EPA JUST A SNIFF AWAY IN ALASKA...NYT ARTICLE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Each bar is one year. The worst year had 11 measured days that exceeded the lower standards. Keep in mind that these measurements were taken at the very worst spot as determined my mobile monitoring. Most areas out of the 180 square miles impacted never had a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Each bar is one year. The worst year had 11 measured days that exceeded the lower standards. Keep in mind that these measurements were taken at the very worst spot as determined my mobile monitoring. Most areas out of the 180 square miles impacted never had a problem.

And there is the biggest problem that I have. Cherry picking the data to label the whole county (or city, whatever) as "dirty". The line for which has been progressively and arbitrarily lowered to the point of just aggressive enough to avoid total revolt. If you have an agenda to ban all burning forever then you can purposely screw these things up.

Yes, why should I stop burning pellets in my Harmon XXV because of an outdoor coal boiler is belching smoke 20 miles away?

I was looking at the upper graph with the alternating grey/white bars. So I'm assuming the 2 graphs correlate and they consider winter as the period from 10/5 to 4/5. So for that 180 day period in 2009 they exceeded aprx. 32 days or about 17% of the time.

Last edited:
I was looking at the upper graph with the alternating grey/white bars. So I'm assuming the 2 graphs correlate and they consider winter as the period from 10/5 to 4/5. So for that 180 day period in 2009 they exceeded aprx. 32 days or about 17% of the time.
Maybe the EPA will cut the limit in half again and we can say that every day is in violation. Imagine the headlines and unlimited funding that would be available then. Based on 2005 regulations levels there were only two wintertime exceedance events in the past decade.

Maybe the EPA will cut the limit in half again and we can say that every day is in violation. Imagine the headlines and unlimited funding that would be available then. Based on 2005 regulations levels there were only two wintertime exceedance events in the past decade.

So say that 1 stove won't violate emmisions, maybe 10 stoves won't. What recourse would a person have that has to live next to that? I supposed they could complain but if your not exceeding emmisions what could be done? Everyone says this type of thing should be handled on the local level. So why wasn't it done. To claim that smoke trapped under an inversion has no effect is just wrong. Maybe if people wouldn't violate burn bans they wouldn't have any violations? And it's not the EPA running around sniffing tail pipes and ticketing wood burners. They a set a standard and it's up to the states/counties to comply. If they choose to go after wood burners rather than a coal plant, then that's a local issue.

Reactions: bholler
We've been fighting the EPA in Fairbanks for 25 years. The impacted area is in the bottom of a bowl surrounded by hills on 3 sides. When it gets -40 below a very strong temperature inversion traps the air in the bottom of the valley.

This bears repeating and I am chagrined I didn't mention it on page two. In milder weather, no inversion layer, no AQ issues. Last winter, 2015/16, we never made it down to -30dF and never had, that I recall, a stage III event.

I live on the very western edge of the rectangle of death. Local to me inversion layers set up around -30dF and clear off around -29dF. I am not going to argue with anyone else's impressions or numbers, I think we all agree we don't have an AQ problem at -10dF or -15dF...

The EPA started with carbon monoxide from idling vehicles in 1991 creating a multi million dollar emission testing program.

I was here for the tail end of the vehicle emissions testing in 2008/09/10. Just stupid. I had to pay $100 for someone to look at my dashboard to confirm there was no check engine light, and pass an OBDII scan. With the one allowed error I could have been running hollowed out catalyst chambers on my 2004 LS1, passed visual (if they had opened the hood) and passed the OBDII ping.

EFI technology advances on vehicles fixed the CO problem so the local bureaucrats took on PM 2.5 to save their jobs. Now all the former vehicle inspectors are wood stove cops.

The funny thing is that the air is cleaner now then it ever was growing up. There are a few neighborhoods that are worse but overall most areas don't have any issues at all. Of course all the government air quality testers were located at the worst possible areas to make it look worse in order to obtain more and more funding.

