Esp Probe and ignitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
My 4 year old XXV just started not wanting to ignite easily. It was overfilling the pot. Today was
the first time I had to really clean the stove (this year) and make sure the ignitor area under the pot was clean. I have only put through about half a ton so far. It was not bad. I did a thorough cleaning and it still did not want to light.....but I am second guessing my self on this next part.....

When cleaning out the XXV, shouldn't I be able to actuall see the ESP prob in the exhaust from the front of the stove with the door open and the pan out? I could swear I could before and now I do not????
I definately did not hit it, because I was looking for it before I ran a brush in the port area of the exhaust. Can it fall off? Disinegrate? And if so could this cause the ignitor to not fire? It was getting warm (the ignitor). I just used a torch to get it going for now.....thoughts?

My 4 year old XXV just started not wanting to ignite easily. It was overfilling the pot. Today was
the first time I had to really clean the stove (this year) and make sure the ignitor area under the pot was clean. I have only put through about half a ton so far. It was not bad. I did a thorough cleaning and it still did not want to light.....but I am second guessing my self on this next part.....

When cleaning out the XXV, shouldn't I be able to actuall see the ESP prob in the exhaust from the front of the stove with the door open and the pan out? I could swear I could before and now I do not????
I definately did not hit it, because I was looking for it before I ran a brush in the port area of the exhaust. Can it fall off? Disinegrate? And if so could this cause the ignitor to not fire? It was getting warm (the ignitor). I just used a torch to get it going for now.....thoughts?
I don't think you can see the ESP from the front on the XXV. You definitely can if you take the left side panel off and pop out the combustion blower. It will be right there in the exhaust path.

For the start issue ensure the holes in the burn pot are open. Also open the panel to access the igniter and give the compartment a cleaning including the ignitor. check the air passages ore unobstructed. use a flashlight to see if light goes through the burn pot holes.If you still have slow/no starts I would suspect the ignitor first.

Jim I don't know about the XXV but in my accentra I can see the esp in the exhaust . Is the stove working?? I'm no expert but I don't think that the stove would work with out the esp. I'm sure one of our resident techs will show up soon to help out.

The holes are clear, and I have the stove on a thermostat (for off and on), other then not seeing the ESP and not igniting correctly, it is working fine. I turned the temp down on the stove and it works fine.....so will have to invest in thermostat ignitor for sure I would think. Don't know if it will be till the end of the burning season though....do not want to pull away from wall because of the exhaust.

(had to rewrite! LOL)

Glad to hear it's working. Just a thought being a 4 yr old stove maybe ignitor is going?

Glad I have small torch, makes lighting a snap until I replace the ignitor. Any verification on whether or not you can see your ESP
from the front of the stove with the pan out????

I can see my ESP from inside the stove with the exhaust cover off. I would guess the XXV would be the same.

You cannot see the ESP probe from the front. Remove the left rear panel and it is protruding from the combustion housing. You can if you want to clean it either remove the set screw and slide it out or remove the comb motor and Clem the inside of that as well at the same time.

You cannot see the ESP probe from the front. Remove the left rear panel and it is protruding from the combustion housing. You can if you want to clean it either remove the set screw and slide it out or remove the comb motor and Clem the inside of that as well at the same time.
Sounds like something someone else said in post# 2......

Thanks all.....will look into new ignitor.......I could swear I remember seeing the esp from the front....oh well....getting older! LOL

Thanks all.....will look into new ignitor.......I could swear I remember seeing the esp from the front....oh well....getting older! LOL

Lol. Know what you mean about getting older! I prefer to support my local dealers but if yours is not close by, there are a few good online sites reasonably priced. The ignitor will run you about $100.

Glad we could help out.

Hey, just got back from church and the fire was lit! LOL Funny, did not want to light after the cleaning yesterday morning but started up sometime before we got home....had it programed for 11:30 to go on. The pan was not filled with unburnt pellets either.....it's a miracle! yay! Will still have to get an ignitor for standby I would imagine. Take care all.......

Reactions: mepellet
Hey, just got back from church and the fire was lit! LOL Funny, did not want to light after the cleaning yesterday morning but started up sometime before we got home....had it programed for 11:30 to go on. The pan was not filled with unburnt pellets either.....it's a miracle! yay! Will still have to get an ignitor for standby I would imagine. Take care all.......

Be honest,;) when you were at church you were praying for a stove miracle;lol Can I get an Amen! Glad all is well.

Reactions: mepellet
Funny, now that I have been talking about an ignitor the thing ignites within 3 1/2 minutes today. I got home from work about 3:30 and when I went inside it was 3:33 on my stove thermostat and I was seeing sparks and ignition! LOL Now maybe I should talk about a windfall of money or pellets or something and see if that happens now! HAHAHA

Reactions: will711
Funny, now that I have been talking about an ignitor the thing ignites within 3 1/2 minutes today. I got home from work about 3:30 and when I went inside it was 3:33 on my stove thermostat and I was seeing sparks and ignition! LOL Now maybe I should talk about a windfall of money or pellets or something and see if that happens now! HAHAHA

Go Figure:cool: got any thoughts on Power Ball numbers;)

if the esp is damaged or missing the stove will not run, PERIOD. use a meter and check the resistance of the igniter. They do not last forever.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.