Esse Ironheart Woodstove Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. E

Dec 14, 2012
we recently installed an Esse Ironheart Woodstove and are having some serious problems with it

it drips huge amounts of creosote out the bottom onto the hearth below the stove side

it puts out little heat

it consumes huge amounts of wood in a day

what are we doing wrong or is this stove defective

we also can't figure out what all the knobs and levers on the front
or the stove are actually for..

deos anyone have any suggestions or answers?

thanks

John..

Whoa....Lucy...u gotz sum 'splaining to do. First off...stop doing what you are doing. You are creating a dangerous situation. Second, lets figure out a few thing.

Explain in detail your fuel supply. How long has it been cut/split/stacked and if you know - species you are burning. You will also be barraged about getting a moisture meter. $20 bucks well spent in my opinion.

Second - do you have a thermo on this thing. At this point I would highly suggest one. We need to know what kind of temp you are at.

Find and read your manual. It will explain the knobs and levers as they are VERY important in adjusting your stove for a proper burn.

Please stop burning until you get the stack inspected and/or cleaned. You really are at a dangerous turning point.

And welcome to the forum. We can help so stick with us.

Definitely do not operate the stove without first understanding how to operate the stove. It sounds like you may be running it in bypass mode all the time, but this is hard to tell via one posting. We have some Esse owners here. I would start a conversation with charly for additional help. Can you post some pictures of the installation so that we can see if there are other issues?

Get the stove pipes + interior cleaned of creosote before proceeding. How tall is the flue system on the stove? Also, who installed the stove?

I think there would be several folks interested in taking it off your hands.

Immediately stop what your doing. Go to the wall and set the themostat. Call someone you trust about woodstoves to come over and check out your situation and maybe get some dual time running your stove.

we recently installed an Esse Ironheart Woodstove and are having some serious problems with it

it drips huge amounts of creosote out the bottom onto the hearth below the stove side

it puts out little heat

thanks

John..
Welcome to the Hearth John,... I own an Esse and will be glad to help you out.. Easiest thing I will send you a personal email , then you can call me.. too much to tell you on here. I can tell you where the creosote is coming from,,, there is a removable panel underneath the the left heat shield.. That panel gets removed in order to install a hot water reservoir. You can check the nuts to see if they are snug,, you might have to remove the panel and reseal it if it continues to drip,,, sounds like you are burning all wrong . I'll be glad to walk you through getting the stove going . I sent you a personal email,,, call me .....Charlie

No heat, creosote dripping,,,, I'm betting green wood....with all the cast iron and steel in the Esse, she'll never heat up with green wood,, all that cold iron will just keep a good draft from happening. The smoke path goes right past the big heavy cast iron griddle on top... plus the fire box top is all steel except for a 5-6 inch hole in the top. Maybe there are chimney issues as well.. That's a shame that they were never told how to run the stove .

Thanks for checking in charly. It's not uncommon for first time users of a wood stove to think the stove isn't working right. Hopefully they will check back in again soon and we can get them on the right course.

Thanks for checking in charly. It's not uncommon for first time users of a wood stove to think the stove isn't working right. Hopefully they will check back in again soon and we can get them on the right course.
I'm always glad to help someone out.. ;) The Hearth has been a really nice place with great people.....it's addictive if your a wood burner;lol

Reactions: pen
This is Woody from Obadiah's Woodstove's, please call me as soon as is possible so I can help you. 1800 968 8604 If your not happy with this stove and you bought it from me we need to talk, even if you didn't I'm still here to help you.
You came to the right place for help, there are some folks here with Ironheart's and they know how well they work and how to help you, but your always welcome to call me and ask questions. We all start somewhere and there is a learning curve, if you need tech info on the stove, let me know and I am happy to provide it.
I have posted some info I hope will be helpful. The first one is on firewood and how to store it, age it, before you burn it, as well as some tricks to know if your wood is ready to burn.
http://www.youtube.com/user/WoodyChain/videos?query=firewood

Next is my experiences with an Ironheart that had been over fired and why that experience really sold me on this stove.
I was able to put together a series of You Tubes that deal with just about any issue you may have with your Esse Ironheart. I show you everything from how the stove works, how to change gaskets, adjust you hinges and latches, add a hot water boiler, or domestic hot water system and show you how the stove burn with the grates and with the extended wood box option. I am getting ready to restore the stove after leaving it out on a porch all summer, that is the next part of the IronHeart series I'm working on.
http://www.youtube.com/user/WoodyChain/videos?query=Ironheart

I hope this info is helpful.

Reactions: charly
Daa dummy me forgot to post the owners manual for the stove in case you don't have it.... which it sounds like you don't. It should have been in the ash pan if you bought the stove new.
I know your in great hands with Charley, he has taught me a few things about the Ironheart too.
Just in case you need it,
https://www.discountstoves.net/Articles.asp?ID=254

Reactions: charly
Great idea posting the owners manual Woody...After talking with John about running his Esse,,, I asked where he bought the stove from, he said a dealer in Canada,, but after numerous calls no one has ever returned his calls.. so what happens? Here's a person that could have had a real mess on their hands because of dealer who's apparently not there after the sale,,,,, just the opposite of you Woody;)

it puts out little heat

thanks

John..
John,,, please keep us posted on how you make out burning the Esse.

Status
Not open for further replies.