Ever Hear of This Code????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
madrone said:
I don't understand the reluctance to install detectors. They're cheap insurance. They take 5 minutes to install. Why the heck not?

at what point did i ever express reluctance to install smoke detectors?? i will say it for the third time (maybe it will make a difference if i spell it out in caps??) -

I AM NOT OPPOSED TO INSTALLING SMOKE DETECTORS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND AND AM IN FULL SUPPORT OF THIS CODE!!!!!!!!

as stated before, i am merely asking if this can be mandated on a home that pre-dates the code when installing a woodstove. and many people have responded with great replies. i appreciate all the constuctive responses.

To directly answer your question; Yes, I believe they can.

My brother in law had the inspector over for something completely unrelated and ended up having to have the water heater moved and plumbing changed because the inspector saw it wasn't up to code while he was looking at the other work.

"Permits...We don't need no stinkin' permits..."

In response to the other comments; Yes! Put the damn things in; CO detectors as well.

I am a home inspector here in Alaska. In 2005 they passed a state law after some terrible deaths caused by cracked furnaces in South Central Alaska, that requires CO detectors on all levels of homes, as well as a smoke detector outside all bedrooms, and inside all bedrooms and other rooms over 70 sf with the exception of the kitchen and dining rooms. Basically, if there is a possibility that someone might sleep there, you need an alarm. Now, if it is new construction, all those smoke alarms have to be hardwired, and interconnected. In a retrofit, battery operated will do. And, yes, if you do major renovations, the type of renovations that will require a building permit and inspections from the city, they can require you to install hardwired smoke detectors. However, they can not ask you to interconnect them to parts of the house you are not renovating. Of course, like all codes, it is subject to the interpretation of the local code inspector. Don't piss him off!

i am merely asking if this can be mandated on a home that pre-dates the code when installing a woodstove.
If you have an older home with an old working wood stove nobody will actually ask you about smoke detectors. You are mostly grandfathered in.
Your town or city will probably not bother you.
But as soon as you change (a renovation) or in your case add a new item (wood stove) which requires an approval or a certificate from your town or city, you will automatically fall into the category of code compliance. Like it or not.
In this case we all agree it is to every ones advantage.
It is still a simple issue to deal with, which does not require a big investment.

John Cooper said:
Of course, like all codes, it is subject to the interpretation of the local code inspector. Don't piss him off!

Ain't that the truth. I used to be the CIO of a local government and one of my employees was having a new house built. There was a little inter-office conflict with the building department folks and it took four months longer to finish her house than it should have.

Of course that was eight years ago and I still can't guarantee that the Community Development department's email or budgeting systems will ever work right. :lol:

Don't piss off the IT Department either. :coolsmirk:

Didn't mean to upset you. It was this part:

have you ever heard of this smoke detector in each bedroom requirement? i’m hoping my wife misunderstood, but i won’t know until the inspector calls me back.....

that sounded like you were hoping for a different outcome.

i was hoping i didn't have to do this, it's just one more step in a process of many until i can finally start burning. thats not to say i do not understand the benefit or i would not eventually install them (especially when i have kids). however, i would not buy the cheapo "stick it on the wall and put in a battery" brand. they will be hardwired and done right - not the 5 minute fix.

anyway, i spoke with the inspector this morning and i do need to meet this code regardless of whether or not my home pre-dates it. i need one detector downstairs in the hallway, one upstairs in the hallway, one in the basement, and one in each bedroom. i also need a CO detector in the upstairs hallway. he will be looking at manufacturer specs on the stove/chimney and for these detectors.

this weekend i was hoping to run my chimney through the roof, but it's supposed to rain anyway, so i'll be working on meeting this code.... thanks to all for your help.

I'm wiring up our house addition and code says I have to have smoke detectors in each bedroom and all the units, including any I decide to install elsewhere, must be hardwired together.

Status
Not open for further replies.