I know all about the smoke getting trapped during the winter. I’m a fan of cleaner more efficient Wood stoves for sure.
New stoves have absolutely made a big difference. But only if run correctly with dry wood which is why education is so important. The EPA burnwise program is great and there are many other state and local programs trying to educate woodburners. Ultimately if people start burning properly there won't be an issue. But if you have ever lived next to someone who's stove or owb constantly bellows smoke it is pretty unpleasant

I wish I could draw cartoons. I think a "They will take my stove out of my cold dead fingers" cartoon would work. ;)