EPA Fireplace - Ash Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

savagecanuck

Mar 4, 2012
MN
I'm a newbie to the EPA fireplaces. I have a Kozy Heat z-41 and the installer mentioned keeping a bed of ash at all times. I also noticed a few posts that mentioned something similar, with one mentioning a 1" bed.

What is the reason for this?

What is the reason for this?

Try it and see - stoves just seem to burn better with some ash remaining. Don't know about 1" or any specific amount, but basically, just don't completely remove all ash from the stove at once or vacuum it up out of every nook and cranny. It's enough to remove ash that's settled in the ash pan and any 'excess' in the bed. And don't overdo it.

A bed of ash acts as a surprisingly good insulator, keeping the fire hotter and underneath the stove a little cooler.

Reactions: ScotO
I keep a layer of ash in my stove for a couple of reasons . . . 1) as mentioned it acts as an insulator keeping the hearth below the stove a bit cooler and 2) it helps preserve the coals as coals buried in the ash will burn at a slower rate which is handy when you come home several hours later and just need to open up the air and stir the ash to find enough coals to easily ignite some kindling.

Reactions: ScotO
Indeed ash is an insulator. Mountain men used to carry a hot coal in a leather pouch surrounded by ash which would keep the coal glowing for a considerable amount of time, to make for easy starting of the next fire

+1 to all the above. If you keep ash in the stove, it insulates the coals that lay on the bed of the stove, and it also reflects heat upward (along with the bricks) to keep the core of the stove hot. I always leave at least one to two inches of ash in my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.