Ever had to adjust a load after........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
Has anyone ever had to adjust some splits after shutting the door when there are some flames? I shut the door an thought the split on top in front would fall against the glass, so I opened her up an did what I had to do but, it sure made some wild sounds when those tiny little flames grew so fast! I had a split fall against the glass about a week ago mid burn so I left it. It took about 3 600-650 degree fires to get what was left behind on the glass, off. Jus wondering if other ppl leave them alone or what. Guess I need to start looking at the loads a little better before shutting her up.

Last year that happened when we were loading e/w but this year we load n/s so it has not been a problem yet.

zap

CodyWayne718 said:
Has anyone ever had to adjust some splits after shutting the door when there are some flames? I shut the door an thought the split on top in front would fall against the glass, so I opened her up an did what I had to do but, it sure made some wild sounds when those tiny little flames grew so fast! I had a split fall against the glass about a week ago mid burn so I left it. It took about 3 600-650 degree fires to get what was left behind on the glass, off. Jus wondering if other ppl leave them alone or what. Guess I need to start looking at the loads a little better before shutting her up.
Yes, lots of times.

That is how I keep a tan all winter.

BrotherBart said:
That is how I keep a tan all winter.

I think that's why I shut the door sometimes without realizing how that front top split is sitting. Gets hot reloading these things sometimes!!!

Cut your wood shorter and load north, south as Zap says. Problem solved forever. Holding the ends of your split while loading now makes it a much less chance of burning youself also. Another PLUS is your wood seasons faster and will be easier to split.
Cheers

Load shifting has been an education...........I try and make sure that my load is set in place in such a way as to AVOID any shifting that will drop a piece over the air duct. Other than that.......it can "shift" all it wants.

-Soupy1957

i hate when i shut the door and and dont like the way the load looks and its already blazing. i jus say now bobby calm down and just leave it. lol ive gotten myself in trouble opening the door after the load was flaming

I try and load and leave it, ut I do on occasion rearrange the large junks/coals to the center towards the end of the flame cycle.

It happens occasionally to me. I start to walk away and hear a "clank" as a split shifting and falls toward the glass. I make it a habit to get the tongs out and re-position it.

No worry for us. Let it fall; the stove is built so the splits won't fall on the glass (unless you had some really short ones placed exactly in the wrong spot but they would have to be terribly short). We don't even have a problem when we burn our short or odd shaped pieces (usually in spring and fall for these).

I occasionally have had the problem of opening the front doors on my VC Vigilant to make an adjustment and had the wood shift forward so that I couldn't close the door all the way. Sometimes I can quickly fix it by hand with my fire glove. Sometimes I have to use a poker or the tongs. The thing is... the fire, of course, really starts roaring with the front doors open so it can be a bit of a challenge.

If the fire is going nicely and there's good draft, it doesn't bother me that it roars if I have to open the door to make adjustments. Just use good gloves and don't get your face too close.

My problem is if I let the coals burn down too much and I lose some draft. Opening the door to adjust the wood so it can get going again can be challenging to not let smoke in the house.

I know all stoves are different but with my Vigilant II, before I open the doors I make sure I throw the handle back to vertical burn. Then I barely crack the front doors and open it slowly, just a little bit to get a good vertical draft going. That way the smoke goes up the flue and not out the door. Then I open the door up all the way.

Mikefrommaine must have a Dutchwest Large cat. I LOVED my side door.

ecocavalier02 said:
i hate when i shut the door and and dont like the way the load looks and its already blazing.

I hate when you close the doors and you don't care what it looks like because you can't see a dang thing. Happens to me every time .

God, I wish I had glass doors. It'd take some of the guesswork out at any rate.

Battenkiller said:
God, I wish I had glass doors. It'd take some of the guesswork out at any rate.
I dunno... cherry red steel sends a pretty clear message too as does that "freight train" sound and that particular "smell".

After responding to the OP last night I finally got disgusted with the way the E/W load for overnight was burning and ended up turning it all around N/S mid burn. The tan is in fine shape for a few weeks.

this is why i love north to south loading easier and nothing ever falls towards the glass. i feel it burns better in my stove. plus the glass stays crystal clear

I have a small firebox, so yup happens more then I like but I just leave it alone. I'd be more afraid of it rolling out when opening up the door and in my clutzyness not being able to grab it before it catches something else on fire or I would drop it causing it to split into several smaller flaming balls.

It's much safer against the glass then in my control outside the stove.

The thought of cutting my wood to prolly 9" jus seems like more of a PITA than tryin to make sure its in there good. About an hour after I made this thread, the piece I adjusted fell!

Ha - my problem is that I have some splits that are almost exactly too long. Well, or just barely short enough. There are some that fit but if they happen to be where the door latch is the door won't shut. You can guess where this is leading, right? Of course I'm slowly learning to pay better attention... luckily for me I'm down to perhaps 20 of these splits left. Yeah, I should probably have trimmed them down but they are so close to fitting and if I get the door shut they are fine. Ug. Anyway - today I did have a scare as they were flaming pretty nice and I had trouble shutting the door. I had to lift the split up and to the side, stick a piece of kindling under it (flaming) to hold it out of the way and then shut the door quick before it all fell... All is well that ends well, right? Wife was like "what is that smell?".... "sorry dear - had to keep the door open a little longer than normal when I reloaded...." better to not fill her in all the details sometimes.

I'm firmly in the "leave it be" camp . . . especially after what happened a week or so ago when the wood moved (I try to be very careful with placement), a piece rolled up against the glass while it was in full blown secondary burn . . . and then I did the penultimate sin . . . I added more wood to the blazing fire . . . several mistakes made there . . . now . . . as in before . . . if the wood moves up against the glass after the secondaries have started up it's left there until the coaling stage . . . now if it happens right as I'm loading the stove, sure I'll move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.