Epic wood chopper from hell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edthedawg

Minister of Fire
Let's see it do that with elm! <G>

What was he cutting? Eucalyptus? Judging from the fact that he had the head on an excavator, I would say he was somewhere not in the US. Pretty common application in South America.

That thing is pretty cool.

I like managing my woodlot the old-fashioned way. Sweat and fresh air.

Cuz I hate treadmills.

That processor/dangle head actually isn't designed to debark. Delimb yes. The bark is coming off because it's "peeling season". He is running it back and forth to get the bark off before sawing because the loose bark will throw a chain. We had one similiar to this years ago.You can lay down some timber fast. This type of harvestor is pretty common in the US.

Yes, harvesters are common in the US, but not debarking heads. There are a few companies out there that make processing heads designed to debark the trees. The company I work for produces harvesters and processing heads (along with a wide variety of other logging equipment) so I get to see a fair amount of this type of stuff. The rollers on the head look like the debarking rollers that I've seen before. I'm not saying that you are wrong about the peeling season, I'm just stating what I've seen in the past. This certainly doesn't look like any timber that we have in my neck of the woods! It really looks like eucalyptus to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.