EPA should ban unseasoned wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually have put some thought into this because it is a local problem as well. Going door to door could be hazardous to one's health, but I have thought about writing a series of articles. The question is whether some of these folks read a paper. Seriously.

For over a hundred years it's been the same thing; immigration reform, balance the budget, education reform, job creation, and something concerning the
future of our weather patterns. Maybe the GOP could add "educating wood burners" this election cycle. :blank:

First offense you have to spend twenty hours reading hearth.com posts. Second offense you are sentenced to reading all of me and Backwood Savage's posts.

stoveguy2esw said:
BrotherBart said:
First offense you have to spend twenty hours reading hearth.com posts. Second offense you are sentenced to reading all of me and Backwood Savage's posts.

third (and i'd bet last) offense is to have to translate all POOK's posts

I'm pretty sure that would be against the Geneva Convention or would at the very least be ruled cruel and unusual punishment. ;)

Not sure it should be a government thing? I mostly went there because the OP brought up the EPA. I'm lead to believe that with the proper organization and distribution the information could be given and change some people's thoughts on what exactly they could use for fuel in wood stoves. The other thing BG and I have here is the Puget Sound Clean air agency. This is the agency that enforces the burn ban when there is stagnant air. We have different levels of burn ban and it is my belief that they would like to see wood burning go to the wayside as a source of heat. We have so many trees and so much wood here that if handled correctly it is a very good alternate or primary source of heat. The big problem is people do not know or do not want to go to the trouble of C/S/S firewood properly to achieve truly seasoned wood. Our local agency is running a program to subsidise the purchase of new heating appliances that use fuels other than wood if the person gets rid of their non-certified wood burning stove. I could see offering a subsidy program for replacing non EPA stoves with EPA approved units, but they are going the other way. I think this is due to the political and cultural view point of the local population and government. I do not want to get into a pissin match about politics or who goes where but I don't understand the "protect you from yourself" and "do what we tell you to" way of governing. :blank:

BeGreen said:
Seattle Steam is now burning wood chips. I wonder who they buy from and whether there is a collection point for them?

PS: That smokey run wasn't Sedro Wooley, but close. It was on the highway between Darrington and Rockport. I saw a fair share of them in Concrete too.

They buy from multiple suppliers actually and the sources of wood are varied.

I agree. Educate people on the right way to do it. Gov't on a massive scale gets in the way. Things operated pretty well for the first 125 years in the USA where the localities had more control and people were engaged.

If we want change, I think the best place to start is at the community level. We can't afford a K street lobbyist.

No lobbyist needed. I bet if we did a small budget video, to replace the one on the PSCA website, I guess I don't like the fact they pulled something from some where else. The other thing would be to write an article as you suggested BG. The info could be up to date with example photos and clearly written instructions on "how to" do the stuff correctly. It may be a situation where there could be volunteers to go and show first hand what to do with all this firewood. BG if you want to take on this beast for the PNW I'll help you. The amount of work firewood takes is huge and some people just can't be bothered. At the very least we could convince some to purchase a year ahead of time; that goes into another thread about the swindling firewood dealers and what a true cord is.... :gulp:

Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:
Since wood moisture meters are calibrated on dry basis what you think is 20 percent wood would be legal for a seller to call 33% wood.

You made me come out of pellet heaven just to give you a math lesson? 20% wet-basis = 25% dry-basis, not 33%. Bigga difference.

And now ol' BK tosses another bag of 5% MC wood fiber into the hopper. :cheese:
Missed you BK, glad you are keeping warm. As for the topic of this thread. All I can say is that I am glad I live in a free country where I have some say in the process.

bjkjoseph said:
if they got there wish..the people who want no government would be the first to be eaten...grow up kids.

Well then, perhaps they should be eaten, and therfore decrease the surplus population....

I heard horse meat gets better as the animal gets older. This could be relevant as the baby boomers approach retirement.

I used to be a hard core libertarian, and a true believer that the less govt the better and personal responsibility. I still believe in personal responsibility, however life experience has sadly proven that deregulation often backfires.

The great flaw in the theory is a mistaken understanding of human nature. See, as much as we want to think we are not, humans are still hardwired by instinct to make choices that promote short term personal survival even when such choices harm long term survival of the general population or even of themselves. Read the theory of "the tragedy of the commons" to get a better idea of what this means.

The result of this is that for every one person out there who might do the right thing and burn clean, I fear there are 3 or 4 who will happily take the lazy way out and burn tires in their yard, dump used motor oil down the storm drain etc even though they know full well its not in anyone's best interest long term. Rules exist to protect us from ourselves and from anarchy.

jharkin said:
I used to be a hard core libertarian, and a true believer that the less govt the better and personal responsibility. I still believe in personal responsibility, however life experience has sadly proven that deregulation often backfires.

The great flaw in the theory is a mistaken understanding of human nature. See, as much as we want to think we are not, humans are still hardwired by instinct to make choices that promote short term personal survival even when such choices harm long term survival of the general population or even of themselves. Read the theory of "the tragedy of the commons" to get a better idea of what this means.

The result of this is that for every one person out there who might do the right thing and burn clean, I fear there are 3 or 4 who will happily take the lazy way out and burn tires in their yard, dump used motor oil down the storm drain etc even though they know full well its not in anyone's best interest long term. Rules exist to protect us from ourselves and from anarchy.
That is true, however, government, those making the rules, is made up of humans as well.

tfdchief said:
That is true, however, government, those making the rules, is made up of humans as well.

No argument there. We are stuck in a catch-22 .....

Status
Not open for further replies.