Even burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msherer

Burning Hunk
Dec 9, 2010
IL
Anyone had trouble with getting an even burn in your burn box. Seems like the front part of my stove burns really well but the back of the burn box not as well. I talked to tech support but their general response to any question has been "check your draft." I guess that could be true but was hoping someone else may have words of wisdom. Thanks.

Matt

Do you open up the air control when the fire is burning in the back of the stove?

Do you open up the air control when the fire is burning in the back of the stove?

I have opened up the air control to see if it helps but not much. I'm going to try smaller pieces of wood placed in the back to see what happens.

With a deep firebox like the 'rosa and 30-NC it is a long way for the air to travel back to the back. Makes or incomplete burns especially with E/W loads. N/S, not so much.

N/S is a more complete burn with the Alderlea too, though I usually will get a full E/W burn if I open up the air at least half way for the last hour or so.

Mine burns well at the front and "seems" to not burn as well at the back . But the reality , for me anyway , is that the wood has gasified in the back by the time the front wood has broken down to coals . It doesn't look Iike its providing heat but it's cooking down as coals.

If you primary air is in the front you will get a hotter burn on the wood closest to it . Even having reburn tubes cooking , you will not have an "even" burn I don't believe . Just my opinion based on watching how my EPA stove works vs an old airtight . I may be wrong , and sure others will chime in , but just basing this on personal observation .

Sorry for the ignorance but are you calling N/S horizontal or perpendicular to the loading door?

Matt

N/S is front to back vs E/W which is loaded left to right

Mine burns well at the front and "seems" to not burn as well at the back . But the reality , for me anyway , is that the wood has gasified in the back by the time the front wood has broken down to coals . It doesn't look Iike its providing heat but it's cooking down as coals.

If you primary air is in the front you will get a hotter burn on the wood closest to it . Even having reburn tubes cooking , you will not have an "even" burn I don't believe . Just my opinion based on watching how my EPA stove works vs an old airtight . I may be wrong , and sure others will chime in , but just basing this on personal observation .

I'm still learning my new EPA vs an old Federal Airtight as well.

I think the size of the load will also affect how even a burn you achieve. I notice when I don't want too big a fire due to warmer temperatures outside I won't get a complete burn in the back of the stove. However, when the stove is loaded up like it is for most normal burning everything burns down evenly. I'd suggest putting smaller splits in the back of the stove on the occasions when you build smaller fires and that should help getting a more even burn.

I have subpar draft and need to open up air to get back to burn after the main show.
But most of it is due to my subpar wood, I think. As a drier piece keeps going in the coal stage, while the wetter needs resuffling on top of coals half way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.