estimating wood weight for trailer hauling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
my wife got me a foldable trailer from harbor freight for xmas. says it's rated for 1200lbs. 4'x8' bed. it's my first trailer.

so, the question is, is there a good way to estimate how much wood i can pile in it without exceeding capacity? i'm in the pacific northwest, and find i'm getting mostly cedar, some fir, and if i'm lucky, some hardwood every now and again.

Figure a layer about a foot to 18 inches deep would be all if you really want to stay within the 1200 pound limit.

load it and take it to a junk yard and weigh it, give you a rough idea.

bob

Im with the oldman on this. I do not think u would want much more than 2 layers on that. A cord weighs in at roughly 2-4K LBS.

The two things that will limit your load are the tires and springs. If you get a chance to install bigger tires make sure you go for it. Meanwhile check the tire pressure BEFORE you load the wood, then after you get a load take a look underneath

One thing to reminder is your vehicle is carrying some of the weight. You can transport more than 1200 lb of wood because some of that mass is on your tow vehicle's axels.

Also, when using scientific terms such as pound, you don't use a prural abbreviation. Lb is correct vs lbs.

I wonder what the OP did.

bob

This trailer is rated at 2400 lbs I believe.

It was touching the fenders with this load. Dead standing maples. 1.5 trees worth in there.

Attachments

• download_20160104_232703.jpg
    download_20160104_232703.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.