Evaporators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa220

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2012
central ME
Does anyone use the cast iron evaporators, or bowls of water, on top of their pellet stoves? I'm needing some humidity in the air!

I would hope the top is not hot enough for that to work?

Depends on your stove. If the top surface gets hot enough you might be able to get some moisture back in the air. Many of us use humidifiars to bring the moisture back to a comfy level

I use one and it does work, but there is a tradeoff. It will only work if the evaporator is directly on the stove. It won't work if it's on a trivit. As a result, I will be sanding and painting the top of my stove this summer.

I put a thermometer on the top of my stove last night. 190 to 200 range.

well, it is too hot for me place my palm on it other than for a fleeting moment.

I'd just put a sauce pan on it overnight then and try it. I've tried a small cerial bowl in the past and it evaporates but so slowly it doesn't help.

I use a cast iron tea pot for lack of better terms, it works great, 1 pot a day. There are ones looking more like a 9/13 cake pan which put more into the air.

The little bit of moisture that it will put off is trivial.

I would look into a large Wick type unit. That holds several gallons. In the dead of Winter, I am using about 5 gallons a day to keep about 40% humidity. A little pot will be only a small increase for the room it resides in.

Reactions: heat seeker
Status
Not open for further replies.