Most residents are against the programs and we have voted down numerous regulations through citizens initiatives.
http://old.co.fairbanks.ak.us/airquality/AQNearRealTime.aspx

I have only been here since 2008. I know once it is cold enough for an inversion to set up our little micro airshed stops carrying pollutants away. If we all heat with oil or propane, no wood or coal, and all ride public buses only back and forth to work ( no personal vehicles) a long enough inversion event will still get us to unhealthy air.

One thing that bugs me is there is no incentive in the local ordinance for woodburners to upgrade. I suggested to the assembly in open comment that pre-EPA stoves should be shut down during stage I, only EPA stoves rated 2.5g/hr or less should be allowed to operate during stage II and only EPA stoves rated 1.5 or 1.25 g/hr and less should be legal to operate during stage III events. Instead, my 1.2g/hr stove is treated the same as the smoke dragon I inherited from my grandfather. Stupid.

I honestly do not feel the EPA or the borough assembly is really interested in clean air. If they really wanted me to have clean air year round they would have shut down those last 20-30 billowing smokestacks in 2014 and have 2 years of good data that would show, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that forest fires near town need to be managed better.

So say that 1 stove won't violate emmisions, maybe 10 stoves won't. What recourse would a person have that has to live next to that? I supposed they could complain but if your not exceeding emmisions what could be done? Everyone says this type of thing should be handled on the local level. So why wasn't it done.

The Fairbanks ordinance is complaint driven. My neighborhood, finally, is clean. We had three OWBs within a quarter mile of me (I live about 200 meters from Wood River Elementary), that finally got shut down I guess three years ago. Of the nine houses on my street you can easily figure out which seven have supplemental solid fuel burning appliances, and the pellet stacks are easy to pick out, good luck figuring out who is the coal burner on my street, the dude is a skilled operator.

If you are smoking out my neighborhood, I will ring your doorbell with a truckload of dry wood parked at your curb. If you are a Richard, I will call the mayor and make a complaint.

To claim that smoke trapped under an inversion has no effect is just wrong. Maybe if people wouldn't violate burn bans they wouldn't have any violations? And it's not the EPA running around sniffing tail pipes and ticketing wood burners. They a set a standard and it's up to the states/counties to comply. If they choose to go after wood burners rather than a coal plant, then that's a local issue.

Two reasons burn bans are "often" ignored.

1. We have had two relatively mild winters since the ordinance passed, so fewer days of Stage II and stage III burn bans. There has not been a stage III situation at my house that has lasted longer than the wood loaded in my BK since the ordinance passed. During a stage III ban I can't legally put more wood into my stove, but I can burn the wood that is already in there.

2. We don't have a concensus that burn bans will make any difference. It is possible to talk people into small changes that will make a big difference in their lives, but trying to talk people into big changes that will make a small difference in their lives is a fool's errand.

VB, to say it's a non-existent issue contradicts a lot of what you later said about how much about the science about global climate remains unknown. IMO we're better to continue to try to limit green house gas emissions because we cannot wait to see if the theory of climate change turns out to be largely correct. In the meantime we will get cleaner air, water etc. I'm sure there will be waste and ridiculous programs along the way and someone will put some money in their pocket, same old same.

Man-made global warming does not exist. Despite what people getting grants, levying taxes, and "reporting the news" are telling us. There is a natural climate cycle - some decades it warms and some decades it cools. The true evidence (not models) of history shows this to be true long before we hit the industrial age. In fact, the evidence of history shows that what I wrote about in my first post is absolutely true......... our climate is an elastic system of counterbalances. The idea that CO2, generally accepted to be .05% of the atmosphere, is pollution is absurd in the extreme, but since hydrocarbon consumption creates CO2 as a reaction by-product it was the easiest to demonize to levy more taxes and control by government. They have already taxed the crap out of the fuel - now they are going after the reaction product of the fuel with more taxes.

