Essential tools you've made that you can't live without

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a small shovel and welding gloves that I bought. I made a rake which was scrap 1/8 inch plate steel cut about 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. I welded that at the end of a piece of steel tube electrical conduit to rake coals forward or move wood if needed. I made a poker which is 1 inch wide aluminum strip that was laying around and bolted a long stud on it to scrape my ash grate when it gets clogged. Just some ideas that may help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 127
I can live without them, but here are 2 I made recently.
016.JPG
I bent the end of an ash shovel to make the coal rake. It works fairly well, but can be hot to handle, even with a glove. Probably make something better next summer.
I made the thing on the left to pull the ash plug out and push the ashes into the pan and it works pretty well. It's made of 1/8" rod that comes from the leftover political signs that I usually abscond with around this time of year.

Reactions: WriteNoob
Status
Not open for further replies.