Equinox with 6" flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibility of owning an equinox...cheap. I know it works on an 8" flue. My current set up is 6" from my lopi liberty.

Can this work? (given the obvious I can make/find the 8 to 6" adjustment?)

Will I have a more powerful stove?

House is 5 years old...well insulated etc etc

I would suspect if they could get it to work well on a 6" flue it would've been made with one. You wouldn't want to make a product that requires a more costly chimney if you didn't have to, it also limits their ability to sell to people who currently have a 6" flue like you.

I would think smoke spillage will be the biggest risk but I'm sure someone here has tried it or is doing it. If the chimney is tall and draws well it may perform as well as an 8" 15' chimney. I would also think the insurance company could reject a claim if something ever happened due to it not being installed with the manufactures recommend chimney.

I've wondered about this ever since the Equinox came out. The fire box is not 4 cu ft, more like 3.2 and there are many 3 cu ft stoves out there that vent 6". If you have a tall chimney I'd say you may be fine but I haven't heard of anyone trying this yet.

Todd said:
I've wondered about this ever since the Equinox came out. The fire box is not 4 cu ft, more like 3.2 and there are many 3 cu ft stoves out there that vent 6". If you have a tall chimney I'd say you may be fine but I haven't heard of anyone trying this yet.

If this was me, I'd give it a shot. I know Hearthstone stoves tend to throw a bunch of heat up the chimney, and I wonder if the 6" liner would work to reduce that. Also, you are correct with the firebox. It is well under 4 cu ft and closer to the Defiant's firebox. The Defiant can run on either a 6" or 8" liner. The 6" liner limits you from using the fireplace screen on the stove... which is fine for me (I have four of those damn things now).

jj3500 said:
Possibility of owning an equinox...cheap. I know it works on an 8" flue. My current set up is 6" from my lopi liberty.

Can this work? (given the obvious I can make/find the 8 to 6" adjustment?)

Will I have a more powerful stove?

House is 5 years old...well insulated etc etc

As I mentioned with Tood, I'd give it a shot. But, keep in mind, you aren't going to gain much when you compare the Equinox to the Liberty. The liberty has a 3.1 cu ft firebox. The Equinox isn't much larger in terms of how much more wood you can fit in the stove.

If the Liberty isn't meeting your needs, the Equinox probably isn't going to make a massive difference.

If the Liberty isn’t meeting your needs, the Equinox probably isn’t going to make a massive difference.

However, moving an Equinox in to try this out would be a massive task, literally. That is a very heavy stove.

Describe the complete flue system, elbows and all for the Liberty. If you got the Equinox, what would be the reason, aesthetics, longer burntime, more mass for more even heat?

BeGreen said:
If the Liberty isn’t meeting your needs, the Equinox probably isn’t going to make a massive difference.

However, moving an Equinox in to try this out would be a massive task, literally. That is a very heavy stove.

It hurts just looking at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.