Ever fight a starter spring in a recoil starter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
OMG, I spend a couple of hours trying to install a spring in the recoil pull cord starter on my splitter. What a pita. Finally got it after working at it for quite some time. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

One of my personal favorites is the recoil spring in an old Stihl 015.......you haven't learned frustration until you've tried to replace a rope in one of those old saws...........UUUGGHHH.....

I had a fight with the feed spring in a nail gun(similar type of spring), it won, 5 stitches and a visit to the ER :mad:
Be careful, wear gloves and eye protection.

Good idea to check YT for how to vids.

taxidermist said:
Before i knew what i was doing i would always fight them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjI0l6ocD4

They are all a little different but check youtube next time for some pointers.

Rob
Mine was not as compliant as that one. I could have done that with one hand!

I've fought with them in the past too but always eventually managed to get them right. Some take a bit more patience than others. I'm due for a bad one. The two I did last summer were cake.

I've never used one and am curious, has anyone ever had any luck w/ a tool like this? http://durafix.com/ez-coil/index.html

pen

You always cuss the first one you do of a particular type and then it get's MUCH easier every time after that.

gzecc said:
taxidermist said:
Before i knew what i was doing i would always fight them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjI0l6ocD4

They are all a little different but check youtube next time for some pointers.

Rob
Mine was not as compliant as that one. I could have done that with one hand!

Yeah I know been there done that. I was just saying you can find help on youtube and used that vid as a example only.

Rob

Definetly no fun the first time or 2. I wonder how many new recoils get sold every year due to people sick and tired of fussing with them?

Bocefus78 said:
Definetly no fun the first time or 2. I wonder how many new recoils get sold every year due to people sick and tired of fussing with them?

Used to be cheaper to buy a whole new Tecumseh recoil assembly than to pay 1/2 hour labor (minimum charge), buy 3-4 ft of rope and possibly a new handle. Plus nobody wanted to mess with driving out the spring pins.

Tried it once without success. I was happy to pay a local shop to fix the problem after a losing battle. I think they only charged me for 10 or 15 minutes labor.

First time I did my stihl trimmer I had a heck of a time until I figured out the tricks. I did my 361 a while back and it was cake. That said I'd be ok with never having to deal with one again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.