I agree to an extent with the rest of your post. I want cleaner air and water for my children so I am back to the second set of thoughts I posted - where do we get the bigger bang for the buck? Do we dedicate billions in wealth to very minimal (even questionable) gains here or can we spend that elsewhere in the world to make the huge gains the West made in the 70's and 80's? There are coal factories in Asia that are still belching all kinds of bad stuff into the air - things that we have not done since the last 70's - early 80's! That is my main point because I mostly see taxes, carbon credits (passed on to us by manufacturers), and lots of government regulation and red tape and nobody wants to talk about what I just said.......... if it is a problem for the planet and we are all in it together why does my idea not make sense? I believe our air and water is much cleaner today than when I was a child. I see the evidence through my own life experiences as well as the data. I also know firsthand how dirty and filthy it is elsewhere in the world and that eventually makes its way here.

The United States is a wealthy nation. Europe, Canada, Australia, and other Western nations possess great wealth. We are so wealthy that we can afford to spend great sums of money on taking care of the environment. I am okay with that, but I believe we can do it better and more effectively if we use logic, common sense, and truthfully identify the problems. However, that is not the way the world works according to the same people who told us for many months that another Clinton would occupy the White House. The claims of pending disaster by hypocrites have only been used to enrich themselves and gain power. Why else would the high priests of the movement fly Lear jets to their annual gatherings? Gore made over 100 million on his "environmental advocacy." A group of the elite in Chicago were all set up to create a "carbon trading bank" where credits could be bought and sold - there is a nice money maker! Our politicians give huge sums of money to "green donors" like Solyndra (which was an epic disaster of crony capitalism), and the beat goes on.

The models are crap. That is a proven fact...... just look for yourself at the old models and predictions made in the 90's for the early 2000's. It's a farce and it makes a mockery out of something I love very much - science. It is not science for the sake of learning - it has become some kind of religion and it is crammed down our throats continuously. I have always had an interest in climate/nature - it has been somewhat of a hobby. I love the outdoors and the beauty of nature. I sampled water for an advocacy group in college and grad school in a polluted river in one of the 8 biospheres in the world (GSM park) in the home state of Gore. I saw the pollution with my own eyes from a paper plant, yet Gore never mentioned the destruction in his home state of one of the finest natural areas in the world? Why? Why would he not scream to the top of his lungs about this? Because they were one of his largest campaign donors......... same as the other politicians in the area - follow the money. They donated to his father before him. I know all of this first-hand, but you can read about it in Newsweek from 1997 - they finally wrote this years after I was aware of the issue.

http://www.newsweek.com/gores-pollution-problem-171130

I realized as a young man that it was more about the money than research and real solutions. Now they are playing the same game thousands of time bigger with anthropogenic global warming. I have done carbon core sampling (interesting, but not all that reliable). I have read with great interest the viewpoints of both sides and I try to be as objective, yet I find most of the overwhelming evidence disproves their theories. I was a subscriber to the idea in the beginning - "because we all want clean air and water", yet all the statements of fact regarding the future that I heard and read did not come true. Over time, I became skeptical because the models and their science are wrong. They have been wrong since Gore was a skinny man who flew commercial. They keep beating the same worn out drums and we keep giving them money. They may not realize it (I have friends among them), but they have become carnival monkeys playing the same song over and over and the money continues to flow. I went back to what I wanted (and still want) in the first place...... clean air and clean water.

They don't want that............ they want to control you and tax you. Again, as I said above and not one person has commented or challenged it - if it were about clean air and clean water on our planet we would be spending the money to help the developing world reap the huge gains we made decades ago in environmental quality, but that would not enrich and empower our politicians, their friends, and U.S. academia. The U.N. is trying to milk the movement and control the spending, but that would not be any more effective than what we are doing now. However, it is indisputable to me that cleaning up a coal stack in Laos would improve air quality far more than imposing a tighter restriction on the already clean stack in "your town here" to remove a trace amount that is far less of "compound Y" than occurs naturally. That is the point we are at. Research it for yourself.

