EPA data base BTU ratings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Is the max BTU rating on the EPA database an apple to apples comparison? I'm looking at the Hearthstone Green Mountain 40 (1/3 cubic foot fire box) which says has a BTU range of 13876-31581. I'm also looking at the PE Vista LE (1.55 cubic foot fire box) which has a BTU range of 13494-23186

I currently have a Green Mountain 40 is the right size for my house 75% of the winter and when its really cold it's a bit undersized. Does this mean the PE Vista wont be enough stove because it kicks out less heat?

Both stoves were tested with crib wood and the PE has a bigger fire box and can hold more wood. This seems weird.