I am pretty confident in my handle on the science and politics, but it is hard to have a friendly and honest discussion about it because people are so stuck in thepolitics. I don't want dirty air. I don't want dirty water. I want the truth CO2 is not a pollutant, yet they have convinced many people that it is. It is a naturally occurring gas that is vital to life on our planet. It was here before we were and it will be here after we are gone. It is released and absorbed by nature in macro-systems and micro-systems. The earth responds (and thrives) in the same elastic fashion it always has and it does not matter if I drive a Prius or a Landcruiser.

Measurable temperatures fluctuate because of the big ball of fire in our solar system - not because of a trace gas of .05% in our atmosphere. Everything else people have brought up is insignificant next to the sun. The earth responds and life continues. I would urge everyone to do their own research. To the topic of the thread - I sympathize with folks who suck up wood smoke in a town during an inversion, but I don't live in a town and my chimney is not impacting any neighbors I have, yet there are many of the same people who tell us what the models predict 100 years from now who will come after my woodstove if we let them. Yet, they completely ignore the wildfires that have largely been made much worse (than all the woodstoves in America) from their "I know better than you" policies on forests management and opposition to the timber industry. The same people who want wind turbines poking out of the ground that kill hundreds (if not thousands) of the very birds they banned the most effective pesticide in history for - leading to possibly hundreds of thousands of deaths from malaria in the developing world.

Just things folks might want to consider and decide for themselves.

Reactions: drz1050 and bcrtops
Interesting information about Fairbanks. The problem with government solutions is they only have a hammer to fix a problem that would only respond to a scalpel. Inevitably, instead of addressing the folks causing the problem they give everyone the hammer..........

Reactions: Poindexter
This bears repeating and I am chagrined I didn't mention it on page two. In milder weather, no inversion layer, no AQ issues. Last winter, 2015/16, we never made it down to -30dF and never had, that I recall, a stage III event.

I live on the very western edge of the rectangle of death. Local to me inversion layers set up around -30dF and clear off around -29dF. I am not going to argue with anyone else's impressions or numbers, I think we all agree we don't have an AQ problem at -10dF or -15dF...

I was here for the tail end of the vehicle emissions testing in 2008/09/10. Just stupid. I had to pay $100 for someone to look at my dashboard to confirm there was no check engine light, and pass an OBDII scan. With the one allowed error I could have been running hollowed out catalyst chambers on my 2004 LS1, passed visual (if they had opened the hood) and passed the OBDII ping.

I have only been here since 2008. I know once it is cold enough for an inversion to set up our little micro airshed stops carrying pollutants away. If we all heat with oil or propane, no wood or coal, and all ride public buses only back and forth to work ( no personal vehicles) a long enough inversion event will still get us to unhealthy air.

One thing that bugs me is there is no incentive in the local ordinance for woodburners to upgrade. I suggested to the assembly in open comment that pre-EPA stoves should be shut down during stage I, only EPA stoves rated 2.5g/hr or less should be allowed to operate during stage II and only EPA stoves rated 1.5 or 1.25 g/hr and less should be legal to operate during stage III events. Instead, my 1.2g/hr stove is treated the same as the smoke dragon I inherited from my grandfather. Stupid.

I honestly do not feel the EPA or the borough assembly is really interested in clean air. If they really wanted me to have clean air year round they would have shut down those last 20-30 billowing smokestacks in 2014 and have 2 years of good data that would show, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that forest fires near town need to be managed better.

How do you manage a forest fire?

You put it out when it starts instead of watching it burn.

You put it out when it starts instead of watching it burn.
Much easier said than done, especially in wilderness areas. Wildfires spread very quickly under the right conditions and when lightning caused it may not be spotted for hours.

They can proactively manage the forest before the fire, but when there are large die-offs like we are seeing from pine beetles, this becomes a sisyphean task with little funding after emergency fire fighting eats up the budget.

In Alaska the fire service makes most of their money watching fires burn with no attempt or intentions of putting them out.

Yes, I was speaking for WA though AK has even more wilderness. Fortunately this year we dodged the bullet but last year was very bad.
Seems like the AK forest service has to answer to multiple demands and is low on funds. The squeaky wheel generally is the one that gets the attention. Right now that looks to be the Kenai peninsula.
http://www.alaskapublic.org/2016/04...es-little-room-for-prevention-other-programs/

sisyphean
Wow. I get the reference but didn't know that was a word.
I agree with the sentiment BTW. We had some strange weather in our area this year -- very wet for a while then very dry. It got me thinking a lot about adding some fire resistance to our cedar and asphalt shingle covered house.

I don't buy the idea that better burning practices alone will take care of the problem. Most pre-EPA stoves running at their best still emit far more than a properly running modern stove.
Also, probably the most common post on this site relates to poor performance in modern stoves due to "wet" wood. Folks get educated on fuel quality and end up burning efficiently and cleanly. Had those people bought non-EPA stoves they'd just toss in wet wood and crank open the air control and never know the difference.
Just as with cars, mandated emission controls for new products work to the benefit of all.
Don't forget also the amount of emissions generated by cutting and hauling all the extra fuel needed to feed an inefficient stove.

How do you manage a forest fire?

Active management does wonders. If your forest isn't chock full of dead standing trees and dead underbrush, that greatly limits the fuel available for the fires.

Fires are also not always bad things for forests. Another good way to avoid the huge fires is to let the small ones burn, don't put them out. Trying to kill every fire when it first pops up is a recipe for disaster down the road.

In Alaska the fire service makes most of their money watching fires burn with no attempt or intentions of putting them out.

There is no special fire fund. Any money expended has to be taken out of somewhere else in the budget. And fire is a natural phenomenon that most forests developed under. So if theres no threat to human life its sometimes best to let it burn rather than spend millions trying to put it out. Frankly they got to good at putting everything out and the condition of some forests reflect that. And theres absolutely no correlation between letting a fire burn and poor winter time air quality. And a previous poster mentioned man made global warming. I too disagree with that concept. But to say we aren't contributing and possibly expediting the process is putting your head in the sand. As do the millions spent studying it...wouldnt it be great if we could all agree to clean up the air and water without having to prove with imperical evidence that it needs to be done? But there are folks out there who believe that any restriction is wrong if a govt organization suggests it. But as you mentioned in your previous post, it's only 11 or so days a year that exceed. So both sides are saying its only 11 days what's the big deal. Just one wants to burn and the other doesn't.

The same government that is issuing burn bans in the winter for our health when it takes machines to even detect the invisible pollution makes the decision to not suppress forest fires in the summer that result in air that looks like this for months at a time.
312f478e06b11878e732619f2120835c.jpg

I would think that the more you put out forest fires, the harder it gets to put out forest fires.

Maybe they should have some kind of volunteer effort where they recruit ordinary citizens to go into the woods to look for flammables and haul them back to their houses, if they find any... (I am already volunteering in my local area... And it seems like every time I go in the woods I find some flammables that need to be hauled back to the house!)

The same government that is issuing burn bans in the winter for our health when it takes machines to even detect the invisible pollution makes the decision to not suppress forest fires in the summer that result in air that looks like this for months at a time.
View attachment 191515
I would think that the more you put out forest fires, the harder it gets to put out forest fires.

Maybe they should have some kind of volunteer effort where they recruit ordinary citizens to go into the woods to look for flammables and haul them back to their houses, if they find any... (I am already volunteering in my local area... And it seems like every time I go in the woods I find some flammables that need to be hauled back to the house!)
Yes, that same government. Fires are going to burn, its natural. But I'm sure if you can figure out a way to put them out, maintain a healthy forest, clean the air, and save a few million they'd be all ears. And yes pretty much anyone can go in the woods and haul out flammables. All you got to do is get a wood permit and go get it. Putting fires out results in a lot of young under growth that's not good for timber or firewood. Then it burns and takes the good trees with it. If conditions are right to get good mortality on young trees and under growth they are going to let it burn.

Over in the UK there is a concerted effort to demonise wood burning, whether burning wet or dry, good or bad. In the UK most areas are designated smokeless zones, mainly due to the killer smogs of the 1950's so there are no OWB types in most areas as you can only buy a modern stove which is DEFRA (our version of the EPA for this) approved. On top of this I reckon most UK burners are occasional burners rather than dependent (I know at least one but thats it) on wood, as natural gas is quite prevalent (thanks to the north sea and Margaret Thatcher)

However reading the Times yesterday I picked up on a brief article by Paul Simons. In it he quotes such things as "even though a minority of UK households use wood fires (7.5% of the population) the pollution from these is estimated to be more than double that from all the UK diesel cars, buses and trucks".

He also states several "studies" and "reports" which show that; "Even a single wood burner emits more PM2.5 particles than 1000 petrol cars every year".

I don't even know where to start with how far out I think these claims are, but they sit in a respected national newspaper. When you combine this with the recent articles on the BBC about Woodburners causing cancer and other articles in other newspapers giving similar claims it does kind of give a bit of truth to the phrase attributed to Goebbels; "if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth". There is also a move over here to insist that if something is labelled a study, then it is genuine, regardless of who sits behind it or how many time is uses the word "estimate".

I have said before, I use approximately 6 gallons of diesel per week going to/from work and visiting several sites as required. My wife uses about 3 gallons of petrol per week doing the various tasks and shifts she does. That equates to about 280 gallons burnt per year for me alone, but that is not the focus of the issue, it is my occasional burning of 18 month CSS pine that is the cause of the air quality issues.

In summary, it does not even matter if you have followed all the regulations and spent the money to do so, you are still a problem if you burn wood. It is not difficult to think that if energy prices go up, 7.5% of the potential income base (and rising) will be able to avoid filling the pockets of the "big 6".

But then i think that might be a bit too close to "tinfoil hat" territory.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
The only thing that changed is that the EPA lowered the bar on PM 2.5 twice. Once in 2006 and again in 2012. In 2005 it was not even an issue that was being looked at. Notice the summertime levels from forest fires.

You're correct they've lowered the PM2.5 standard. This following scheduled reviews and based on newer studies (not conducted by the EPA) showing an association between respiratory and cardiac disease at the new levels. At the same time they revoked the standard for annual PM10 (coarse particulate) due to a lack evidence associating disease and exposure to PM10.

Not going to question you guys that are living there who may know better if the data collection is questionable or any nonsense going on with local politics but the blue graph you provided (good find) clearly shows a predictable increase in PM2.5 occurring during the heating season. And except for 2009, the effect of what I assume is from forest fires, the increase in summer PM2.5 is pretty transient.

There are no bad air days when there is no temperature inversion.

Lastly and I'm sure you know this, it's not simply a matter of how many days exceed the daily recommended standard it's also the total annual burden. So having PM2.5 levels at or just below the standard for several weeks on end (which is happening at the data collection site) is harmful.

The EPA is in a no win situation. And when its workers pulls stupid stunts like the Gold King Mine incident in Colorado last year, their already difficult job becomes extremely worse.

Most folks don't want government intervention... until they need help with an issue that affects them directly. Case in point:

We were snowshoe hiking in a low lying area the other day up near Leadville Colorado. Peaceful, quiet, beautiful. Along comes a guided tour of about 20 snowmobiles... smoking, stinking snowmobiles. The air quality went from perfect to horrible. So I wondered why all the emission controls on cars and trucks, but none on OHV's?
Your correct that they messed up when try to tap a tail pond. They wouldn't even have been there if the miners had cleaned up their mess. And if the counties wouldn't have fought the superfund designation they would have had the funding to do it right. Instead they were left putting a bandaid on a severed limb. Funny the counties signed on to the superfund designation afterwards. But everyone wants to point the finger at EPA.

Reactions: vinny11950
Status
Not open for further replies.